Hello! New owner here, LONG story, would LOVE your input!!!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
AprilArchambeau
Newborn Bully

Hello! New owner here, LONG story, would LOVE your input!!!

Postby AprilArchambeau » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:31 pm

Hello, my name is April, I just got a Pitbull puppy for my birthday yesterday. I have had one Pitbull before, got her at 8 weeks. I have been around alot though. I thought from day one she was small, we took her to the vet he said she was fine, so at 2 years full grown she was 20 lbs, and she started losing control of everything and would not eat so we did testing on her and found out she was inbred and her liver never developed, we had to put her down :sad: . The vet said that all of the puppies from her litters would die if they already have not, and I no longer had the breeder's number to let them know of this.

Anywho, I also have a Pug named Shadow who is 7 1/2 months. He is VERY hyper, and my husband took me away for the weekend and his mother watched our 1 year old daughter and our Pug, she has a boxer/pitbull mix and 2 small yappy dogs. My dog did WONDERFUL was not hyper, and was all over happier.

I told my husband since we decided to get another dog I wanted to pick out the breed, he knew what I would choose, then I got this long spiel about how they are mean blah blah blah. Its all in HOW you raise them, if you are very gentle, never hit, show nothing but love and the dog grows up around kids they are fine and wonderful family companions.

So I find this ad in the newspaper, 2 hours away. Parents on premises, I called her yesterday and she goes on and on about how they have been breeders for 5+ years and they only had this one Pit left, so I go up there excited because I know I am coming home with a dog. We got there and, although the people were nice, it was VERY dirty, they vaccinated the dogs with the shots form Tractor Supply (not sure if that's bad or not) each Pit was in its own pen outside (they had the mommy and baby in one of course) and then there was the father in the next, the grandmother in one, and the grandfather, and the 8 month old that was going to be their next dog to breed.

I was a little uneasy when the guy explained he was dumb when he was young and fought them and has realized how much of a terrific breed they are and stopped over 10 years ago. I looked over all of them very well, no fighting marks and they LOVED the baby. Although she felt a little overwhelmed and was like mamama waaaa lol. So we bought her for $100, I only paid for her because I wanted her so bad, she did not come with papers, and IMO I do not think a dog should be for sale without papers, but papers do not matter to me because as soon as she is old enough (6 months) I will have her spayed.

So I get her home 2 hours later (she was wonderful on the way home by the way :) ) and she was very shy, which is expected she just got taken away from her mommy. Today, I tried to feed her, the same food that my Pug is on and the same food she has been on, Purina puppy chow, and she wont touch it. I tried everything. She is just very timid right now.

Now the part that was unexpected to me, my Pug is very annoying and I knew he would sniff her but until the cows came home, as soon as I let them meet, she LUNGED on top of him and started cleaning his ears and they are completely inseparable, they have separate beds but she likes to sleep on top of him lol.

I purchased everything she needs and a 36 inch crate today so she will begin crate training when she is comfortable with us and our home in a week or two, for now she is sleeping with us....

So now the questions. Once she starts eating again (which I am not sure if its bad or not, but I have been giving her baby food) how many cups a day should I feed her? I thought 3-4, probably 3 1/2

How often should I take her out at night? I know in the daytime its every 2 hours (sometimes 45 minutes) because they play so much, but last night, the first part of sleep I took her out after 3, she went pee, and we went back to bed for 4 more hours and she was fine, is this acceptable?

Sorry for babbling so much, I have so much to add but I will wait until later, just wanted to introduce myself and make new friends for us!

Here are a few pics of my girl/guy, and btw, her name is Destiny :))

lamom5
Adolescent Bully

Postby lamom5 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:37 pm

:inlove: :inlove: Welcome, they are both soooo adorable.

AprilArchambeau
Newborn Bully

Postby AprilArchambeau » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Thank you VERY much :)) . I love my babies :)

AprilArchambeau
Newborn Bully

Postby AprilArchambeau » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:41 pm

Guess I cannot edit, but I will add here, she has her first checkup on December 1st, I also made an apt. for my Pug to be neutered also. They said that you really cannot "overdose" a dog on puppy shots so they are going to just give him the proper dose for his age, I waited until December 1st that way she can her rabies shot also on that day :) . She is "supposedly" 10 weeks, I will let the vet give me a better idea though.

