New to the Forum

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New to the Forum

Postby KdotOdot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:48 am

Hi Everybody,

I'm new here form Ontario Canada. BSL country where the BSL is sketchy at best with countless pitbulls on leashes on suburban areas in the hands of good owners :angel:

I am currently waiting for my first pitbull puppy to be born in March. I currently have a rottweiler in Schutzhund training. I've always had rotty's all my life but I've always wanted a little ball of agile energy. I was first introduced to the breed in the early 90's through a friend who had 3 pitbuls and a messy house 8) The things these dogs were doing were incredible. Climbing trees, jumping over ANYHTING, hanging off tires, fetching. These were athletes in every sense of the word. Well, European paranoid parents and the their daily dose of negative media ended that dream real quick.

Well 20 years later and my wish is finally coming true! I can't WAIT to get some agility work going. And I'm also looking forward to raising another ambasador for a breed. My rottwieler is a marshmellow. The love of the neighbourhood and "I wish my dog was as well behaved as yours" envy of other dog owners in the area. I want the same for my APBT. The want my neighbours to see the breed for what it really is, a loyal to the death lovable ball of energy.

I'll be here looking for advice on the breed and offering some training tips ;)

Good things!
KdotOdot
Newborn Bully

Re: New to the Forum

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Welcome. Don't be surprised if you get flamed because of your irresponsible choice to get a dog that isn't legal where you are. We need responsible owners in the breed, and obtaining one illegally is NOT helping our fight. There are numerous members on here from Ontario, and they also wish to own the breed...but they are waiting until the BSL is overturned, like a responsible owner would do. By getting this puppy, you are having no regard for its life. Please think long and hard about how your selfish choice will effect the pup and others wanting this breed. Read around the forum and educate yourself. There are tons of info here on the breed.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby KdotOdot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Curly_07 wrote:Welcome. Don't be surprised if you get flamed because of your irresponsible choice to get a dog that isn't legal where you are. We need responsible owners in the breed, and obtaining one illegally is NOT helping our fight. There are numerous members on here from Ontario, and they also wish to own the breed...but they are waiting until the BSL is overturned, like a responsible owner would do. By getting this puppy, you are having no regard for its life. Please think long and hard about how your selfish choice will effect the pup and others wanting this breed. Read around the forum and educate yourself. There are tons of info here on the breed.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk

I have to disagree. By getting the puppy I am essentially saving it's life as it will be sold to who knows who in god knows were. They litter will be sold with or without me. Pitbulls litter the streets of Toronto. I happened to hear about this breeding through the grapevine. I'm not saying I'm for it, but since it's going to happen regardless I don;t see why I shouldn;t give it the best chance it has. I have a vet who will ensure it is not a pitbull on paper.

Times are hard here man. I'd rather take a puppy and save it's life then have it sold to some unknown punk.

The puppy will be raised at home then shipped to my home in the Dominican.

Beleive me, my neighbourhood is FULL of "pitbulls" and "pitbull" crosses. No one has been effected by BSL yet. Not saying it's not possible but as long as she/he is leashed I don;t see a problem.

I can;t rescue here. I figure this is the closest I'm gonna get.
KdotOdot
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:37 pm

There are so many things wrong with your thought process, I honestly don't know where to begin.

Lets start with "By getting the puppy I am essentially saving it's life as it will be sold to who knows who in god knows were. They litter will be sold with or without me"....this is what backyard breeders thrive on! They know people like you that mean well, will take their pups. This encourages them to breed another litter, and another, and another. There is nothing responsible about breeding/purchasing pit bulls in BSL land. Especially when the breed is so overbred it's not even funny.

Then this one "my neighbourhood is FULL of "pitbulls" and "pitbull" crosses. No one has been effected by BSL yet. Not saying it's not possible but as long as she/he is leashed I don;t see a problem"...really?!?! Just because your ballsy irresponsible neighbors do it, doesn't make it right! You need to wake up, and think about things. You are only helping screw up BSL getting overturned by breaking the law, and keeping a dog in the area with a good possibility of being caught.

Oh, and this one cracks me up.. " I have a vet who will ensure it is not a pitbull on paper". Do you pay any attention to the news? There have been pure bred papered dogs of breeds NOT pit bull that have been Euth'd because the "look like/have similarities" of a pit bull.

You need to read up...Start with these:

(Breeders Code of Ethics)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49670

(Fellow member, foster mom...and from Ontario-Read her story)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=151494&p=1985001&hilit=Pit+Bull+in+Canada#p1985001
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Ugh I wish this was a joke.

I will reply further after work but I too am in Ontario with a LEGAL pitbull and if you are disillusioned enough to think that "nothing has happened yet", you're either ignorant, in denial or don't watch the news/read the papers.

Can't wait to meet you when your pup gets seized and you call me to fly your pup out of Ontario (it will be my fourth already in 2012...)
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby KdotOdot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Ok well since I'm delusional and have a warped thought process. Tell me how you would handle the situaiton.

I guess I have to give you more facts.

This is not a breeder but rather an accidental breeding. Farm dogs and irresponsible owners. The owners of the dogs are hell bent on selling them. I'm not going to call the authorities because quite frankly it will lead to a world of chocolate. IF they don;t sell them they'll kill them. farm mentality. No one wants the dog, it's dead.

