Hello from Jethro in Arkansas!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello from Jethro in Arkansas!

Postby jethro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:08 am

I recently purchased a gorgeous little black and white apbt puppy this past weekend. He is 10 weeks old and as sweet as he can be. He's already super muscled up looking and very wide in front. I hope he will grow to look like some of the big pits I've seen on the internet.

I will be 27 in March. I am married and have 3 children. I have a 7 year old daughter, a 4 year old daughter, and a 15 month old son. I am a stay at home mother but I also have a dog kennel where I raise, breed, and show champion line english mastiffs. I love the mastiff breed but as all my dogs are kenneled, I don't have anything to guard my house and that's why I decided to purchase a pitbull puppy. I live out in the woods and am home alone quite a bit and wanted protection. I had pits as I was growing up and loved them.

My new puppy's name is Jethro. We are now starting on house breaking. He is so funny. He's already been barking and chasing my cats around the house (I firmly told him NO NO and stopped) and this morning he had a complete fit when my floor robot starting sweeping the floor. He was barking and lunging and growling at it. As of right now, he's laying on the couch with my 4 year old watching cartoons.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/418158_10150550870565974_503615973_9217212_1174286701_n.jpg
jethro
Newborn Bully

Re: Hello from Jethro in Arkansas!

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 pm

He's cute, but why get a APBT if you wanted a "big" dog to be a guardian? They don't fit the bill in either way.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby jethro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:04 pm

I didn't say I wanted a big dog. I meant that I hope he grows up to be on the bigger end of the pits as I've seen them be anywhere from 40-80 lbs. Since I raise English mastiffs, I definitely know what a "big" dog is, as several of my dogs weigh 200 plus lbs. And as far as the guardian part, I thought pits were the best family protectors in the dog world, are you saying that's not true?
jethro
Newborn Bully

Postby starrlamia » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:11 pm

Pit bulls are not a guarding breed, in fact they are the opposite and extremely friendly toward family and strangers alike

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shearaha1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:15 pm

starrlamia wrote:Pit bulls are not a guarding breed, in fact they are the opposite and extremely friendly toward family and strangers alike

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Yes, but they were also historically used as farm guardians. That may be what jethro is talking about.
Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:16 pm

jethro wrote: I thought pits were the best family protectors in the dog world, are you saying that's not true?

Yep, not true. They were known to be very loyal...but not protectors. If your dog isn't from good lines, who have a history of being true to the breed, then atypical issues may arise-such as fear.

Stick around, get to know us (and your dog), share some pictures (definitely of the mastiffs too, please) and enjoy yourself. :hi
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Shearaha1 wrote:Yes, but they were also historically used as farm guardians. That may be what jethro is talking about.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that is the first time I've ever heard that and I've done quite a bit of reading. Why would a terrier (with high prey drive) be used for guarding a farm...with animals, I'm assuming.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby jethro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Well I don't want him to be mean or aggressive or anything. Even the meekest pitbull will give someone pause before they enter your yard. I mainly just want him to look intimidating to strangers entering my property.

I had a few pits growing up and they were the best dogs ever. I wanted to get one because I love the breed, but I don't know all the ins and outs of the breed. That's why I wanted to join this forum - to learn. Thanks.
jethro
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:I'm not saying you're wrong, but that is the first time I've ever heard that and I've done quite a bit of reading. Why would a terrier (with high prey drive) be used for guarding a farm...with animals, I'm assuming.

I know that my grandparents used "pitties" and other terriers (welsh, westie and airedale) as their farm dogs. Admittedly they raised poultry and their main concern were rodents. But my Daddy is always telling the story of their one pit bull who stopped a thief from taking some of my grandfathers prized chickens.

I have to also admit that I may be confused and am mixing family anecdotes with true history :oops:
Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:29 pm

jethro wrote:I mainly just want him to look intimidating to strangers entering my property.

I think you'll get what you're looking for. I find more people who are afraid/intimidated of them than those who aren't. It always feels special when I come across someone who isn't afraid of my dog, like they "know". lol
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby jethro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Where I live there isn't a huge concentration of pits. I did a lot of searching before I found just the right pup. I love Jethro's looks and his personality. He's just a lover and wants to be held all the time. If I'm not holding him then he just stays cuddled at my feet. I want him to be gentle but scary looking, lol. Do you know what I mean?
jethro
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Shearaha1 wrote:I have to also admit that I may be confused and am mixing family anecdotes with true history :oops:

No worries!
jethro wrote:I want him to be gentle but scary looking, lol. Do you know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean. Not always, but sometimes I want the same thing....like when my husband isn't home and I have to answer the door. My dogs bark their heads off...and I let them. And if I really want to be comfortable I'll hold Trooper by his collar (while he barks). Really he just wants to meet whoever is at the door, but the person doesn't always know that. Typically if we're expecting someone-friend, pizza guy, etc-we put the dogs behind baby gates. We're aware enough to know that not everyone loves our dogs as much as we do.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby spammie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Welcome to PBF. Although pit bulls are my breed of choice, mastiff are a close second. Do you show the mastiffs?
spammie
Regulator

Postby jethro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Yes I do
jethro
Newborn Bully

Postby spammie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:41 pm

:modwelcomeonly2:
spammie
Regulator