New pit "owner" here!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Heather9603
Newborn Bully

New pit "owner" here!

Postby Heather9603 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:40 pm

Hey there. I wanted to join a pittie forum because in a way I am a new "owner". Not sure if Molly (female, young, white and tan pit) will be ours forever. Someone dumped her shortly after she gave birth to pups (her nips are still huge and her lady parts are still very swollen), and a friend of a friend started sharing her photo on FB. Needless to say, fell in love, I had an open kennel and an open heart, so I said I'd take her. My husband and I have always wanted a pit, but we just never found the right one and ended up leaning towards boxers. But one boxer had severe aggression due to abuse (She was used as one of the bait dogs for a fighting ring 8( ), to where she kept attacking our 5 pound min pin. So after a year of training, behaviorists, and vet checks to make sure she was healthy, she went to a home with no other dogs. Our 2nd boxer I had to send to live with my mom and step dad because I had to move my elderly in laws in with my husband and I, and crazy boxer plus people using walkers was a BAD combo! Meant to get my boxer boy back, but my step dad fell in LOVE with him and my step dad doesn't really like dogs...he got so much attention there, and was so spoiled, and they loved him so much that I got guilt tripped into giving up my boy! lol. But it doesn't bother me too much since I see him all the time :)

Anyway, I just picked up Molly today. She didn't have a name yet, but she has very wide brown eyes and an incredibly sweet disposition, so I decided she needed a sweet name! So Molly it was!

Like I said, we are not really all that sure if we want her to be our forever dog. She is so sweet, and I love her so much already. But I think I need to get myself used to the idea of bringing another big dog around my little min pins. So I really want to get everything sorted out and make sure there are not going to be issues before I let myself get attached. (easier said than done! lol) But in the mean time, I don't mind being foster mommy! I've done it before and I always love that reward of getting a dog ready to go to forever homes!

So far she seems to be house trained. The woman that found her said she only had one accident in two weeks, and it was because she had diarrhea. She's very timid, but very sweet. Not trusting of men, skiddish to strangers. But she actually warmed up to my male neighbor and his pittie rather quickly. His dad is a vet and they work with A LOT of pits because they are big advocates, so I walked her down there to get an age assessment (which is probably about 1-2 years old)

-She doesn't mind me being near her while she is eating. She was okay with me patting her on the back while she ate, and I quietly walked away. Circled back around, repeated, praised her, and kept going. She ate quickly, but she did stop to chew the food.
-She takes treats very gently, and even when she's nervous she will still eat a treat! lol
-She is for sure a chewer. Loves tennis balls and loves the hollow marrow bone.
-I had no intention of introducing her to my min pins yet, but one slipped through the door. Molly did not mind Penny, sniffed her, gave a little tail wag. Later my other two snuck out and even with all 3 going crazy excited for a new friend, she didn't mind.
-She did however run to her kennel and bone, and quickly guard it. But she did not show teeth, just gave a quick little growl. So I went ahead and put the min pins into their kennel and I've been doing a rotation all night. Currently Molly is up and min pins are out, and they are greeting through the kennel.
-She does not seem to bark. Not really complaining about this one! hehe

So far it seems like our only issue would be some resource guarding. I read through the thread and I guess my main question is should I not scold her when she growls? Obviously I don't want it to escalate into snapping, so by allowing her to growl (not snarl, just low grumble growls) and then removing which dog is in her space (if they don't go on their own that is) Is this the correct way to handle this?

Thanks for the help and thanks for reading!

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Re: New pit "owner" here!

Postby Heather9603 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Oh and here are a few pics :)

As we were picking her up. She started to perk up a little and relax around me.

Excuse the random items around her kennel. I didn't realize some of my necklaces had fallen off until after I took the picture lol. Also I know it looks like she's close to the outlet, but its just a bad angel. The kennel is actually about a foot away from the wall.

And here is a good shot of her beautiful mug!

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Welcome, she is very pretty.

I guess I am a little confused why you took her in if you're not sure wether or not you're keeping her? Unless your whole plan is fostering, but I would feel really bad for her to be going home to home.

