Hi everyone :)

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hi everyone :)

Postby amalie79 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:38 am

I've lurked for a while and I recognize some of you from other forums, but I decided it's time to show my face, so to speak. :)

I live in Arkansas with my SO, his daughter, and our menagerie.

We have a 7 year old black lab, River. We adopted her from the shelter when she was 4 years old. She's high strung and I never thought she'd settle, but she's finally getting there. We just earned her Rally Novice title last fall, and in ten days we start trying for the first leg in Rally Advanced. She's a momma's girl and I love her to pieces.

Two years ago this week, we found a sweet 1 yr old little pit bull running around the neighborhood. When it started to sleet, we took her in out of the cold and she's stayed ever since. Robin's sweet, funny, tolerant, low-key and very afraid of people. But she's come a long way since we first had to carry her into the vet's office. It's a slow road, but she makes progress every day. I had wanted a pit bull for a long time; she fell into our laps and I don't think I'll ever be without a pit bull again.

Several months ago, someone dumped this little puppy-- tied her up outside a business with no food or water, in 105º heat. Once it was clear she was, indeed, dumped, we brought her home. She was 4-5 months old. Sweet, clingy, and scrappy. The best guess is probably a shar pei/pit cross, a common cross in our neck of the woods; her fur is definitely that of a shar pei and makes me itch if I catch it wrong. Any way, it was a full moon the night we brought her in, and so she is named Luna. She's almost a year old now, and has begun exhibiting some resource guarding with the others, so we're on some tight management and classical conditioning. Unfortunately, her snuggle time is strictly limited with this set up. :( But she is in an intermediate obedience class now, doing fantastically. Smart as a whip and loves everyone (loves our herd of cats a little too much, but we're working on that, too.); we start her Rally Novice title in March. She was scheduled to come with me to the one in 10 days, but they have BSL in that town. At any rate, it took me some time to warm up to her-- I didn't want a puppy and I didn't want another female. We had to let our 16 year old lab/setter cross go in the spring, and I just needed time. She has more than her share of issues, but I am nuts about her now. She's a sweetheart and she'll make a great sports dog.

So that's us! The forums we used to frequent have been pretty quiet, and I'm needing my pittie chit-chat fix. :hi
amalie79
Newborn Bully

Re: Hi everyone :)

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 am

Welcome! Thank you for adopting and rescuing! You have some cute babies :) Hope you like it here.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby rubyandstewiesmom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Oh wow! Luna is BEAUTIFUL! I guess when I think Shar/Pit cross I wouldn't think of that look....she is stunning! And your pittie...well, I'm biased. Absolutely adorable!
rubyandstewiesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby amalie79 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks!

Shar/pit is our (and our vet's) best guess-- her fur is like a horsecoat pei, and she has quite a bit more meat mouth than your average pup... but when she puts her ears back, her head looks very pittie. :)

She's an absolute handful-- she's smart and everything you could ask for when she's in working mode. However, if you're not ready to work? She's a little Tasmanian Devil. :twisted:
amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby spammie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Welcome to PBF. You have a great looking crew...and Luna's ears are spectacular. There's plenty of folks here who can help with the resource guarding.
:modwelcomeonly2:
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions