4 weeks with my foster

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
TofuKat
Newborn Bully

4 weeks with my foster

Postby TofuKat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 am

Hi, I just found this forum after searching for information on hives and allergies in pit bulls.

I have a foster pitt bull from our local shelter who is about a year old and a really great dog. She has a few issues such as allergies, needs more training, anxiety and this recent bout of hives. Nothing too serious really, but all things I want to get educated on so she's comfortable.

Right now my goal is to adopt her out to a forever home, but of course that's on hold momentarily until I figure out what's up with her allergies.

Can't wait to learn more about pitt bulls and their care! I love my foster pitt---such a friendly, goof ball!

spammie

Re: 4 weeks with my foster

Postby spammie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:47 pm

There are several members here who have experience with those issues.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:46 am

Hi TofuKat, could we get a little more introduction please? Stuff like, what attracts you to this breed, an outline of your dog experience, and your general location? This sample introduction might help. :thumbsup:

TofuKat
Newborn Bully

Postby TofuKat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:58 pm

A little more...

I'm located in the Philly suburbs and have been extremely active with cat rescue. To make a long story short, the reason why I have a foster pit is because my fiance is allergic to cats. We really wanted a dog since we both grew up with dogs, but at our stage in life full time ownership is a little difficult.

So...I began fostering through my local SPCA because they have SO many needy pits. Virtually every dog there is a pit or pit mix and nearly every one will be euthanized (they have a VERY high rate of euthanasia). I became interested in pits over time---mainly when I found out they weren't vicious man eaters. Now it just burns me up that they have a horrible reputation and I try to educate people as much as I can because they don't deserve the stigma. I'm glad I know about pits now because I grew up as a kid being taught that they were a bad breed :twisted:

I took Maggie home and have the intention to find a home for her. Since I'm still involved in the cat rescue (just not fostering or owning cats), I have many contacts that make this a feasible idea. Currently Maggie needs to be spayed before she goes out to her forever home.

Two days ago she came down with hives and was really suffering. I took her to the vet and she's doing much better now! I'm really enjoying reading about different pit issues, including allergy care. Since this is my first pit bull, I really need to learn breed specific care!

I've had dogs my whole life, but mainly poodles, Jack Russell Terriers and labs. I'm so glad I discovered pits because this is such a special breed!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:34 pm

Welcome to the forum. I have a little girl with very bad allergies. Tons of info on the site-- glad you made your way here. :thumbsup:

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:28 am

:modwelcomeonly1:

Return to “Introductions”