Hi There :)

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Kazzy
Newborn Bully

Hi There :)

Postby Kazzy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:58 am

Hey everyone!

My name is Katie, and I've recently...well, just today, become a Pit Bull Mom. His name is Jax, he's about a year old, neutered, and a beautiful blue boy. I'm completely smitten by him :D

Other than Jax, I also have 3 cats, 20+ geckos (I breed them), 1 axolotl, and 2 Marbled crayfish. Currently Jax isn't allowed around the cats as he attempted to chaise them at first and I'm worried he may unintentionally bite one in his excitement.

Here's a bad cell picture of Jax and my friend, Erek :)

Kazzy
Newborn Bully

Re: Hi There :)

Postby Kazzy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:07 am

Just wanted to share a few more pics of my beautiful boy.

Also, does anyone know of a trainer they'd recommend in the middle Tennessee area? He's got a few problems he needs to work on (namely, politely walking on a leash) plus I would like to get him obedience trained as well as possible. I'm also interesting in weight pulling. Thanks!

ames
Newborn Bully

Postby ames » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:27 am

beautiful boy! You can start getting him used to a harness (you will need to buy another when he is grown so I would look for a used one for now craigslist, etc) don't work him too hard until he is older and you can tie things like a milk jug with some rocks to get him used to dragging something. A lot of people also recommend getting his hips checked out and what not to make sure his body is well designed for pulling.

Leash pulling is hard, there are some leashes and what not that can help correct it, but I found carrying a stick of cheese (my boy isn't really food motivated, cheese is the only thing that works) and help keep him by your side. When he starts to pull give a tiny taste and have him walk by your side with it. That helped when I was teaching my pup to walk nice. I also used a gentle leader. But as he grew and concerns for his dog aggression I didn't feel safe enough with the alone. It basically teaches the pup leading with his nose not his neck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6XMb2XRVVs

Now about cats, you should never leave your pup alone with any animal, ever. Dog Aggression is very common and can come out around 1-3 years, could be younger as well, or older. Its really just something to always be aware of. I had a friend who had a 6 year old pup who lived with his 8 year old cat his whole life. He went to the bathroom one day and came out and had lost his cat. You never know what can happen and it only takes a second. Once he listens and you can control him verbally you can try to introduce so they live in harmony but never when not supervised.

Kazzy
Newborn Bully

Postby Kazzy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:12 am

ames wrote:beautiful boy! You can start getting him used to a harness (you will need to buy another when he is grown so I would look for a used one for now craigslist, etc) don't work him too hard until he is older and you can tie things like a milk jug with some rocks to get him used to dragging something. A lot of people also recommend getting his hips checked out and what not to make sure his body is well designed for pulling.

Leash pulling is hard, there are some leashes and what not that can help correct it, but I found carrying a stick of cheese (my boy isn't really food motivated, cheese is the only thing that works) and help keep him by your side. When he starts to pull give a tiny taste and have him walk by your side with it. That helped when I was teaching my pup to walk nice. I also used a gentle leader. But as he grew and concerns for his dog aggression I didn't feel safe enough with the alone. It basically teaches the pup leading with his nose not his neck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6XMb2XRVVs

Now about cats, you should never leave your pup alone with any animal, ever. Dog Aggression is very common and can come out around 1-3 years, could be younger as well, or older. Its really just something to always be aware of. I had a friend who had a 6 year old pup who lived with his 8 year old cat his whole life. He went to the bathroom one day and came out and had lost his cat. You never know what can happen and it only takes a second. Once he listens and you can control him verbally you can try to introduce so they live in harmony but never when not supervised.

Thanks so much! He's already used to a harness (that's what the previous owners used on him, and it came with him), so got that. I'll start working on the pulling after I get his hips checked just to be sure.

Actually, earlier tonight on his walk, he did REALLY well on the leash. If he pulled I'd stop and correct him with the leash. At first he'd go right back to pulling, then he started to understand that when he walked nicely I didn't stop walking. Next time I have to remember the treats to reward him more than just the vocal praises and pets.