PitBoss208
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBoss208 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:44 pm

My chihuahua and my pit mix are inseperable too, she even sleeps ontop of him lol.

Anywhoo the guy sounds like a backyard breeder, though he didn't overcharge you for the dog suprisingly, and in my opinion its whatever you are willing to take a risk on without knowing the dogs history :)

Shots from Tractor supply are fine, I give all my own shots except Rabies since that HAS to be done at a vet. Some vets will accept that you give your own, some will require that they give them just to make sure its done correctly. Did they give you a record of her shots to take with you? If not you will most likely have to do them again.

I feed my adults a cup of day of kibble and will sometimes mix in some yogurt or a raw egg or two. For my pups I give a cup and a half to two cups a day depending on the pup. Also puppy chow is not the healthiest food you could feed, it contains a lot of fillers and empy ingrediants. Here is a website that breaks down foods by ingrediants and gives you an idea of what food best fits you price and content wise.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... /index.php
Some is more expensive than other but Blue Buffalo seems to be a good, fairly inexpensive one that people go with.

She is a very cute pup though! And your pug is adorable!

bethh
Super Bully

Postby bethh » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:20 pm

They are adorable!!!! :inlove: Wish I could borrow them.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:52 pm

Adorable! I love her ears! (Though they will change, of course) The guy you got her from sounds like a back yard breeder, hopefully she won't have the same type of health issues your poor first pup had (that must have been awful for you and for her!)

Keep an eye on that thin fur around her eyes and the top of her head, it's most likely Demodex and either her immune system will get it under control or it will get worse and need treatment.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:56 pm

AprilArchambeau wrote:Guess I cannot edit, but I will add here, she has her first checkup on December 1st, I also made an apt. for my Pug to be neutered also. They said that you really cannot "overdose" a dog on puppy shots so they are going to just give him the proper dose for his age, I waited until December 1st that way she can her rabies shot also on that day :) . She is "supposedly" 10 weeks, I will let the vet give me a better idea though.

I would get her in before that. She will need boosters anyway, so one Vet visit isn't going to do it. She needs to be de-wormed etc.

AprilArchambeau
Newborn Bully

Postby AprilArchambeau » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:41 pm

Well I just found out her birthday was August 20th, and if you count the weeks she is 12 weeks now, so I am going to call the vet in the morning and get the next available visit. I was wondering about the little pin dot bald spot on her head, my Pug has one also, but he came from a Pet store so that was a puppy mill I am sure, I know he might have problems, but I could not stand letting him in those conditions I had to rescue him :sad:

Razors_Diesel
Matured Bully

Postby Razors_Diesel » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:45 pm

WELCOME!!
WHAT A CUTIE

pitbullforever
Bully Ambassador

Postby pitbullforever » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:55 pm

welcome sounds like your doing a GREAT job!!!!!!!!!! to answer your potty question a puppy can hold it their age in months plus 2 so she's 12 weeks old she can hold it 5 hours hope that helps. i love reading posts where one of the first things people talk about is getting them vaccinated and spayed/neutered GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:03 pm

She's a cutie! Welcome to PBF.

By baby food, do you mean puppy food, or real human baby food? If the latter, get her off that asap. She looks like she may be a little malnourished, so get her on some really good quality kibble food asap :)

madremissy
Adolescent Bully

Postby madremissy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:28 pm

:inlove: Cuteness galore. Welcome.

AprilArchambeau
Newborn Bully

Postby AprilArchambeau » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 pm

I know this sounds weird, I dont even know if anyone is on here or not, but could someone thats free pm me and i will give you my number, im freaking out, something happened to the pug during playtime

AprilArchambeau
Newborn Bully

Postby AprilArchambeau » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:48 pm

Actually I cannot pm so if there is someone on post on this thread and I will post my number and then erase that when you call....

Return to “Introductions”