Meet My Beautiful Sidekick, Roxy :)

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Foxy Roxy
Newborn Bully

Meet My Beautiful Sidekick, Roxy :)

Postby Foxy Roxy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:59 pm

Say hello to my almost 2 year old Roxy! Her papers say Boxer-Lab, but me thinks otherwise. Don't y'all?

Roxy was rescued from the doorstep of a veterinary clinic in Killeen, TX. Someone left her there early in the morning completely emaciated with a note saying "My name is Roxy, please find me a good home." My sister took her in because she was looking for another dog, and she looked like a small dog in the photo (she was just a few months old). I had fallen in love with her the second I met her as a puppy, the most sweet, loving, gentle animal I'd ever met. The only thing she wanted from people was love, and I gave her plenty of it. As soon as her health returned, so did her energy. Puppy mode - ENGAGED! My sister fell pregnant soon after taking the dog in, and she had Roxy up until my nephew was about a year old. Never a nip, never a grumble, never any problem. Eventually I began to notice the dogs behavior change with me since nobody had taken the time to bond with her in the house. When I came to visit I was the only thing she cared about (which was often). Then one day after a tinkle on the carpet my sister told me to take her! :D :inlove: She came home with me that day and we've been inseparable ever since.

I have to say, I never thought I'd ever be saying this about any dog let alone a Pitt. My dad never wanted house pets, so I never learned so properly socialize myself with animals. I had friends with dogs, cats, etc, but even though they were fun to play with I never understood the man-beast relationship. I can recall saying that the only way I'd own a dog is if it was an outside dog. I was a firm believer that animals did not belong in my habitation. Regardless if I liked playing with them.

Foxy Roxy
Newborn Bully

Re: Meet My Beautiful Sidekick, Roxy :)

Postby Foxy Roxy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Go away spammer.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:48 am

Foxy Roxy wrote:Go away spammer.

lol

Welcome :) Roxy is a beauty

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:04 am

Welcome to you and the beautiful and most Foxy Roxy!! :inlove: I bet she never knew the luckiest thing she did was tinkle on the carpet. ;)

Foxy Roxy
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxy Roxy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:26 am

I'm amazed at how easy she is to train, and how receptive she is to my behavior.

I've gotten some negative attention for it, but I see no reason to keep her on a leash. She stays at my 5 or 7 o'clock and only walks ahead to check around corners. She scared the daylights out of one girl when she tore up the stairs like a lunatic. We sometimes make it a game of who can get home quickest, this time she won (I wasn't far behind!). I hear a girl let out a terrified scream and I reach the top to find her huddled in a corner, Roxy 6 feet away sitting head down and nervously flapping her tail. I guess she didn't know what to do? I felt so terrible, I told Roxy to go home, and before I could even utter a word she had opened her door and slammed it shut. Poor girl. Roxy was scared and confused that she'd done something.

Another time I was having a terrible day and was yelling at someone on the phone. I've got a very loud deep voice, so I'm sure I shook the daylights out of her. I wasn't even paying attention to Roxy, and she let me know she needed to go out. I open the door, and she darts out as normal. Since we live on the third floor I got lazy about taking her out, and let her just go and come back. :oops: I know, crappy ownership 101. This time she didn't. I found her like 3 hours later, on the other side of my apartment complex. BAD GIRL! Since then I've been very careful about how I act around her. What a sensitive girl.

I found myself questioning whether it not she had any fight in her at all. If she did, she certainly never showed it to me or anyone I know. All that changed when I met a friend of mine outside my door before he got there. He just happens to be the only black friend I've introduced her to. He's been over many times. I let him in first as I was still on the phone, and Roxy was not pleased. She stood in the hallway in her pounce stance, and let out a bark I've never heard before. He jumped out of the path of the door to reveal me behind him, and everything was just fine. I let her know that I was very pleased with her lol

I really couldn't ask for a better dog.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:51 am

Imagine this: your girl walks ahead of you to take a corner (or let out by herself from a 3rd floor apartment? Are you kidding me?!) and there is me, walking my Violet, on leash. Guess what? Dog fight. Your dog just came around unleashed around a corner and approached a very dog reactive dog. Not only would you be paying for your vet bills AND my own, you'd have to answer legally for your irresponsibility because I sure as hell wouldn't let it end there.

I work very very hard on my dogs reactivity. Every time she goes over threshold is several steps backwards in all that hard work we have done. Her tolerance goes down several notches and we have to go back and rework her issues and rebuild the damage done by your dog, off leash, who knowingly or not, came around a corner and bumped into my dog.

I'd be pissed at you. Not your dog. You. All that hard work down the drain and two dogs in the vets getting stitches and god knows what else.

Oh and then the news station gets ahold of the story and flashes "Breaking news! Unleashed PIT BULL mauls dog!" and then we all have to deal with the backlash from that story adding to the negative stigma against the breed.

If you love your dog you will leash her up. It really isn't that difficult.