One thing you have to keep in mind with rehoming boxers, bringing in other dogs, etc not every dog is going to get along obviously. She may be fine with them for a while, but end up not getting along later just like with any other dog you bring into the home. I recommend keeping everyone seperated when no one is around. Some dogs get along great, but it's always a good idea to seperate when no one is there to supervise just in case.

I would really recommend you checking out the two week shutdown thread that is a sticky. She needs time to settle, know she is safe, etc before having other dogs jumping around in her face IMO. It gives her a chance to come out of her shell, show her true personality, and get used to her surroundings.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654

My advice with the resource guarding is to keep all high value items up when all the dogs are together, especially right now. Do not punish her, just do things to avoid that situation from happening again. If you keep those types of items out you're asking for a fight. My American Eskimo is fierce around food, treats, bones, but is fine sharing water. You definately need to make sure you're picking up all that stuff before they spend time together.

Hopefully others will chime in, but once again welcome! -BTW, my name is Heather too! lol
& Happy Holidays

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:37 am

Well it was either I take her, or she go to the shelter. The shelter is no kill, but she's SO timid that its obvious she would not thrive in a shelter at all. And the woman who found her couldn't keep her any longer.

Basically long story short, my sister wanted her and told the woman to cancel her appointment for surrender at the shelter because we'd come pick her up. I agreed to take her back to my house so that my sister could get some things settled because work is crazy for her right now. So we go pick her up, and we are leaving when my sister says "Cute dog, but I don't want her". Mind you at this point Molly is IN my van and we have left the womans house. As a quick back story, my sister is bi-polar so I think she was in one of her manic highs when saying she wanted a dog. But I thought it was a great idea! She lives alone (newly divorced) and Molly would make such great company for a single woman. SO basically we ended up with her by default...little frustrating.

But she has taken a liking to my husband. She hasn't warmed up to any men, not even from where she came from where she was there for two weeks. But she was trying to climb into my husbands lap, talking/begging for attention and grumbling when he stopped petting her. She'll have to learn quick she can't grumble and get her way, but tonight we let it slide ;)

As far as the resource guarding...Yeah I'm going to have to watch the toys. Probably keep her marrow bone in her kennel and only let her have it in there. I need to get some big pet beds so she can have somewhere to sleep (so that I don't have to leave the kennel door open) But for right now we are just rotating the dogs out. All the dogs are in kennels whenever we are asleep and not home anyway. Actually the min pins all share a kennel, but the two older grew up together and I had the 3rd for a year before I let her share. But they do good with sharing as min pins are very much den and social animals, they'd much rather snuggle together than apart and its worked for over 7 years now :thumbsup:

So what would be the best bet with the resource guarding....should I take away the object (without scolding) or should I just redirect whatever made her feel like she needed to guard it (other dog getting too close) She doesn't care if I'm near her and she's got a toy. She actually brings her toys to me so we can play tug.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:19 am

Yeah, a lot of times dogs like that do not do well in shelters. I mean, really, what dog should do well in a shelter? So sad how many are in shelters, but at least she is with you wether you keep her or not. It's basically like you're fostering her, but I just hate to see dogs who are passed from home to home. If you do end up not keeping her there are lots of memebers who can help/give you advice on helping you find a forever home for her.

When I was talking about the not letting them together, I was moreso talking about her and the minpins being alone unsupervised. You know your dogs better than anyone else, and I'm sure the minpins are fine together. I'm just meaning about her with them, but you already said you're keeping them seperated.. so that's good. :)

As far as the resource guarding of food, toys, bones, treats, etc just do not have those items avaliable if you have all the dogs together. Don't give her something to guard from the other dogs. If you are planning on having the minpins and her around eachother just take those items out of the equation before they're even let out together. As far as what they guard depends on every dog, and you'd just have to watch out to see if she does that with toys. You already know she is that way with bones, so assume she is the same way with any food or treats. If she acts that way towards a certain toy, then it's time to take that toy out of the picture while all the dogs are together. My dogs do not resource guard over toys at all, and a lot of dogs play with eachother with toys... So, it just kind of depends on the dog. With our dogs it's more the food, treats, & bones.

Also, just wanted to say that this is in the intro section since you're joining... After you join, you can always repost in the training/behavior section what is going on. There is more traffic in that area of the forum, so you'll end up with more responses. :)

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:32 am

:modwelcomeonly1:

Return to “Introductions”