Another from Texas!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
RuffMuttK9z

Another from Texas!

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:53 am

Hello everyone! My name is Debbie and I live near Dallas with a large pack of dogs, mostly border collies. By day I am a chemist and by night and weekend I am a dog rescuer/pack wrangler. I am no stranger to dog behavior, interaction, care, etc, but I am a newbie to the amazing APBT breed. I have admired the breed for years but have been weary to obtain one myself for fear of being 'that' bad owner, despite my knowledge of dogs in general. I'm not stupid. Border Collies are no angels (in fact, fewer BCs pass the ATT than APBTs) and like APBTs, they typically do not do well in situations such as dog parks and as rescuers we rarely place them in homes with children. But if/when I obtained an APBT I wanted to do right by it and make it a great ambassador of the breed, not just a cooped up housepet. I am highly competitive in dog sports such as frisbee, agility and scootering so I wanted a dog that could get out there and show off the wonderful things this breed can do.

Last week while browsing a shelter's website for BCs in need of rescue a sweet face caught my eye. Here in Dallas there are APBTs galore so you learn to suck it up and browse by them time and again. But this guy's picture spoke to me. I looked at his picture for a week waiting for another rescue to step up for him (this particular shelter only lets APBTs go to rescue, not adoption) but no one did. I consulted with a couple of other rescuers to get their opinion and after setting up what amounted to a safety net for this guy in case he did not work out in my home, I agreed to foster him. I was admittedly a little nervous because I haven't ever dealt directly with this breed. OMG! He is the sweetest dog ever! He let me check him out and vaccinate him. He was a total DOLL to the vet staff and everyone there just fell in love with him. For the first couple of days I let him out back by himself, then with only a couple of dogs and then with all (18) of them. He is a perfect angel in every situation I have put him in so far. My silly border collies are the ones I should have been worrying about! They wanted to sniff him from head-to-toe and hump him and figure out what the heck he was because, admittedly, he looks quite different from the rest of the dogs here! He never flinched once, never showed a tooth, raised a hackle, nothing. In fact he mostly just ignored the other dogs, even when they were being extremely rude to him! **Please keep in mind that although I've never dealt directly with APBTs I do have a pretty broad knowledge of dog behavior and body language and have broken up/prevented many fights. I've fostered over 150 dogs in the past 2 years alone.**

At this point I am not entirely sure that he will be staying forever or not. I have 10 other dogs to think about that are my own and I need to give them all a significant amount of time to decide whether or not they can all live together harmoniously. Dex, the APBT, is right around 14mos old so in a few months he could decide that he doesn't want to live with a bunch of other dogs and that would be fine. He is still intact but as soon as he gets over his kennel cough from the shelter that will change. At this point we are seeing how things go. I'd love to add this sweet guy to my pack but that will largely be his decision. If he doesn't want to stay here, I will of course find him the perfect forever home and he can stay here until that home comes along.

If you're interested, you can read more about me and my BC rescue at: http://ruffmutts.com

But, for the most important part of this post...pictures of the handsome Dex man!

O hai!

A huge plus in my eyes--Dex loves balls and frisbees!!

And in case anyone's interested, here's a picture of my pack of crazy Border Collies:

Aubrey
Newborn Bully

Postby Aubrey » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:07 am

Welcome!! Beautiful dogs!

lamom5
Adolescent Bully

Postby lamom5 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:27 pm

OMG :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
He is so handsome :pimp:
The Border collies are gorgeous, getting them all to stay put now that is a miracle :thumbsup:

psyho
Newborn Bully

Postby psyho » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:33 pm

:modwelcomeonly3:

bethh
Super Bully

Postby bethh » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:36 pm

I love the pics! Thanks for all the work you do. I know a border collie - he's very serious and likes to nip at people's legs & rear ends. :)

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:38 pm

Well BCs and APBTs certainly are two very different breeds! My BCs are all very serious and extremely attentive to my every move. Dex is very attentive but so far much less serious. I hope to change that in regard to desire to play frisbee, etc. Right now he does chase/retrieve but he'd rather have me chase him than throw it again, lol. He's also much more easily distracted. But again, this can happen in BCs as well and is typically fairly easy to work through to build drive.

love_gingers
Newborn Bully

Postby love_gingers » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:56 pm

You must have a lot of patience to deal with so many Border Collies! Your new pup is a beauty. :thumbsup: Welcome!

Obed
Forum Junky

Postby Obed » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:57 am

your pup is really nice!... geeze wish I had room for one more, I would drive to Dallas and take him off your hands.... thanks for what you do for dogs.

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:40 pm

I'm hoping he won't NEED to be taken off of my hands. I quite like him myself at this point :inlove:

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:40 am

Since I can't post anywhere else yet I am hoping someone that can answer my questions will read this.

I'm interested in getting Dex into weight pulling but am unsure about a couple of things. First, is there a particular structure one looks for in a weight pull dog? If so, does Dex appear to fit that structure at all? Don't be afraid to tell me he doesn't appear to be a good candidate for the sport. I'm only concerned about his welfare and don't want to get him into a sport which he is not suited for so your honest (and knowledgeable, please) input is appreciated. At this point he is overweight IMO (I like to see and feel ribs) and his muscles lack any sort of tone and definition. I've only had him for one week today so I hope soon he will be looking much more fit. I understand the need for hip x-rays, etc, before beginning such strenuous activity. The same is true of my BCs when they do agility and such.

Next, from what I can gather, a dog cannot compete in ADBA weight pull if it is not registered, am I right? I was hoping that an LLP would grant Dex the opportunity to compete in weight pull but the way I understand the ADBA website, it does not. So are there any other venues besides the ADBA that host weight pull competitions that may be open to APBTs that are, for one reason or another, unregisterable?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:27 am

Anyone?!

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:39 pm

I get the feeling that not very many regularly posting members actually read this section.

*twiddles thumbs*

Maybe if I go buy a Collarmania collar (or 10) and an Ella's lead someone will answer my questions. ;)

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:47 pm

Welcome to PBF!

You could get an LP through UKC ( ukcdogs.com ) and wp with them :)
Good luck with him!

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks! I've been hunting for that answer on these forums for the last couple of days but in the 'Pit Bull Forum Resource Section,' where it says there is info on weight pull organizations, but I found nothing. I appreciate your response!

Now...back to twiddling my thumbs until I can post everywhere else! Image

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks! I've been hunting for that answer on these forums for the last couple of days but in the 'Pit Bull Forum Resource Section,' where it says there is info on weight pull organizations, but I found nothing. I appreciate your response!

Now...back to twiddling my thumbs until I can post everywhere else! Image

Return to “Introductions”