Finally decided to activate my account

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
MetaMuffin
Newborn Bully

Finally decided to activate my account

Postby MetaMuffin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:45 am

As you can probably see, I've been lurking her for a while; I feel like I already know all of you!

My name is Ashley, I'm relatively new to pit bulls. I adopted my dog, Humphrey, from our local Humane Society in August of 08. He's definitely a "project dog." I didn't know anything about training dogs when I got him and used very harsh, very old-school methods on him for our first year together, which made his reactivity worse and really hurt our relationship. Now, after loads of education and reading (dog books are starting to dominate my bookshelf space), I use positive reinforcement, with the occasional P-. We still have a long way to go, and I still slip up from time to time when I become frustrated, but I believe we're making progress.

Unlike many of you, I don't believe pit bulls are my "heart breed." I love every one I meet and I will fight as hard as I can to prevent BSL in every community, but I'm not sure I will be getting another one after Humphrey, at least not for a long time. Politics, both outside and (mainly) inside the breed community, as well as the abundance of health and temperament problems due to over-breeding, has really taken its toll on me. I am not a particularly thick-skinned individual; and I know you need to be when you own this breed. But, with that said, I really enjoy pit bull people. They are passionate and opinionated... and always entertaining.

Anyway, this seems like a pretty solid community, full of intelligent people with common sense. Frankly, it's the only one I've found where there isn't a crowd of people demanding you "cull your manbiter" if your dog shows aggressive behavior to a human. That's worth staying for 8)

Before I forget, here is a picture of my dog.

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Finally decided to activate my account

Postby April » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 am

Welcome, hope the training goes well patience is key. :)

spammie

Re: Finally decided to activate my account

Postby spammie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:02 am

:modwelcomeonly1:

Return to “Introductions”