Hello, new here with some questions

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
purpledoggy
Newborn Bully

Hello, new here with some questions

Postby purpledoggy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi all I'm new here and I don't own a pit bull just a husband, one year old daughter and 3 year old cat. We have been looking to adopt a pit bull or pit bull mix. We wanted to get one from a rescue and thought we had found a good match in a one year old female pit mix we found at the local shelter. She had an unknown background and turned out to be very animal aggressive so we had to bring her back to the shelter. I've been trying to better educate myself by talking to other owners, reading books and researching on the web. I have two questions that I was wondering if some experienced owners could answer for me......

1) Are pits really that much more dog aggressive then other breeds? I've known other dogs of different breeds/mixes that were very dog aggressive. I understand that some dogs will be aggressive and some won't. Are pits that much more prone to be or become aggressive as opposed to other breeds or is it just they have such a bad public image that people are overly cautious about the breed?

2) We have been thinking of adopting a puppy as opposed to an adult. My one year old daughter is still in the crawling faze so I know she will be pounced on by whatever puppy we adopt. Now I never EVER let my daughter alone with any animal even my cat who I trust. Children and animals just shouldn't be left alone unsupervised, there are just too many unintentional accidents that could happen. Does anyone here have any experience with young children and puppies that could offer me some advice on how to handle the kiddie puppy interaction?

I'm trying to educate myself as best I can. Whatever dog we do adopt will be going to obedience training and I want them to get their canine good citizen. Any help or information would be great :)

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:11 pm

We have a 17 week old APBT and 3 kids, the youngest being 3 years old. Although, we get the typical puppy play out of her with the kids, she is rather well behaved around them. She has taken to all my kids ALOT better and ALOT faster than I though she would. I have taught my kids how to approach her, especially our 3 year old. he can actually lead her around the house (until she finds something that sparks her terrier instincts) But I would have to say that it may be dog specific and not breed specific if you know what I mean. IMO with proper care and upbringing, any dog can be made into a well suited family dog. Then again that is just MY OPINION

Obed
Forum Junky

Postby Obed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:22 am

welcome to the forum

jesse
Adolescent Bully

Postby jesse » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:00 am

hello and welcome

purpledoggy
Newborn Bully

Postby purpledoggy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:31 am

I guess I should also put I'm located in Maryland lol. I kind of left that out.

twilliams558
Adolescent Bully

Postby twilliams558 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:51 am

I adopted my pit bull from my local animal shelter. I have two cats at home and wanted to make sure that the dog i got did not act like they wanted to kill cats and that the dog would at least tolerate cats.

Since the animal shelter does not cat test their dogs i requested that they take the dog into their cat holding area with me present. You know the one where they have the cats in cages. This worked well for me as i could then see if the dog charged the cage's, showed interest or just flat ignored the cats.

1)dog agression - In my pit's case he is not dog agressive at all. He is very tolerant of both my cats and of other dogs. Actually my female simese mix rules the house my dog will walk by her with his head turned the other way. Its too funny to watch. a big pit bull ruled by a fat cat..lol

2)children - My dog is 2 to 3 years of age. I didnt want to go thru the whole puppy stage and i wanted a dog most people would not want to adopt. As far as children goes he is very gentle and tolerante of kids. My neice has two small children and stayed with me for a few days while she was in town. Oliver (my apbt) would follow them around and play with them for hours. He would even play tug, by holding on to the toy and letting them pull.

So i guess my whole point is it all depends on the dog. Go to the pound to look at them all, older and puppies. Bring your children with you and see how the dog interacts with you, then introduce them to your children and some pound cats. Good luck in your search.

purpledoggy
Newborn Bully

Postby purpledoggy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:21 pm

Thank you for the replies, I've been surfing the forum to better educate myself. :))

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:28 pm

:modwelcomeonly1:

Many APBT's are dog aggressive, and/or aggressive towards other animals. If you are looking for a dog that will integrate well into your household, I'd recommend adopting an older (adult) dog that has been in a foster home for a few months, one w/both cats and kids.

Return to “Introductions”