Hello all

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Hello all

Postby murphy2010 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Can you post photos of your dogs? We love photos.

How did you acquire your dogs? Did you have any other dogs before owning pits? Do you guys have any kids? Is there any BSL in your area? How long have you had your dogs? Do you plan to breed them?

:welcome:

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Sorry, BSL is short for Breed Specific Legislation. It's when there are laws in a given area banning or prohibiting ownership of a given breed. I was asking about the breeding of your dogs mainly because this forum is largely rescue-oriented, and a lot of folks on here have a pretty firm stance against backyard breeding because it contributes to overpopulation and can result in dogs with unstable temperaments.

Are both of your dogs the same age?

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Hey there Dwayne. Welcome to the forum :)

You have owned some crazy mixes! I don't think I could handle an akita x pit bull mix..yikes!
More power to you, man.

Yeah, you're probably going to get all the questions Murphy is asking ya' when a regulator comes through so you may as well answer them now.

And yes, we love pictures ;)

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:26 pm

The APBT breed standard is actually much closer to 40-50 lbs., so the dogs in your area sound about normal-sized. Larger dogs have come to be known as American Bullies, and they're largely a product of backyard breeding gone awry. My girl, Sasha, I suspect is purebred and large for the breed at about 68 lbs., but I think that Murphy is likely an APBT x American Bulldog cross, if not a regular American Bully. He's pushing 80 lbs.!

Personally, I would urge you not to breed your female unless she and the stud have been evaluated for temperament, health, etc. as backyard breeding contributes hugely to overpopulation and reinforces the negative stereotypes linked to the breed.

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Why would you want to breed a bitch who is dog aggressive?

Here are a few threads on backyard breeding and temperament that you may find helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=567
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2782

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:29 pm

I'd say get her fixed and enjoy her as your pet and companion. You don't want to be breeding a dog with aggressive traits, etc. because it results in such unstable dogs.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Welcome.

There is nothing wrong with dog aggression.

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Dwayne wrote:Thank you for the suggested readings. I read them and I agree with allot of what was said in the comparison between a back yard breeder and a responsible breeder. However they are a few hurdles that I would not be able to jump. The Barbados Kennel Club does not accept pitbulls as an established breed, so u can't get papers for a pitbull. It is not Barbadian culture to have dogs live inside the house. My dogs live in my back yard in two separate houses. I am beginning to feel however that this is not the forum for me I love dogs, and I treat my dogs well, I read allot on dogs and I agree that mixing dogs can yield dangerous results especially in the wrong hands, however the inverse is true as well, take for example the bullmastiff who's origins stem from bulldog and mastiff the English people prefer a 50/50 split the Americans preferred a 60/40 split. Also the various types of bulldogs all lovely and achieved through cross breeding. Who holds the monopoly on deciding what a dog should look like?

I understand that; I realize that not all countries are recognizing APBT's as a breed just yet. I also understand that some people have outside dogs; there's nothing wrong with that! Lots of people on this forum have outdoor dogs, I don't think you'll find anyone on here judging you for that (as long as they're fed/watered and get plenty of love). We don't want you to feel like this forum isn't welcoming. This forum is set up to be a source of education and community for breed enthusiasts, you and your dogs will fit in just fine! :thumbsup:

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Dwayne wrote:Also in your suggested readings, it was said dog aggressiveness is a trait that can't be removed, they were made to fight however it can be controlled. If so why should I have my dog fixed?

I generally recommend that people have their dogs fixed due to the overpopulation issues; it doesn't have anything to do with dog aggression. My girl, Sasha, is dog aggressive as well, and we work to control it every day. In the US (at least in my area), it's a fairly standard belief that getting your animals fixed is part of being a responsible pet owner.

murphy2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby murphy2010 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:19 pm

They're gorgeous! :inlove:

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:53 pm

:modwelcomeonly1:

Return to “Introductions”