He will never ever ever be left alone with the cats, or any animal. I understand they are prey-driven and anything could set that off, and I just won't risk it. I actually just got into an argument with a friend about how to introduce them. She seems to think she's the all-knowing dog person, yet she suggested that I just let Jax loose with the cats and that everything would be OK. I never once considered doing that, especially knowing their prey-drive. Even just wanting to play, I'm scared he'd accidentally bite and he's pretty big. When he has seen the cats (he's on leash), from what I understand, he's showing 'play' gestures. I can fairly easily distract him though, and that's what I've been doing, and rewarding when he looks at me. It'll take a while, but I'm patient and willing to do what it takes.

That's really awful, what happened to your friend :( That's what scares me the most and I'll never leave him around them unsupervised because of it.

ames
Newborn Bully

Postby ames » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Awesome!! Can't wait to hear how the weight pulling goes. My boy kept wanting to eat the jug so I never really pursued it lol. He loves to fetch and tug so he is good with that. Nice score on the harness! Yeah my friend feels terrible but hopefully his story helps someone. Glad you understand the wonderful breed. Your friend probably believes its all in how you raise them, which is only marginally true with this breed.

Kazzy
Newborn Bully

Postby Kazzy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:14 pm

ames wrote:Awesome!! Can't wait to hear how the weight pulling goes. My boy kept wanting to eat the jug so I never really pursued it lol. He loves to fetch and tug so he is good with that. Nice score on the harness! Yeah my friend feels terrible but hopefully his story helps someone. Glad you understand the wonderful breed. Your friend probably believes its all in how you raise them, which is only marginally true with this breed.

Hehe thanks! Hopefully he won't eat the jugs lol!

The harness, I realized afterword you may have been talking about the actually pulling harnesses? It's just on of the regular ones, not sure of which you meant lol!

Yes, I plan to fully understand the breed. Being a reptile keeper, I see it all to often, people getting an animal without doing the proper research, most times resulting in the detriment to the animal. I research every animal I plan to bring into my home :)

jamielvsaustin

Re: new

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:24 pm

mytyson wrote:well i am new here and just wondered if anyone can help me figure out how to post any questions i have, the only way i am able to do this is because i am replying, so for the person whom this is replied to dont be offended that i am using this avenue to get my question out there. thank you.

Mytyson, if you haven't already, you'll need to create your own introduction thread. There is a sticky in the introduction section that tells you what kind of information they're looking for. Once you do that, a mod usually comes around everyday (or every other day) or so and will either ask for more information or simply give you access. Basically I think the idea is that if you're going to be posting here they want to know a little about you. Plus it helps to prevent those people that only want to advertise, or cause trouble in other ways.

ames
Newborn Bully

Postby ames » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Kazzy wrote:
ames wrote:Awesome!! Can't wait to hear how the weight pulling goes. My boy kept wanting to eat the jug so I never really pursued it lol. He loves to fetch and tug so he is good with that. Nice score on the harness! Yeah my friend feels terrible but hopefully his story helps someone. Glad you understand the wonderful breed. Your friend probably believes its all in how you raise them, which is only marginally true with this breed.

The harness, I realized afterword you may have been talking about the actually pulling harnesses? It's just on of the regular ones, not sure of which you meant lol!

Yes, I plan to fully understand the breed. Being a reptile keeper, I see it all to often, people getting an animal without doing the proper research, most times resulting in the detriment to the animal. I research every animal I plan to bring into my home :)

Yeah you should get a weight pulling harness, ones used for walking do not properly disperse the load. A friend I have met on another forum makes them, really good quality for not that expensive. here is what I am referring to:

http://www.nizmosk9supply.com/#!harness

Kazzy
Newborn Bully

Postby Kazzy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:21 am

ames wrote:
Kazzy wrote:

Yeah you should get a weight pulling harness, ones used for walking do not properly disperse the load. A friend I have met on another forum makes them, really good quality for not that expensive. here is what I am referring to:

http://www.nizmosk9supply.com/#!harness

Thanks! Sadly my phone won't let me view the site you linked, I'll have to check it out when I get home :)

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:53 pm

cute pup! welcome.

:modwelcomeonly2:

Return to “Introductions”