Insurance

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
dturnerdean
Newborn Bully

Insurance

Postby dturnerdean » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 pm

I hope I am welcome here. I do not own a pit bull I am owned by 4 mini schnauzers. But I find myself with a unique opportunity.
A bit of history first. My second schnauzer came to us totally conflicted. He knew no doggy language, he did not know how to learn and he found, before coming to us, that a growl or snarl will make all things bad go away. He growls and or snarls at us 10 times a day not counting the number of times he does the same to his sibling schnauzers. I know why keep him? That is a long story and not important we just did. However, I believe he was sent to me so that I would become fascinated with dog behavior. I have attended many classes on dog behavior, read countless books, Jazz had his own Doggy Shrink and he was in a University study regarding low but normal thyroid and the effect on behavior.
I also began researching the subject to write a paper for the Society of Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriters, (CPCU) considered by most to be the premier professional designation in my industry. I also have a Bachelors Degree in Risk Management and Insurance. My point was that it isn’t the breed it is the underwriting that isn’t working. The companies are simply asking the wrong questions the first one of course is always what is the breed of your dog. You DO NOT need to explain to me that pit bulls are sweet baby dolls that would never hurt a fly much less bite a person or other animal. I do a presentation locally called “All Dogs are Animals that can Bite”. To this day I have never given that speech without someone coming up afterwards telling me that Fluffy, Butch or Baby would never bite. I think all owners are just a little bit of denial
However, through a series of events I have not one insurance company but 2 that are very interested in having me develop a policy to provide coverage for the liability of dog bites. This will not be a homeowners policy but a standalone policy.
The reason I have joined your forum is to learn more about the breed , I know they are good dogs, but what questions should I ask to separate the responsible owners from the ones who are not. I have about 20 questions already. For example what titles does your dog have? How is he/she contained by fence or tied to a tree.

I have started the underwriting questions, have a rating matrix in mind, I need to begin to write the policy. Additional information I would be interested in would be the limits. What you as Pit Bull owners would want the limits to be $100,000, $300,000 or maybe even $500,000. The average dog bite costs an insurance company $25000. Would you buy such a policy if it were available? If so what premium would you think is fair? Yes I know $1.98 sounds great but that isn’t reasonable. Would you want coverage for injuries to other animals as well as people?
I want you to know that my interest in this is in providing a fairly underwritten, fairly priced product to protect the victims of a bite inflicted by any breed of dog. Yes I will make income from this but then who among you has the insurance experience, interest, knowledge in behavior or insurance companies who are interested and trust you to do this? I can’t wait to hear from you.

iluvk9
Newborn Bully

Re: Insurance

Postby iluvk9 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your quest for information.

dturnerdean
Newborn Bully

Postby dturnerdean » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks the more I know the better. I have little exposure to the breed which is why I came here.

chako
Bully Ambassador

Postby chako » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Welcome. I would not buy such a policy because my present HO insurance company covers dog bites. But if I was putting a limit and a premium on a standalone policy, I'd say a $300,000 limit and anywhere from $200-$400/year (with the amount determined by size of dog and discounts for obedience training, CGC certification, etc.)

spammie

Postby spammie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:58 am

:modwelcomeonly1:

Return to “Introductions”