Maybe I'm a softy but I just kept thinking about it and decided to take one.

I watch the news and read the papers, and I've been on the internet for the last 3 weeks reading up on this. From what I can tell there are a LOT of different stories, from horror to triumph. One Ontairo court gave a man his dog back because they couldn't classify what exactly a "pitbull" was.

Also a story of a family who got back their dog "LAB/ABD" after a vets testimony.

Most of the cases seem to stem from neighbours calling the police on their neighbours.

I mean what if you were to find a wandering pup? Do you ship it out or do you keep it? Imean the more people fight unkust laws the more chances of them getting overturned or thrown out.

There seems to be a lot of fear mongering on both sides. Hopefuly we'll get a good decision on February 23rd in Queens Park eh Allison :thumbsup:

love the LEGAL in caps btw nice touch.
KdotOdot
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 pm

I DID have a puppy. His name was Enzo. I sent him to Nova Scotia and I KNOW I could have been a responsible owner.
I live in a small town where no one would ask questions.
I could have kept him safe.

And it ripped out my heart when I sent him away.

You, the idiots who breed these dogs (please don't call it an accident since intact male + intact female does not an accident make...it makes a horribly irresponsible and ignorant owner) are pouring salt in the wound.

I know each and every story intimately. Do you?
The tens of thousands of dollars spent on court fees, the months the dogs spend in limbo, their only contact with AC officers, the unexplained injuries sustained?

No one is fighting harder to change this law. No one wants a pitbull puppy more. But I will NOT put any dog of mine at risk by blatantly ignoring the law.

You DO realize that there is still a large possibility the ban will remain, desire Bill 16 right?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Oh, by the way, got a message today from someone who has been given one month to prove her dog is not a Pitbull. It is registered through her vet as a boxer/lab/American bulldog. She has vet records from the parents of the dog that say the same.
It may not be enough.

I'm on stand by to smuggle her dog out of Ontario.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:02 pm

Oh yeah, I also was part of a team this weekend that smuggled out an eight year old, otherwise legal, pitbull. She was attacked IN HER OWN YARD by a beagle mix that sustained punctures in te scuffle.

Because the dog was unleashed/unmuzzled, it had until Monday to get out or be euthanized.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Hm. Well look at the email I *just* received:
Hi everyone:

We have a request for three large (36” in length) or extra large (42” in length) donated vari kennels to fly three Southern Ontario Pit x’s to a Calgary based rescue.  The dogs are scheduled to fly out from the Toronto Airport Sunday February 19th.  Does anyone have a crate to donate?

Thank you.

Still think "nothings happened"?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby KdotOdot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 pm

I understand what you do and it's commendable. But you still didn't answer my question. You just reacted emotionally. Which is ironic because that's what I'm doing.

As I'm typing this animal control showed up at my sister in laws house. Her dog is registered as a boxer cane corso cross. The warden thanked them was satisfied and left. She found that dog on the side or a dirt road wandering 2 years ago.

I have yet to hear a story of someone getting their dog snatched off the street. It's usually nosey dog hating neighbor.

What you're doing is awesome but there is a place for people like me. Those who choose work outside the law. Hey you know about that you're a smuggler ;)
KdotOdot
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Don't compare me to you. I'm the one saving the dogs people like you own. My issue is that if you ARE caught, and don't flatter yourself, the possibility exists, you get a $10000 fine. Big deal. Your dog gets seized and either flown out of Ontario (if he's lucky) or euthanized.

Lets say for example that your dog does live a long, safe, happy life. What about the rest of the litter? If you are as upstanding a dog owner as you claim, it makes it 10x worse that you are accepting this puppy as you are CONDONING breeding illegal dogs?

I shouldnt have to fight from with inside this circle too. I'm too exhausted fighting the people who hate pitbulls to fight the ones who claim to be in our corner. You should be ashamed.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Also, to answer your question as to what would I do? I would tell the breeder he's an idiot, attmpt to convince him that his dogs are not safe and neither are their offspring. I would offer my help in getting them spayed and neutered. I would offer to get the pups out of province. I would be ignored. I would be told "I'm a good owner, it won't happen to me!" I will sit back and wait and pray that I don't read about these pups in a headline somewhere. I would inevitably end up seeing at LEAST one in danger, and start calling rescues outside of Ontario. I would get the pups vetted and then send them out on a plane.

And you ARE ignorant if you think you can't rescue a pitbull in Ontario. You are either ignorant or too lazy to look or too rushed to wait. There are tons of legal pitbulls for adoption within the province. You are CHOOSING to get an illegal puppy.

I might actually use your ignorant above posts however as proof that the bam only affects innocent and responsible people. Irresponsible owners like yourself are just ignoring the law anyways.

But while you're enjoying your illegal puppy, I'll be out campaigning for his safety with my muzzled, toothless, legal pitbull by my side.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby KdotOdot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Golf clap.

Your answer to my question was "I would do nothing"

Thought so.

That law is meant to be ignored. And as you can see it takes all kinds to fight a war.

Ps why is your dog toothless and why would you muzzle a toothless dog? To show how you are conforming against your will playing the victim? That's what's wrong with our society. People are quick to play victims but not quick to rebel.

You just seem to like waving your flag.

Flame on :)
KdotOdot
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Introductions