Hello all.

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello all.

Postby Curious Pit » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:04 pm

Hey everybody, I've been lurking on this board for a few months now and think I'm ready to start asking more questions about the breed. Being a recent college graduate I'm starting to strike off on my own and one of the things I've wanted was a dog. Although I've wanted one for quite some time I haven't done serious research up until about a year ago where I really began hitting the books, researching breeds, training, nutrition, and honestly trying to find out what is the best breed for me. As well as looking into dogs for apartments - a really uphill battle to fight considering every apartment I've seen seems to have breed restrictions here in Maryland but I won't stop looking yet!

Now I am not sure that the APBT is that breed, but I must admit that it is a breed that's really captivated me. In part it is the breed's plight, how it is so heavily maligned in the media and by the unknowing public and yet there are so many pockets of devoted fanciers that say so many good things about the breed. In learning about dogs in general I've learned about hte APBT, the responsibility it demands and the fine line each owner must walk between being a breed ambassador and helping the breed's image or slipping up and simply adding more fuel to fire that's gone almost out of control.

In essence I guess I want to help the breed that seems to have such a raw and boudnless love for its people and I can't think of many other dogs I'd want to own - and be able to save one of these dogs as well (yes, I am 100% planning on going to rescue as opposed to a breeder).

I really want to become a responsible owner, of whatever dog I choose, and by joining this board and asking questions - and reading a whole lot more - I want to decide whether the ABPT is the breed for me.

Thanks for reading this, I'm sure I'll be voicing many questions to the resident owners here really soon.
Curious Pit
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBullPride » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:10 pm

Welcome to PBF!
PitBullPride

Postby litlsassy20 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:14 pm

Welcome from a fello newby here.
And thank you for your research and understanding of the misjudgement of the breed! We need MANY more folks out there like you-you know, those who think for themselves and do the research instead of relying solely on what the media hype directs them to believe.
And another thank you for turning to RESCUE to adopt, there are SOOO many in rescue that NEED homes desparately.
Good for you!
litlsassy20

Postby Boo439 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:10 pm

Welcome to the board!!! I am glad you are open to owning a pit bull and you haven't let the media give you a false impression of the breed. :thumbsup:
Boo439

Postby JustALovePuppy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:17 pm

WELCOME, FELLOW ADDICTED TO PITBULL FORUM.!!!!!!!!
JustALovePuppy

Postby Noriko525 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:06 pm

:welcome:

If only more people would take the time to do things the way you are! There is a ton of info and many knowledgable people always willing to offer their advice on this forum! Careful though, it can be addicting lol
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby pocketpit » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:26 am

:)) Welcome :))
pocketpit

Re: Hello all.

Postby matt » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:06 am

Curious Pit wrote:In essence I guess I want to help the breed that seems to have such a raw and boudnless love for its people and I can't think of many other dogs I'd want to own - and be able to save one of these dogs as well (yes, I am 100% planning on going to rescue as opposed to a breeder).

I really want to become a responsible owner, of whatever dog I choose, and by joining this board and asking questions - and reading a whole lot more - I want to decide whether the ABPT is the breed for me.

hi!

great first post, i like you already ;)

have you had any dogs in the family yet? dogs are a lot of work, they demand a great deal of your attention, time, energy, and money. APBT can demand even more than the average pooch. but boy are the worth it.

are you ready for snoring, farting, chewing, and being dragged around by a leash?

glad to read that it sounds like you arent rushing into anything, thats good news. keep reading and asking questions. good luck with whatever type of dog you decide on. you made a great decision on saving a life. welcome to the board.
matt

Postby tjbsandy » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:16 am

Welcome to the board!
tjbsandy

Thank you all

Postby Curious Pit » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:19 am

Thank you all for the warm welcome. You can tell this is a great community with the friendliness of the people here - makes it a very comfortable environment to ask questions.

For Matt:

Yes, this will be 'my' first dog though I have had experience raising a Shetland Sheepdog with my cousins as we only live 5 minutes away I practically 'lived' at their house until that dog met an unfortunate end. But the two breeds couldn't be more different, so as for having experience with a dog the likes of the APBT I have none. Which is why I am trying to learn all that I can in order to be prepared and, if I honestly feel that I can't manage the control a Pit Bull owner must have over their dog and monitoring the dog within any given environment - and all the variables that can pop up in between - then I'm willing to tuck my tail between my legs and find a more docile breed. I do think I'm up to the challenge. Time will tell if I'm right. :)

I will be moving in with my girlfriend this year or early next so I still have plenty of time to really make this decision. Managing a multi-dog household will be first on my list of research as she does have a miniature dachshund (female) that I would not ask her to give up for my own dog choice. I've done some reading to know that if I do get an APBT it will be a male, I'll have to manage feeding time to keep them seperate, be careful about handing out treats and probably train the dogs seperately so there's no competition over these rewards (I still need to learn more in this regard), also have to be careful about leaving toys out for them to compete over, always supervise their play and crate them or seperate them whenever I can't physically be there, etc...

But there's still so much I need to learn to iron out the details or even if such a lifestyle is feasible.

Anyway, again, thanks to everyone here for the welcome. I'm sure if all Pit Bull detractors could read these boards and see the good ABPT owners as opposed to the irresponsible owners out there we'd be on the path to improving the image of this dog abroad.

One day at a time I guess, thanks for having me. :)
Curious Pit
Newborn Bully

from another newbie

Postby gone2dtheogs » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:27 pm

I think :thumbsup: you sound like you've done a bit of research already! Thank you for considering a rescue, there are so many. I, too hope to get a bully in the future, a rescue definitely.
gone2dtheogs

Postby Timmay » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:55 am

howdy
Timmay

Postby Pitt-terra » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:25 pm

:welcome: PBF is the place to be to learn about the breed, I have learned a ton in my short time here.
Pitt-terra

Return to Introductions