New home for the New Year!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New home for the New Year!

Postby Nachthexe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi there, I am rescuing a beautiful, sweet, timid and very submissive pittie as soon as she is ready to go from the shelter (and assuming she gets along with my current pup, but he's the sweetest thing on earth so I see no reason why they wouldn't). Sadly I'm splitting up sisters because I simply can't take 2 dogs, and her sister is way too rambunctious for me, but the shelter they are in has a VERY high kill rate, especially for pits, and I figured rescuing one is better than leaving both. Her name will be Zipporah, and she is a light brindle with very light eyes. She and her sister are both 8 months old and were owner surrenders- apparently he had too many animals to take care of.

I've never owned a pit before so I'm here for information and networking. I plan on building up her confidence, enrolling her in an obedience class, starting out with limited exposures to other dogs and social situations, and smothering her with love. I am going to crate-train her so I'm not leaving her with my other dog Dasha (a small spaniel/setter mix) while I'm gone. Here is her pic on petfinder- it's the only one I have right now.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21800309?rvp=1

Happy New Year to everyone!
Nachthexe
Newborn Bully

Re: New home for the New Year!

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Welcome! You sound like you're on the right track! Thank you for adopting!!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Madeleinemom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Welcome, neighbor!

Thank you for adopting from Downey - both shelters there (County and SEAACA) are high kill - happy to hear that the little Pittie girl is getting out of there - thanks to you.

A Happy New Year to you and your dogs!
Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nachthexe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Thank you so much! Nice to see someone else from So.Cal (I'm in Long Beach).

I really feel horrible about splitting up sisters, but I will give my info to the shelter to give to the person who adopts Zipporah's sister (if she gets adopted... I will certainly try to promote her!) so we can arrange visits and playdates. :)
Nachthexe
Newborn Bully

Postby Madeleinemom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:23 pm

Then we truly are neighbors, we're in Lakewood!

If you ever need help with the multi-dog home type stuff :) , let me know, and I hope that Zipporah's sister gets adopted as well.

I know that you feel bad about splitting up the sisters, but it may be in their best interest - siblings and same genders often don't get along, as they mature.
Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nachthexe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:56 pm

^ Terrific, thank you so much!!

I admit that after reading 6 pages of the Dog Park thread, I am scared stiff to welcome a pit into the house, especially one who has yet to mature. I really love her and know my other dog would never start anything with her, but I'm worried about him now if she decides one day that she doesn't like her housemate. :/
Nachthexe
Newborn Bully

Postby Madeleinemom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:04 pm

They may be best friends for life - and they may not. Time will tell, and if you're keeping both separately crated, when you are not right there to supervise, you will be fine.

Time is both your ally with many issues, and also the mirror of truth - we had peaceful coexistence with two opposite gender APBTs for about 1 1/2 years, until the male turned 'on', and the peace ended. We managed them via crate-and-rotate, and all was well.

But, not every 'Pibble' turns hot, some are cold for their entire lives.

Like every breed, they have unique traits, so that is just one of them - the most important being that they are lovable with their humans beyond measure :)
Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nachthexe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:14 pm

Is it possible to only keep the pit crated when I'm not around? My current pup has the run of the house (er, other than when laundry is out because he tends to hoard socks) and doesn't need one. I'm sorry to ask so many q's in an introduction thread. I really do hope they are friends for life, but as you said, time will tell, and I'm willing to put in the effort to make it work. I really don't know what I'd do if I couldn't even walk them together, though. :/
Nachthexe
Newborn Bully

Postby Madeleinemom » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:59 am

Nachthexe wrote:Is it possible to only keep the pit crated when I'm not around? My current pup has the run of the house (er, other than when laundry is out because he tends to hoard socks) and doesn't need one. I'm sorry to ask so many q's in an introduction thread. I really do hope they are friends for life, but as you said, time will tell, and I'm willing to put in the effort to make it work. I really don't know what I'd do if I couldn't even walk them together, though. :/

You can absolutely train the Pit to enjoy her crate, when you are not there, while allowing the other dog the 'run of the house'.

When we were a 'three dog' home, both Pits were crated, while the Rottie-X had the bedroom to herself, and it worked fine.

And - there are never too many questions :bowdown: - questions and answers allow us to learn.
Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Nachthexe » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Thank you so much for all of your information, it's been very helpful!!!

If I take Dasha to the shelter to visit Zipporah each day before she comes home with me (there is an application and spaying and other things yet to be done) so they can parallel walk & sniff each other in the parking lot, do you think that will help with getting along and initial spatial issues? I can't see Dasha being territorial at all- he doesn't resource guard, he's not possessive with his toys, and he is very submissive and well-mannered. I think if anything he'll be a good role model for Zipporah.
Nachthexe
Newborn Bully

Postby Madeleinemom » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:09 pm

The shelter environment is a unique one, and tends to stress the dogs.

I think your idea to walk the two future 'roomies' is a good one (I'd run it past the shelter's adoption coordinator, assuming they have one).

However, please note that dogs that come out of a shelter environment can take a while to 'decompress', once they are in their new home.

I think you will be fine, if you implement safety measures from the beginning (such as keeping them separated, when you are not right there).

Keep us posted!
Madeleinemom
Adolescent Bully

Postby spammie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:43 am

:modwelcomeonly1:
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions