Need some emergency advice.

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Need some emergency advice.

Postby starrlamia » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:20 pm

how much exercise are they getting?
i would seperate the 2 dogs whenever the baby is around, management is key.
If you post a proper intro you will be able to post on the training forum.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Are the males fixed? He may be defending the baby as his territory.

I agree with managing them. Its a round the clock process with us. 4 dogs and a prego stray that showed up today... I cant turn her away, she is hungry and pregnant, and flea/tick infested.

We have to keep our min pin separated from the bostons when we arent home... Actually we keep them ALL separated when we arent home, to avoid problems. But my male has an issue with our new pup, we are working on their relationship but we do keep them separate unless we are working with them together.

Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Postby Poohs Dad » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:05 am

There's a few things to consider here. One is at 18 months Boo is reaching maturity, he will be forming adult attitudes towards other dogs. He may turn out to be dog aggressive or not no matter what you do. That being said, a Pit/beagle mix is going to need ALOT of exercise. They are both high energy dogs. The more exercise the calmer the mind (however nothing is going to calm a truly aggressive nature). Also...and this is important. If a fight breaks out you MUST separate the combatants from each other for several hours after! They get all amped up in a fight and will not calm down immediatly. Many times if they are not separated, when you think a new fight has erupted, it's actually the continuation of the previous encounter. There are many more much more qualified people on here that will give you more specific advice. But you must post a "proper" ;) introduction. Boo may accept the Great Dane just because of the size difference right now, but his attitude may change about that also later on. The key to giving them the best chance to live together is proper socialization as Boo matures, But with all that he may still be dog aggressive as he gets older. IMHO

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:02 pm

There's a sample intro sticky in this forum, to help you out. In the meantime, contain your dogs, and keep them seperate.

Return to “Introductions”