Meet Blondie...our first pit

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
MomofSasha
Newborn Bully

Meet Blondie...our first pit

Postby MomofSasha » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 am

Hi everyone,
I am posting here to get advice from experienced pit bull owners who have had more then one and several years working with these dogs. I am a fairly experienced dog owner. I have had dogs all my life and managed a pet sitting company for many years. I understand the concept of being the leader of my pack, being the alpha, and of the importance of excersize and obedience.

We currently have a jack russel/fox terrier and border/shepherd mixes. This past Sunday a friend from church was desperate to find a home for two of her pit bull puppies...who were a result of her two pits mating. The puppies are 11 weeks old. We went and looked...of course they are adoreable. Mom and dad were on site. Bulky dogs with friendly attitudes...of course we are people and not dogs. To make a long story short...we kind of wanted another dog...so we ended up adopting Blondie.

The JRT is the alpha dog (next to me) and they are playing well with Blondie. There has been some growing and lunging over bones which in the past we could leave out for the border mix as he's only a year and a half. So...makes sense that the rules are changing now. But that brought on a whole different set of thoughts. Starting researching....(yes I know this has been totally backwards) and now I'm concerned about future dog aggression. It seems in my research that it all depends on the individual dog. I myself know several pits that live fine with other dogs and cats. Then there is the pit that is fine until one day something sets them off and instinct sets in. This dog is totally submissive to the other dogs. She's not mouthy or a major biter/chewer. But...this is for now. Do I need to worry about her changing as she matures? Please...anyone with experience please give me some feedback. We are totally in love with this dog and want her to get along with our other dogs for life. However...we want her to have the right home too. If she's going to turn on our other dogs well....the pain would be a lot worse later.

Thanks so much!!! Image

jamielvsaustin

Re: Meet Blondie...our first pit

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:49 am

Hi and :welcome:
She is indeed very cute!
Momofblondie wrote: Do I need to worry about her changing as she matures?

I don't know that I'd use the word "worry" but it is something you need to educate and prepare yourself for. If your dog is going to be DA (dog aggressive, or AA-animal aggressive) then she is going to be that. Nothing will change her. Some things are influenced by environment and some by genetics, from what I understand this is 90% genetics. So in the mean time lay a good foundation of trust for her and rules. Be consistent and fair. Make sure she has total confidence in you. And if she does infact have DA then it'll be easier to manage. And there are ways to manage it.

I think if you stick around here while she grows up, address issues as soon as they come up and read as much as you can you'll do well with her. Thank you for being responsible enough to do your research.

chako
Bully Ambassador

Postby chako » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:28 am

If both dogs are spayed/neutered and your new addition is growing up with your JRT, odds are they will be fine together. I've had lots of multi Pit Bull households. BUT you should always use common sense. Feed them separate, give them treats/toys separately, and make sure that you do not leave them alone together unsupservised -- this is good advice for any multi dog household regardless of breed.

And the Pit Bull is likely not going to be any more dog aggressive at maturity than say another terrier breed, like, Oh, JRT :)

MomofSasha
Newborn Bully

Postby MomofSasha » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:09 pm

chako wrote:And the Pit Bull is likely not going to be any more dog aggressive at maturity than say another terrier breed, like, Oh, JRT :)

That's true our JRT can be a turd...but only with strangers. She's fine with our pack here at home...even the cats. I don't allow any chasing or stares.

But really...do I need to seperate the pit bull from the other two when we are gone. We have a huge run...15 feet wide by 50 feet long. I would hate to split it up....especially since that means one would have more shelter and shade then the other. Not to mention they can't play together...but if that play might turn to aggression we'd be in trouble. Just talking out loud here. Right now the puppy is small/young enough that they are ok together. At what point should we seperate them or would it be reasonalbe to try keeping them together and monitor closely for any signs of aggression?

Any thoughts...GREATLY appreciated!

MomofSasha
Newborn Bully

Postby MomofSasha » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:13 pm

p.s. What are your thoughs on pit bull play with other dogs? Sometimes the dogs get so into their play...could this be dangerous having a pit or...does it again...depend on the dog? Should I allow it or ????

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:08 am

Hi Momofblondie,

The answers to your questions are complex, and not easily treated here in the Introductions forum. I suggest you read through the posts in the Training and Behavior forum. You will find that opinions vary; and we can't predict (certainly not over the Internet) how your pup is going to be at maturity. If you have access to the parents, then observing them in a variety of situations (safety first -- take reasonable precautions) may give you some clues.

In my opinion, even if your pup is genetically predisposed to aggression towards dogs, good early socialization cannot hurt, and probably can help at least somewhat. It makes sense to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.

As for separating them when you're not there... It's your decision; but after reading various stories of woe, my practice is to keep all dogs separated when we're not home, regardless of breed. Some of them can be together if we're home but asleep; and probably nothing bad would happen if they were together when we left the house. But it's a risk I'm not willing to take. Our dogs are in the house when we leave -- one in the bedroom, another in the kitchen, another in the office, one loose in the living room and one crated in the living room. So we don't have to worry about them dividing the yard unevenly.

Have a look at this link by BADRAP -- it explains the dog tolerance levels nicely:
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/dogdog.html

Best of luck to you! And welcome to PBF.

:modwelcomeonly2:

Return to “Introductions”