24/f/nc animal advocate, especially for bullies :o)

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
amandasheets214
Newborn Bully

24/f/nc animal advocate, especially for bullies :o)

Postby amandasheets214 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi pit bull lovers! My name is Amanda, and I began my 5+ year career with animals by working for a veterinary clinic. I went through three 'kennel cleaning' jobs before I realized that it just wasn't satisfying enough, so now I currently work 3 days a week at a low-cost spay neuter clinic located at the APS of Orange County in Mebane, NC. Two days a week, I split my time between the APS adoption center and dog training facility. I have a wide variety of responsibilities that range from care giving at the adoption center, to designing and creating brochures, flyers, & other promotional materials for our entire organization. I occasionally get the opportunity to work with our shelter dogs by teaching basic training as well as socializing and playtime. This filters into some of my other duties such as writing personality descriptions and photographing our dogs to be posted on our website or on other boards advertising our available animals. I am an active participant in our fundraisers and special events throughout the year. Saturday mornings I volunteer my time to either assist or teach our Lifeskills training class that is offered to adopted shelter dogs and the general public. Every day is an adventure; I never know what I’ll be doing!

I became interested in pit bulls b/c our low-cost spay/neuter clinic at the APS of Orange County provides an even lower cost program for pits to encourage owners to get their dogs fixed, as well as promoting responsible ownership. Over the past few years I have simply fallen for the breed! Out of every 100 pits we alter, perhaps 2 have aggressive behaviors. These wonderful dogs are so full of love and trust for humans despite some of their bad pasts. The more good things I learned about pits over the years, the more I realized how much they suffer, and I wanted to do more to help. I couldn't wait to adopt a pit of my own and ended up adopting one from a foster mom that had rescued a pit from euthanasia at her local shelter. I couldn't wait any longer for our facility to get 'just the right dog' for us! My husband and I have 2 chihuahuas and 4 cats so it would take a special dog, especially a breed that is known for dog agression, to get along with our pack of critters. Daisy ended up being perfect, living in a foster home with 8 chihuahuas and a couple pomeranians!

Since getting Daisy my advocacy for the breed has skyrocketed. Last year I organized an event for the 1st ever Pit Bull Awareness Day, sponsored by the APS. We took an adoptable pit bull from the adoption center, handed out brochures with pit bull facts, and collected money for our clinic's Pit Bull Spay/Neuter program. The brochure I designed used a lot of info straight from the PBRC website and featured pictures of APS pit bull alumni as well as current adoptable pit bull mixes (and one stunning picture of my own Daisy!). I am currently co-organizing a big Halloween-themed pit bull event in honor of the 2nd Annual Pit Bull Awareness Day for the APS. It will again be raising money for our low-cost pit bull spay/neuter program. We have several pit bull rescues coming out and we are going to have food, costume contests, raffles, demos, etc and we plan on it being bigger each year.

Right now our home consists of our wonderful pit bulls Daisy & Ninja (we just added Ninja to our brood last month), the two chis, and 4 cats. Earlier this year we fostered a pit bull for APS and luckily she was adopted after only 10 days with us b/c her and Daisy got into scuffles quite a bit! Daisy has never put a mark on the chis or cats, but I learned that two same-sex pit bulls is truly, in general, not a great idea! We also fostered a ahy beagle that since has found a great home, and it was the very day she left that Ninja came into our lives. Some things are meant to be, although now our house is full and our fostering days are over for many years to come.

This past year I also became an official advocate for PBRC. I am glad to be a part of so many great organizations!

I look forward to seeing what this forum has to offer and meeting all of you!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Welcome to the forum!! And kudos toy you for your efforts. :))
I love the name Ninja.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:56 pm

Welcome!!!

I am in Raleigh, NC. Let me know next time there's an APBT awareness day...I'd love to attend! :))

amandasheets214
Newborn Bully

Postby amandasheets214 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:00 pm

jlphilli wrote:Welcome!!!

I am in Raleigh, NC. Let me know next time there's an APBT awareness day...I'd love to attend! :))

So glad you asked Miss Jill. I am planning it right now, and it is going to be AWESOME: http://www.animalprotectionsociety.org/events/pitbulldayevent.shtml

The link above has the latest info. I am working round the clock, in addition to all my other stuff, on this event that is near & dear to me. We still have a couple of months until the big day so clear your schedule on October 25, 2008!

amandasheets214
Newborn Bully

Postby amandasheets214 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:02 pm

Allie wrote:I love the name Ninja.

It took us forever to come up with a suitable, fun name. But he has a quirk with his back legs where he kicks them constantly out when he is laying down, it's like a muscle spasm. And we are always making Ninja jokes (don't ask LOL) .... so ... 'Ninja' was born LOL

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Thanks for the info! I will certainly be there! :)) Let me know if I can do anything to help out!

amandasheets214
Newborn Bully

Postby amandasheets214 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:21 pm

jlphilli wrote:Thanks for the info! I will certainly be there! :)) Let me know if I can do anything to help out!

I most definitely will. Are you planning on bringing your dog? Do you have a MySpace? AIM SN? It's now 20 questions time LOL.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Sending you a PM :)

working class hero
Newborn Bully

Postby working class hero » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:14 am

welcome to the site,

Wingnutz13
Newborn Bully

Postby Wingnutz13 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:23 am

:modwelcomeonly3:
:peace:

sueb
Addicted to PBF

Postby sueb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:14 am

What a great intro! Welcome to the forum!

I'm surprised no one's pestered you for pictures yet. We LOVE pictures!

amandasheets214
Newborn Bully

Photos

Postby amandasheets214 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:54 pm

If anyone wants to see my pictures, just go to my MySpace, I have a whole photo album dedicated to my babies :) http://www.myspace.com/pandasheets And thank you guys for the welcome wagon!

benny*kaya*sadie
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby benny*kaya*sadie » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:23 am

welcome to pbf!!!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Welcome to PBF, and thanks for your efforts for the breed.

Return to “Introductions”