New pup in NJ

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Welcome to the forum!! And THANK YOU for adopting.
As far as the being scared of the outdoors... it could very well be due to his previous home. My own girl was TERRIFIED of the outdoors when we adopted her. It took a long time and a lot of work to get her comfortable, and yet she still gets nervous at times and of certain things (like going out the front door. We've been working on that one forever, it seems).
Check out the training section. There is a sticky about the "Two weeks, give em a break" that may help. Building trust and a bond between you and the dog will be key in working with the issue. Be patient! It will be worth it.
:hug:
And for the pottytraining... please also be patient. My girl Sid took about 6 months or so after we adopted her to become fully housetrained. I know how difficult that is with a dog who is afraid of the outdoors.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:41 am

welcome to the forum!

thanks for adopting, im sure stewie appreciates it as well. as far as fear of the outdoors goes i dont really have any suggestiongs, except make sure your taking him back inside when YOU want to go inside (dont let him think his whining is getting him back in.)

sneakysnook
Newborn Bully

Postby sneakysnook » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 am

Welcome! Have you tried to lure him outside using treats? Lure him out with treats and as long as he is not whining give him more treats. Start with every minute he is outside he gets a treat and then extend it to every two minutes and just keep it going longer and longer. And when he does pee or poop outside give him a treat for it. The treat don't have to be big. I use anything I can break into small pieces. Hope this helps.

brannybritchcock
Adolescent Bully

Postby brannybritchcock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:19 am

i suppose he could be cold. i've heard/read that if it's cold for you, it's definitely cold for him. have you looked into clicker training and positive reinforcement training? i would take the pup outside and any "normal behavior" that he exhibits while being outside you could treat him for. making outside time fun is job 1. good luck and welcome to the forum

love for ba brody
Bully Ambassador

Postby love for ba brody » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:09 pm

Welcome to PBF!!

pitbullgrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullgrl » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:12 pm

welcome!

sneakysnook
Newborn Bully

Postby sneakysnook » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Treat always seem to work. But make sure you keep your dog warm also.

jesse
Adolescent Bully

Postby jesse » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:51 am

Hello and welcome :))

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:05 pm

Welcome to PBF!

Return to “Introductions”