Welcome Home Kylie (several pics!)

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Welcome Home Kylie (several pics!)

Postby KsMomma » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm Carrie, and our family just adopted yesterday a sweet little girl, Kylie, from a local rescue group. We have three daughters (5, 3, 3) and a 10yo kittie named Lucas and live in NC, US. We made her a sign, see?

She appears to be a pit mix, and is smallish at 35 pounds. She is thought to be between 18mo-2yrs. She may actually be a tad underweight, as most of her ribs are visible. She came to us crate and house trained. Wow!

She's great with the kids overall, but seems to get overwhelmed after a while. It is a new thing for us all. We weren't looking for a pit or any breed in particular, but one look at Kylie and I fell in love. I'm so happy that it worked out that we were compatible for each other. :inlove: Kylie has been in foster care for 2 1/2 months - before that she was a intact stray. She has never been pregnant.

Right now, she can sit and stay, and sometimes responds to "leave it" and "drop it" for when she tries to grab something that isn't hers. She doesn't walk well on a leash, but I'm happy to say that she's pretty focused on our walks. She will stop to smell things and barking dogs get her attention, but she doesn't respond to them and moves on quickly. She's active and likes to play, but also enjoys a good rest at my feet. (Or on the couch in my lap after the kids go to bed.)

She's friendly with all dogs and cats, new and familiar (per her foster parents) but she seems a little anxious around new people. She has a low, muffled bark (almost like a cough) that seems to be nervous/anxious/fearful/uncertain, but will go up to them for a love. She's a little jumpy and after a while my kids can overwhelm her. They are learning their manners too, but the excitement of their first dog is great. And they are loud, which Kylie doesn't seem to care for. I cannot blame her, I feel the same way! :) But I wouldn't say she is an overly fearful or anxious dog at all, and it is nothing that time and training will not address. Kylie learning to cope with the loudness and activity and hugs, and my children learning to keep their voices down and respect Kylie's boundaries.

I could not be happier with Kylie. She is sweet, attentive and easy-going. She doesn't try to bolt out the door (though they are latched up high just in case) and she comes when I call her. She's respectful of our boundaries (no jumping on the counters, furniture, table) but seems to have quickly settled into her new home.

I'm looking forward to learning more about some of the agility work, and am going to be doing clicker training and other types of positive reinforcement with Kylie. She also has responded well to me projecting an "in charge" kind of energy (I've always been an energy-aware person). But I'm going to need some help and advice on clicker training and leash work. I'm also interested in tugging games - she has a weird pulling "technique" that looks like she's almost heaving! :huh?:

I'm also interested in raw feeding for Kylie as well as our cat Lucas. We knew we wanted her to be on the best quality natural/organic food, but upon asking about brands, lots of pit owners (from a forum on a non-dog board) said "RAW!" It makes sense to me, and I'm hoping to get her on raw after a while. Right now I'm transitioning her from the food that she was on to a great quality kibble. She's already getting raw treats (venison and beef) that I set aside while cooking our own meals. I just felt like we would be most successful with raw if we took it slowly. :)

With a dog who looks pit-ish, we want to be extra good parents and for Kylie to be a role model. I'm not putting any extra responsibility on her, but I am putting some on us. :)

Well, that's a little bit (who am I kidding, a lot!) about Kylie, the newest member of our family. Thanks for reading!

carrie

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Re: Welcome Home Kylie (several pics!)

Postby KsMomma » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Oops - meant to add:

For a size reference with Kylie, in one picture is my daughter, who is a short, tiny 27 pounder at 3 1/2 years old.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Welcome Carrie! What a wonderful intro!

Vivid
Newborn Bully

Postby Vivid » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:36 pm

I LOOOOOVE black and black/white dogs and Kylie ( such a cute name) is no exception. She's pretty and looks to be in good shape since i can only see her ribs in one pic ( she might have been inhaling), her spine isn't visible and she seems to have some muscles.

You guys did an pretty neat job on the signs. You are doing an awesome job with Kylie. Keep up the good work.

oh yeah... Congrats!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:03 am

Awesome intro! Welcome to the board! I would agree that Kylie looks to be in great shape! I would be careful, as this breed WILL pack on and carry weight. Best to keep her lean, better for her! Thanks so much for rescueing!

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:45 am

I have a feeling you'll fit in here.

:modwelcomeonly1:

Return to “Introductions”