Hello!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:32 pm

:welcome:
Your dog is very cute. I was honestly expecting to see a black labrador with the faintest traces of pittie, but was very surprised to see such a beautiful pittie girl. You could have the vet sedate her to trim her nails, we have to restrain Dolly to do hers, so it takes two of us. You can probably fine the proper restraining methods outlined on the internet somewhere. It makes it easier, the dog can still wiggle a bit but shouldn't be able to break your hold. Also, with Dolly I muzzle her when I clip her nails because she is a rescue, I don't know what her reactions to fear may be, its not that I don't trust her, its just to be on the safe side... Anyway, welcome to the forum, there is a lot of great info and great people here :)

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:49 pm

GOOD ANSWER!
Breeding pit bulls is pretty much unethical unless you're breeding A-1 top quality perfect examples with absolutely 1000% perfect temperament registered american pit bull terriers (IMO anyway) there are so many in rescue. Dolly is a mix to. You could probably find a decent muzzle for a modest price on ebay. We don't use the wire one on Dolly when we trim her nails, I hate the look of them, they make any dog look like a terror, we use the fabric one with the velcro. She can't get it off because we're restraining her. I wish you luck with the nail endeavor.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Welcome to PBF!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:05 am

I was honestly expecting to see a black labrador with the faintest traces of pittie, but was very surprised to see such a beautiful pittie girl.

Me too! She's beautiful! I'm not sure where you got her, but it is quite common for rescues to label Pits as Pit mixes to make them more adoptable. Especially in states like Ohio, where BSL (breed specific legislation) and breed prejudice run deep. The full drop ears do not mean Lab, plenty of our dogs have full drop (Labby) ears.

Since you are going to spay her, I would have the vet trim her nails the first time while she is under. In the mean time, work with handling her feet. Hold her paw (no clippers) and treat her for letting you hold it without fighting. Shake (or Give Paw) is a great trick to work on to teach her that her giving you her paw = her getting rewarded.
Dremels (like the Pedi-Paw thing that is so popular now) are also nice. Some dogs that HATE nail trimming will allow you to dremel (grind) them when properly desensetized to the sound. (warning, it stinks, but they are SMOOTH)

Welcome to the board!

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:27 am

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:01 pm

Welcome Chelsea. Dae is gorgeous :inlove:

haranka
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby haranka » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:11 pm

hi chelsea

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:15 am

Hm, don't let their comming into heat be an indicator of age. I knew a pup who came into heat as early as 4 months of age, while thats not common, nor normal probably, it happens. Dolly was in heat when we brought her home. The rescue asked us if we wanted to do a trial with her before her vet appointment, and I was so anxious that I couldn't refuse. So we brought her home and when she went to the vets they estimated her at less than a year. I had originally thought that she was between 1 - 2 years old. Thankfully, her age explains her neurotic puppy behaviour... atleast the endless energy, bouncing off of walls, chewing, and 24/7 play mode lol.

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:16 am

should've mentioned that I re read the original post and thats what spurred me into mentioning the above post. Sorry, I'm a little on the burnt out side lol

Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Ariel Payopay » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:06 pm

:modwelcomeonly1:

Return to “Introductions”