new here

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
MikeInTacoma

Re: new here

Postby MikeInTacoma » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:36 am

Hi jsn5236, welcome to PBF. I hope you stick around -- collectively, the folks here have centuries worth of experience. And of course, lots of free advice. Some of it is priceless, and some of it is worth even less that what it costs.

Could we get a little more introduction about you? Then we can give you posting access in the main forums. Here's the example introduction -- viewtopic.php?f=17&t=64327
Generally, we're looking for an idea about your prior background with dogs, what attracts you to this breed, your plans / goals as a dog owner, your approximate geographic location, and any hobbies / activities you like to do, or whatever thing you're itching to share with us but we didn't know you well enough to ask about it. :thumbsup:

As to your rant -- we feel your pain. Of course, given the media coverage of these dogs, the biased public perception is quite understandable; but it's still baseless prejudice, and it still hurts.

As for safety -- in general, most of us here advocate never leaving a small child alone with any dog, regardless of breed. Of course, you know your dog best. My only wish is that you seriously become a student of Canine body language (there are books, DVDs, even free videos on YouTube etc.) so that, if your dog ever starts to feel differently, you'll have plenty of warning. I know you think it'll never happen to your dog; and you're probably right, the vast majority of Pit Bulls never have any problem living in the alien Human world. But sometimes an undiagnosed medical problem, or some kind of experience you didn't happen to witness, can cause things to change. One of things that enrages me most is the families who say "he was always fine with the kids, then one day he just snapped." It's almost never a case of suddenly snapping; it's almost always the case that there were plenty of warning signs that the owners simply didn't notice. And why would they, if they didn't go out of their way to learn about it? Humans are primates, and our body language is significantly different from Canine in many ways. (The Training and Behavior Forum -- viewforum.php?f=6 -- is where you can start your studies.)

Anyway... Welcome to PBF :peace:

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi welcome :) kids and dogs are a great combination and it sounds like your dog is really tolerant
I have 3 kids and always owned dogs. Just to be safe I supervised kids and pups when together and never allowed roughhousing like riding on or tailpulling or messing with ears. At some point the dog may try to correct the child and also when friends come over 3 or 4 kids might be overwhelming. We love pics on this forum :) kathy

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mcrae101
Adolescent Bully

Postby mcrae101 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:41 pm

I too have a pit and a young son. And I have also had to deal with people questioning my choice in dog breed. But all you can do in order to get them to stop is to ensure that your dog is the best behaved, the most loving, and the cutest (which isnt hard, pits are by far) dog in the neighborhood.

Return to “Introductions”