Foxy Roxy
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxy Roxy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Nichole wrote:Imagine this: your girl walks ahead of you to take a corner (or let out by herself from a 3rd floor apartment? Are you kidding me?!) and there is me, walking my Violet, on leash. Guess what? Dog fight. Your dog just came around unleashed around a corner and approached a very dog reactive dog. Not only would you be paying for your vet bills AND my own, you'd have to answer legally for your irresponsibility because I sure as hell wouldn't let it end there.

I work very very hard on my dogs reactivity. Every time she goes over threshold is several steps backwards in all that hard work we have done. Her tolerance goes down several notches and we have to go back and rework her issues and rebuild the damage done by your dog, off leash, who knowingly or not, came around a corner and bumped into my dog.

I'd be pissed at you. Not your dog. You. All that hard work down the drain and two dogs in the vets getting stitches and god knows what else.

Oh and then the news station gets ahold of the story and flashes "Breaking news! Unleashed PIT BULL mauls dog!" and then we all have to deal with the backlash from that story adding to the negative stigma against the breed.

If you love your dog you will leash her up. It really isn't that difficult.

She has no interest in other dogs, unless they approach her to play. We've practiced 'ignore' plenty of times. Any dog that gets aggressive with her she ignores them immediately. This is also an apartment complex, where no aggressive dogs reside. The breed restrictions in Texas are intense also, so an aggressive dog is not a concern.

I should have followed it up by saying I watched her from the balcony the first few times. After that I saw no harm in it. Doesn't change the fact that I used to do it all the time though.

I love her, but slapping on your cloths at 2am walking down all those stairs for 2 minutes of potty time... that gets really old.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Foxy Roxy wrote:The breed restrictions in Texas are intense also, so an aggressive dog is not a concern.

You do realize aggression and reactivity are not breed traits, right?

I love her, but slapping on your cloths at 2am walking down all those stairs for 2 minutes of potty time... that gets really old.

It sure does. But, as a responsible owner, it's part of your job.

ames
Newborn Bully

Postby ames » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:58 pm

You have a cute pup there. I hope that you don't get charged one day by an off leash dog starting trouble because you may lose her. Your dog would be the one blamed when she was just defending herself, or you if she thought you were in danger. Do yourself and the breed a favor and always walk with your dog leashed. Its a part of being responsible with the breed you own. Too many stories about people who have NEVER had a dog aggressive dog get into a fight because they "have never cared about other dogs before" Everyone has a bad day sometime, why set you dog up to fail? she is looking to you to be a great owner who looks after her, not one who thinks she can control what she was bred to do.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:25 am

she's pretty, reminds me of my grendel.

Please dont let your dog offleash, not only is it dangerous for your dog and illegal in most places, it is also extremely disrespectful to anyone else around you. Dogs do a lot of funny things when you cannot directly supervise them and even a well behaved dog can get distracted by an unusually scrumptious squirrel or extremely nice looking old lady. Esp. since she is reaching maturity, her tolerance of dogs and other animals could change, if a dog fight does happen (even if she doesnt start it) you and her will be held responsible because of her breed. Irresponsability while owning a pit bull or other bully breed is not an option, that laziness and disregard for others is the reason the breed is in a huge mess as it is. Please help us improve the image of the breed.

Foxy Roxy
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxy Roxy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:46 pm

You're all right. Leash from now on.

Foxy Roxy
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxy Roxy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:06 am

Stormi wrote:
Foxy Roxy wrote:The breed restrictions in Texas are intense also, so an aggressive dog is not a concern.

You do realize aggression and reactivity are not breed traits, right?

It sure does. But, as a responsible owner, it's part of your job.

I can't argue with that. I neglected to think about the possible danger she could unleash upon herself. Her nature is a very loving soft hearted one, but that doesn't change her ability to decimate most other opponents, or possibly pick a stupid fight.

Back when she used to live with my sister, she got into a fight with another dog that came to an abrupt end. My sister had taken in a German Shepherd that appeared to be very sweet and very well trained. Only problem was, this animal didn't like other dogs. She tolerated Roxy initially, and Roxy being the playful type wanted to do just that. The playing turned to more or less fighting, and before anyone could react Roxy had the dog pinned into submission (very proud :D).

Her skill and intelligence stops there. She continued to annoy it, and eventually the Shepherd lashed out and bit her left side. It only left a scratch, but I could tell it hurt her decently. Later the Shep was taken to the vet to make sure everything was A-OK before it was given up for adoption. The vet came back and explained that the dog had obviously been used for fighting. Teeth sharpened, among other things.

That series of events is how I ended up with Roxy. She began urinating in my sisters room, on her bed, and in the doorway. She couldn't take it anymore.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:06 pm

Foxy Roxy wrote:You're all right. Leash from now on.

:yipee: 8)

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:45 pm

hey foxy roxy, you're now welcome to post in the rest of the forum.

:modwelcomeonly2:

Return to “Introductions”