Hello from NYC

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
jocy
Newborn Bully

Hello from NYC

Postby jocy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:48 am

Hello, my name is Jocelyn, and I recently adopted a 5 and half year old pitbull terrier mix from a local no kill shelter here in NYC.

My bf and I adopted her because he absolutely loves pitbulls. His first dog was also a pitbull mix, whom currently lives with his parents on the West Coast. We love how pitbulls are high energy dogs and are willing to please people.

Our newly adopted pitbull mix is named Telli. The shelter gave her that name, and she responds to it, so we decided to keep the name. The only info I know is that she previously had an owner, who passed away. Her daughter tried to take care of her but didn't have the time, so she ended up at the shelter.

Based on her behavior for the past 2 weeks, my bf and I guess that she must have been in a home in the suburbs with a backyard. She has been and is the perfect pet at home. She doesn't bother us when we eat dinner, fully house trained, doesn't jump on the couches, or go into the bedrooms.

In the past 2 weeks, we've noticed that has fear aggression against people and dogs. We currently walk/jog/run her 3 times a day, so she's been more comfortable with people and hasn't barked and growled at strangers anymore. We're currently working on the dog aggression; that's been quite a challenge. I joined the forum in hopes to learn even more about pitbulls.

They are a handful at times, but with some elbow grease, they are such wonderful pets! Here are two pictures below:

This one below was when we first brought her home. She had lyme disease and wasn't feeling too well. She could barely walk.
http://flickr.com/photos/j0cy0223/3108939779/in/set-72157611272488488/

This picture was about a week and a half later and feeling much better!
http://flickr.com/photos/j0cy0223/3140361948/in/set-72157611272488488/

Chaosdog05
Newborn Bully

Postby Chaosdog05 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:36 am

Welcome to PBF!

DharmaGirl
Newborn Bully

Postby DharmaGirl » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:49 pm

Congrats on the rescue! I love the shining smile! :)

spammie

Postby spammie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi Jocelyn and welcome to the forum.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Welcome. There's lots of advice you may find helpful in the training forum, especially with adopting older dogs. Though it's on the late side, look at the "2 weeks, give them a break" sticky there.

Return to “Introductions”