New Member!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New Member!

Postby crlovel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:59 am

My name is Chris. I grew up with Belgian Tervs and Chows, and have been involved with obedience training and agility in the past. When I left home, for several years, my wife and I had cats, and we finally bought a home with a fenced-in yard a few years ago. We recently decided to rescue a dog, and focused on the pit breed as the dog of our choice, chosen for their intelligence, loyalty, and energy. After scouring several SPCAs and doing the necessary research on this breed, we settled on our dog, Joker, and brought him home this past Saturday!

Joker came housebroken, which was a welcome relief. He also knows basic commands, "sit" and "down." At first, these commands demanded a treat in hand, but now he'll do it on his own (usually). He's also being crate-trained, which he's not wild of, but he's adjusting nicely (treats and lots of praise!). He is also learning that his three new sibling cats do not enjoy being chased, or wet noses up their bums. The cats, for their part, have never seen a dog, and they are cautiously approaching him on their own to examine him. In less than 36 hours, we're already where we thought it would take weeks to be. He is learning to be more gentle and to mind his manners, and the cats are slowly realizing that he's not going to eat them. Each of them have come up to him for sniffs and inspection, and one of the males seems to be very interested wanting to be friendly. Until he is fully trusted, though, he stays on a leash in the house, and is at mine or my wife's side at all times.

Joker loves to run and play in the backyard, and he certainly enjoys long walks. Soon, he'll be meeting other dogs when he's enrolled in obedience class.

And now for the obligatory pictures. These are his SPCA mugshots. Enjoy!

crlovel
Newborn Bully

Re: New Member!

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:06 am

Oooh a shar pei cross? Does he have the blue tongue?

He's super cute! Welcome!!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby crlovel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 am

He does! A deep purple tongue, and he knows how to use it!
crlovel
Newborn Bully

Postby Azul » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:22 pm

I love to read cat introduction stories! My cats are the same as yours and have never lived with a dog. Most of the time they view the neighbors' dogs from a limb high up in a tree (getting them down gets old after a while). We live on a farm, so being outside during the day is part of their job.

We brought Blue home earlier this month. We had no idea how he'd do with cats. He's actually really good with them, more curious than anything. His first encounter with the cats resulted with him getting smacked in the face. It isn't what I had wanted to have happen to him, but looking back I think Blue learned to respect the cats from the beginning and things have gone smoothly since then. Our youngest cat likes to "play" with Blue, although I don't think they are playing the same game. She gets really disgusted when Blue tries to lick her with his big, wet tounge! At least he isn't chasing them or trying to bite them. One weird thing he does is herd the cat around when he wants to keep her away from something (me, his food, toys, etc.). I don't think he'd hurt her on purpose, but he's 10 times as big as the cat so it tends to worry me. When we let Blue out in the cat part of the house, he doesn't even try to eat their food or get in the litter box. What a great dog!

Two of the other cats are just starting to get used to the idea of having a dog for a brother. Please keep us posted on how all of yours are getting along!
Azul
Newborn Bully

Postby crlovel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Today it went amazing. He gave one cat the most thorough exam the cat has ever received, and he held still for it. Joker's tail was going a mile a minute. Joker doesn't seem to know his own size and strength. I'm hoping he gets to the point where he just ignores the cats, and he's getting there quickly.
crlovel
Newborn Bully

Postby spammie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Welcome Chris and Joker
:modwelcomeonly2:
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions