New Member from SC

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
irkenequine
Newborn Bully

New Member from SC

Postby irkenequine » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Hello; my name is Hannah and I'm a proud (not obsessed, NOT obsessed...) dog owner in SC. Animal welfare is my greatest passion and I am a huge shelter advocate. I have worked previously in vet clinics and spent many a stressful year working in the shelter world (from euth to adoption counselor to medical and s/n) but now work in the opposite end of the spectrum as an ICU nurse at a veterinary specialty clinic. I love my job and the ability to bring my animals along with me :)

Between my roommate and I we live in a house with 6 (yep...) dogs, (and no crates!) and 3 cats. It is a full time job for us keeping them tired and stimulated but I think we manage it very well. I am a huge advocate of leash walking and try to get mine out of the house on the leash for a long stroll at least 2x a day. I am a member of the local dog park but due to my dog's unusual needs I tend not to go when others are around...not worth the stress or the risk.

I have always fostered and have had roughly 20 dogs cycle through my home in the past year but as I am now 'failing' the foster test I believe I have my last one.

My current dogs (since thats what this is about after all)

Left to right:

Catfish is a 3 year old Bull Terrier I found roughly 2 months ago in the drop box at the kill shelter. He had been caught up in a nasty dog fight and required some patching...we assumed the worst for him and anticipated he would be dog aggressive due to the nature of his injuries...but that couldn't be farther from his nature. He's loving and sweet and VERY caring with my two other dogs. He is terribly michevious and typical Bull Terrier...into everything, destroys everything, always busy :) But he keeps me on my toes. He's currently a foster but I plan on adopting him and pursuing his CGC, as he's incredibly gentle and patient with strangers.

Tovin is a 1 year old cattle dog/aussie shepherd mix and is profoundly deaf and blind in one eye. He was left on the doorstep of a shelter I was working at previously and I foster failed him :) He is a homozygous merle and is all Cattle Dog...ball obsessive and busy. But he's a sweet, tenderhearted little guy who Scout has done a beautiful job of raising. He is working his way through the obedience levels and I hope to do scent work with him one day.

Out or Scout (she goes by either) is my 7 year old Pitt mix and my first introduction to the bully breed. I adopted her as a graduation present to myself and she has been a joy and a pleasure. She is my loyal, respectful, quiet, silly, kind heart dog who has never put a teensy toe out of line. I adopted her as a HW positive resident from a no-kill shelter. She is BALD and always has been from hormonal alopecia-- the vet suspects she was overbred and it destroyed her hair follicles. (No, its not food allergies, no its not demodex....we hear it every day :) )

irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Re: New Member from SC

Postby irkenequine » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:53 pm

And of course I accidentally toss an extra T onto "Pit mix." Nice way to introduce myself to a Pit Bull forum of course :P

Muttkip
Matured Bully

Postby Muttkip » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Welcome to PBF, but I gotta ask why the no crates?

patty

Postby patty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:15 pm

What a cute group! Welcome to PBF. I look forward to many stories and pictures of your crew.

Thank you for your shelter and rescue work!

irkenequine
Newborn Bully

Postby irkenequine » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:16 am

Thanks patty! Love the big cutie in your avatar.

@Muttkip--I know its a touchy subject I didn't mean to set myself in one corner...I just meant 6 big dogs in a house with no one in crates makes for a busy house XD We do keep them separated across the house 2 in one section, 2 in the kitchen/dining room and 2 in another section, so at least not all 6 meet you at the door. I personally haven't ever had a need to have them. It is lucky that my dogs can come to work with me so they don't HAVE to be alone for 14 hours at a time (what my shift length is) but if its a way to keep dogs safe, its ok with me. I think people are a little over-exuberant in their use of them these days but I'm not going to flame someone for using one. Whatever keeps your pups safe and happy works for me! I'm excited to get posting, in browsing the boards there are TONS of highly educated and active dog owners and advocates here :)

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:06 am

:modwelcomeonly2:

Return to “Introductions”