Should we euthanize our pit bulls?

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Re: Should we euthanize our pit bulls?

Postby Azul » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:49 pm

This is an unfortunate event that has happened. RIP Rosa.

Since we don't have much history on Toby, it is difficult to say what the best thing to do would be. I am a firm believer that euthanasia does have a time and a place. If you don't trust Toby and think he will attack again, then perhaps it would be best to find him a home where he is the only dog. This is probably going to be difficult to do since he has known aggressive behaviors towards other dogs. Since your wife is a vet tech, she could ask some other professionals in your area for advice. In the end, you and your wife are the only ones that can make the decision about Toby's fate.
Azul
Newborn Bully

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:00 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I would be so heartbroken!

However, I agree with majority of posts in here.

I was in the ER last night with my little girl. Why? because I mismanaged my dogs; I set them up to fail; to do what b*tchy female terriers do. One was being a total b*tch and the other had reached her "ignore" threshold. I left the room without separating. And now - one of my dogs has a drain in her head. Did I think of putting either down ? NOPE - because it was my fault. And PS - i used a break stick to break it up. I learned here not to use my hands or fingers.

Hell my fellow friend who owns a mix and a little staffy mix, also had a drag out fight last night. Her staffy mix has damage to nasal canal. Is she thinking of putting her dogs down? NOPE.

It's called managing a multi-dog house. (yes I know I need a brush up - forgot my dog was a dog)

I don't even know if this is breed specific or not breed specific (reread post about friends dogs). And especially when it comes to food=danger!

BamBam (below) and I hope you stick around and learn from this experience. Again, I am sorry for your loss.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:07 pm

mstrk wrote:So, what can my wife do by herself home alone as she is watching her babies murder their sister in front of her eyes?

Poor Rosa was not their sisters, and even if she was it would have not matter, litter mates have killed each others after growing up together. The blood relationship is not important, household dynamics and social roles are. It is going to be hard for you to see the situation fairly if you think of your pit bulls, or any dog, as fluffy Disneyland characters. They are animals. You mentioned that you noticed that "Toby didn't like the way Rosa growled" and food was in the picture...what happens after that is a response to a conflict, and it does not make a dog "abnormal" to the point to euthanize him. When there is a fight, arousal is at high levels, there is prey like vocalization and another dog can join in.

I am a woman as well, with breed experience, and I know very well what happens when there is a serious fight in a multiple dog household. I am sure your wife has tried everything in her power to stop the dogs and couldn't. Been there, it is draining when you are alone and you have powerful animals that are set on killing each other, even when you are prepared.A breaking sticks does not solve a situation as quickly as some seem to think.I've never lost a dog over a fight, and I prey it never happens, because I don't want to live with the guilt of not being able to help them. Your wife was alone and probably had no plan nor was expecting any of this to happen. Sometime we learn things too late.

It is never the dogs' fault, let that be clear, and you have an opportunity to understand that with the help of those who posted here.If you cannot stand to look at those dogs find someone who can understand what happened and is willing to treat them fairly. If Toby is no longer in this world, that is the outcome of not learning enough about our breed and dog behavior.That is only on us, not on animals with a smaller brain than ours.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby ams036 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:27 pm

First of all I am sorry that you lost a beloved companion and that your wife basically was left helpless trying to pry the dogs apart and was just left watching. That had to be horrible and I am sure it has her pretty shaken up.

I would not blame the dogs though. They were just doing what dogs do. Rosa challenged your other dog by growling over the food and the other dog saw that, deemed it unacceptable and jumped on her. I am also not shocked your other dog got in on it, it's absolutely normal. Based on that information alone, I would not say there is anything wrong with either of your dogs mentally and it is a very unfortunate situation that you can turn into a learning experience of how to handle your dogs from now on.

I have two dogs, one is a 5 yr old staffie mix and the other is an APBT mix. They are great together, have a good relationship with one another but they are absolutely NEVER allowed near food together because the staffie mix has had food aggression issues with other dogs in the past and it's just not worth the risk. We keep one dog kenneled and the other in the kitchen or separated by baby gates while they are eating and we separate them before we even start making their food, to avoid any problems. Our dogs are also only allowed together when we are able to watch them. Otherwise they are separated at all times.

I, too, learned the hard way with the my staffie mix. She attacked one of my parents older dogs while I was giving them treats one day. I was young (18) had taken her off the streets and really had absolutely no idea what I had gotten myself into by keeping her, but putting her down never crossed my mind, even when I was at the vet getting my 13 year old dog stitched up and $3,000 in vet bills later. It was not an option and I felt like I had failed her. Then I found this board, I read and read and read and read. Now she is very well behaved, well mannered and I have thankfully not had an issue like that again.

If you don't think you can, in a sense, "forgive them" (even though they truly did nothing wrong) then I think you should take the steps in effectively rehoming them with someone more informed and willing to take the necessary precautions when owning more than one dog. Mistakes happen, all the time and I know it hurts that you lost a dog, but whether you want to hear it or not it was you and your wife's mistake of not thinking of them as animals, not always family members, and they did what animals do. I think the more you read up on everything and read a few dog behavior books, you will better understand what happened and that your dogs are not vicious creatures, but just dogs.
ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby patty » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:42 am

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Your posting brings tears to my eyes and reminds of a situation that happened to me almost 4 years ago now. Just as you, it was the reason I came to PBF.

I was beyond distraught after watching my Raphael being attacked right in front of my eyes. We had 3 dogs that lived happily together for years, until the fateful day a neighbors dog was loose and came to our front gate barking wildly. Raphael and our female pit were outside sunning that morning. Both ran to the front gate and began barking. I was doing dishes and our other male was inside the house. I never let him out with those two. Rapahel was old, our other male young and powerful, they did not get along. The front door was ajar, out he went and re-directed on Raphael out of excitement. It was several minutes before I could break them up, I tried pulling them apart, got the water hose, broke a flower pot to make a loud noise, finally I got the comforter and threw it. He stopped. But Raphael was 13 at the time and severly injured. I rushed him to the vet, but he passed 2 days later after surgery.

As your wife does right now I hated the dog who re-directed and could not understand why. I wanted to find him a new home. I know he suffered for a few weeks from my neglect. I read postings on PBF and slowly began to understand. It took time, actually months before I could really come to terms with what happened.

I hope you and your wife stay with us. As you can see many of us have had similar situations and would love to help. I know your hearts are broken. My thoughts are with you and your wife. Praying for comfort in your hearts and mind.
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Azul » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:02 pm

patty wrote:I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Your posting brings tears to my eyes and reminds of a situation that happened to me almost 4 years ago now. Just as you, it was the reason I came to PBF.

I was beyond distraught after watching my Raphael being attacked right in front of my eyes. We had 3 dogs that lived happily together for years, until the fateful day a neighbors dog was loose and came to our front gate barking wildly. Raphael and our female pit were outside sunning that morning. Both ran to the front gate and began barking. I was doing dishes and our other male was inside the house. I never let him out with those two. Rapahel was old, our other male young and powerful, they did not get along. The front door was ajar, out he went and re-directed on Raphael out of excitement. It was several minutes before I could break them up, I tried pulling them apart, got the water hose, broke a flower pot to make a loud noise, finally I got the comforter and threw it. He stopped. But Raphael was 13 at the time and severly injured. I rushed him to the vet, but he passed 2 days later after surgery.

As your wife does right now I hated the dog who re-directed and could not understand why. I wanted to find him a new home. I know he suffered for a few weeks from my neglect. I read postings on PBF and slowly began to understand. It took time, actually months before I could really come to terms with what happened.

I hope you and your wife stay with us. As you can see many of us have had similar situations and would love to help. I know your hearts are broken. My thoughts are with you and your wife. Praying for comfort in your hearts and mind.

:goodpost:
Azul
Newborn Bully

Previous

Return to Introductions