Hello from Vancouver

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
TooTall
Newborn Bully

Hello from Vancouver

Postby TooTall » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi All,

Hello from Vancouver

I've been lurking for a year and half now. Great articles on training and diet and most importantly, great atmosphere with you, the contributors. Today it was raw food research and the Vick thread that linked to Badrap to the Sports Illustrated article. The SI article messed me up. If you haven't read it yet, please do so.

I've been a SPCA volunteer at various branches for years and have had two other pitties that I fostered back to health as they recovered from surgeries. They trusted me on a couple of occasions with this breed that they don't take lightly. Anyways, the third time, and most recent time, was ment as a temporary shuffle half way across Canada from one shelter that has a "non-adoption" policy and get him, The Jakester, to the rescue society in Vancouver that does great work with our politicians and education, but most importantly, assures that they only foster out to forever homes ambassadors of the breed.

I love to walk and walk with dogs. My second home is in an area of Canada where we have grasslands and one can walk easily in the wild without the need of trails. The dogs love it. Streams and rivers and lakes everywhere without a soul in sight. SPCA dogs that wont wander from the pack, often join me. This trust led to me to an unusual incident. Walking into the shelter one normal day, I was greeted by an employee that I've grown to know, all upset about a dog that I was told was destined for the pizza oven. She begged me to get him out as he was "awesome" and there for no fault of his own; just dropped off by an irresponsible owner that gave up after 8 months. Apparently, they don't even do incoming paper work on this breed and hence no records to show of their fate. Not all SPCA branches are the same, unfortunately. Policy is all too often left up to the opinions and judgments of the manager. This incident and her opposing views, soon numbered her days there.

I've been lurking for a year and half now since I brought home Jake. I started doing more research on the breed as she was clearly correct. This dog is awesome and it was beginning to look like he found his forever-home with me. Over the course of a week, I put him into as many temperament stressing situations as possible as my dogs go everywhere with me. This includes work, strolls on the street for groceries or coffee with friends, and of course any car ride possible. We went to county fairs, soccer tournaments, up and down main street, and visited everyone I knew that had dogs. Staying close and getting along great, he roamed free on 15 acres with the others. In the car, he'd see other dogs on the street and wag his tail. Strangers approaching the car in parking lots, the same. Calm, cool, and collected everywhere. So off to doggie day care and get the owners opinion after a day with a dozen other dogs. "Full of confidence and relaxed, kept his cool around the twitchy ones, responsive to verbal cues from a stranger. No outbursts, no issues, a keeper." was the verdict. And so it's been for a year and half.

It matters none but I'm confident I have a pit mix. I've always had mutts and have dogs for personalities, not vanity. Nevertheless, this dog and my reading elsewhere shows that these dogs are fantastic. I'm so glad that I joined the club. Jake here has changed so many peoples minds about the breed. We didn't need puppy dog training classes as I've trained many and teach others how to do basics. But we registered anyways to keep him around other dogs and have a bit of fun. He was the star of the classes and soon people started thinking for themselves once they saw him keep his cool while the golden retrievers and border collies were losing it. They loved how one word was all that was needed while he wagged his tail obeying. They wondered why I was there. They thought he was special, or rare. I said he's typical for the breed. "Oh really?" is the response. "How come he doesn't want to fight all the others?" was the next question.

He's settled right in with my other. A 11 year old sheppard cross that is a bit bossy. He "lets" her get away with it but is amazing how she has accepted him. My sister had the typical media induced opinion when she first met him. She actually freaked when she first saw him and ordered me to get him away from her 1 year old. It took over a month for her to relax thinking always that a "dingo ate my baby". A couple months later on the patio and after a barbecue, her 1yr old offered my Jake a steak bone. Jake slowly and gently reached out and accepted it. She immediately whined and demanded it back. He didn't bolt with his prize. Instead, Jake raised his head like he was dropping a tennis ball in her hand and when she got a hold of the bone, he let go. They both stood there staring at one another. Jake waggin his tail, the child smiling. The exchange happened again like a game. I looked at my sister with a "See!" look on my face, she looked at me with a "sorry", and that was all it took for Jake to apart of her pod. That, and a few links from the net about the difference between animal and human aggression and pitties with children, and the media illusion was shattered.

I'm "Too Tall" and thought I'd register and share my success story. Thanks for a great forum, you've made it a valuable resource for me.

Here's Jake. Isn't he handsome?

Peace.

Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

Postby Ariel Payopay » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:59 am

Excellent intro! :thumbsup: :modwelcomeonly1:

TooTall
Newborn Bully

Postby TooTall » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:55 pm

Thanks very much!

SophiazMom
Newborn Bully

Postby SophiazMom » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Welcome to the forums! Thank you for posting such an inspiring introduction.

Love the pics and Jake is so handsome and regal. :)

TooTall
Newborn Bully

Postby TooTall » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:44 pm

SophiazMom wrote:Welcome to the forums! Thank you for posting such an inspiring introduction.

Love the pics and Jake is so handsome and regal. :)

cheers, SophiazMom! I see we're almost neighbours. Although I'm closer to Calgary at the moment at my second residence. He's a ham with the camera, that's for sure. So many nose marks on my lens 8)

My only regret is not being able to go to off leash dog parks. When I got my first rescue, Lab X Pointer, 15 years ago, this quickly became a favorite past time. She passed on three years ago. Although Jake here wouldn't start anything and I'm "on it" when he's around other dogs, he most certainly would finish it and then blamed. There's too many excited dogs charging him for his ball and just can't trust other dogs to be as level headed so I don't risk it. The last thing the breed needs is another headline.

Where I am now though, on acreage that backs onto a million acres of crown land, I either chase him in the little 4x4 or on my mountain bike. I'm amazed at how fit this dog is and how he never wears out or pants or stops for a break. Today it was 7klm's up a forest road, i got stuck in the snow and backed all the way down. He was sad when it was time to get back in the truck.

We started agility in the fall. I'm looking forward to the spring when we can pick it up again.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:55 am

:inlove: stunning boy!
welcome to pbf!

Loud Mouf
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Loud Mouf » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:46 am

Welcome to PBF and I am sure you will have lots of good input to add.

Love that color!!!!

DharmaGirl
Newborn Bully

Postby DharmaGirl » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:05 pm

Great intro and great job on the rescue. It sounds like you give your dogs a great life! I spent 4 years in Rossland, BC in the Kootenays. It's a tiny ski town (home to Red Mountain) with 3000 people and 1500 dogs! Such a great environment to have active dogs. My fiance is from Maple Ridge and we wish we still had access to the wilderness that you have up there! I guess the beach will have to do! Welcome to the forum!

Return to “Introductions”