Meet Lilith---she needs guidance!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Meet Lilith---she needs guidance!

Postby katoom400 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:51 pm

We just brought her home from the shelter 3 weeks ago.

The wife is settling in nicely with the dog, we are still working on the jumping up and the getting on the furniture, but it's going to take time....it's only been 3 weeks. she now walks very nicely on leash...(thanks to the gentle leader head collar) and the "accidents" in the basement have stopped. we would like to trust her with run of the first floor, but I just don't think she will stay off the sofa...and I know she will scratch at the front door and destroy it.

our biggest challenge now is separation anxiety. (we do not tell her we are leaving, or say goodbye...just put her in the basement and go...) previously she was in the basement during the day with doggy door out to her 16 X 16 pen. the problem was as soon as we left she would scratch like crazy at the hallway door...she is completely destroying it. so we decided to put another doggy door in the hallway door and then put a 36" tall baby gate from the living room to the hallway. at least then she would have a nice warm comfy place to lay during the day. Today was the first day we tried it. we left for work and my wife watched her through the front window....within minutes she jumped the 36" gate.. what now? the largest gate I can find online is 41" I just don't know if she'd jump extra 4" that just as easily.

Our last problem is with other dogs, I have now brought her over two different friends homes who have other "dog friendly" dogs, it first she is very good, a bit submissive and then once comfortable she turns into a little "bitch" she will do a little sneak attack where she nips/bites and runs away once the other dog responds. I tell her no and put her in a "time out" but I have to keep following her around the house like a 2 year old. I need to find a way to stop this as all of my friends have friendly dogs and this will end up isolating her from many activities. she is however very good with the kids and the kids friends....(which earned her major points with the wife)
katoom400
Newborn Bully

Re: Meet Lilith---she needs guidance!

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:02 pm

katoom400 wrote: Today was the first day we tried it. we left for work and my wife watched her through the front window....within minutes she jumped the 36" gate.. what now? the largest gate I can find online is 41" I just don't know if she'd jump extra 4" that just as easily.

The only thing I can think of in this situation is that the baby gates aren't going to work. First you have to teach the dog what the baby gate means, then you have to enforce that meaning...when you're not there, you can't enforce it and dogs are going to do what's rewarding to them. It could get to a point where she "respects" the gate while you're there, but not while you're gone.

katoom400 wrote: Our last problem is with other dogs, I have now brought her over two different friends homes who have other "dog friendly" dogs, it first she is very good, a bit submissive and then once comfortable she turns into a little "bitch" she will do a little sneak attack where she nips/bites and runs away once the other dog responds. I tell her no and put her in a "time out" but I have to keep following her around the house like a 2 year old. I need to find a way to stop this as all of my friends have friendly dogs and this will end up isolating her from many activities. she is however very good with the kids and the kids friends....(which earned her major points with the wife)

Are Pit Bull type dogs new to you? It's okay if they are, but I ask because if they're not, I'm surprised this is an issue for you. It's pretty well known that PBs aren't great at having doggy friends. Sometimes, every once in a while, someone will get lucky and have a dog friendly PB. But overall, I've found that they just don't. And them not getting along with other dogs can range from annoying to dangerous. They were bred for quite a long time to fight other dogs, so it isn't really surprising...granted your dog likely was never (intentionally) in a fight with another dog, and neither were my dogs...but it's kind of like retrieving for a Golden.

You're going to have to come to the realization that your dog might not ever like other dogs...and then you need to either quickly get on board with that or find the dog another home ASAP.

In our house we have two dogs, and we live a crate and rotate lifestyle. We can have our dogs together, mainly for walks, or when we're in a very low energy setting, but it's a lot of work on us always watching for signals. It's just easier if we keep them separated. And to be honest I think they like it that way, it's less stressful and they know what's expected.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Re: Meet Lilith---she needs guidance!

Postby spammie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:14 pm

First, welcome to PBF. There's a lot of sound wisdom around here.
I think things are moving really fast for your girl and she doesn't yet know what is expected of her. Do you have a sturdy dog crate? It be time to invest in one and and slowly acclimate her to it. Also, here's a link to a helpful thread. It's a method I use when bring in a new foster or resident dog. Even though you've had her 3 weeks, it not to late to use it.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654
Also, please post this in behavior/training where more eyes will see it. We have some qualified behavior people here.
Thanks for adopting! :thumbsup:
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions