Hello to all!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello to all!

Postby Shadow Rhelm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:12 am

Hello everyone! My name is Chelle.

I currently live in Louisiana and will be moving to Texas in 3 months. My husband is Air Force so lucky us LOL. I am a Mommy to 3 human children ages 5, 11, and 13. I have 4 AMAZINGGGGGGGGG dogs. I have a 9 year old White Shepherd / Golden retriever mix named Yasmine, a 9 year old wiener dog names Trai or often just called Wiener, a 5 year old Shih Tzu / Bichon Frise mix names Trixie (my only attitude child), and a 2 year old American Pit Bull Terrier names Lady Bug.

I also have 4 cats; my orange tabby Popeye is 11 years old next month, I have a special needs (mentally retarded inbred) orange tabby who is 4 names LuLu, a black kitty names Daisy Mai, and a newly rescued calico torti named Madeline.

I also have 2 rats names Pippee and Piper and a dark eyed white ferret names Angel.

I worked with animals professionally most of my adult life in many different settings, from animal shelters, to vet offices, owning my own pet sitting business, being a dog trainer, running small animal rescue out of my home privately as well when I worked at 1 shelter because the BOD would not allow anything but cats and dogs (some one had to do it) and as a young tike a dog walker. I have loved animals all my life and have always dedicated my life to rescue and education.

Unfortunately, I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis most of my life and have been lucky until the last few years when it chose to no longer allow dormancy and can no longer work with animals in a professional setting. So I am a double major in college soon to graduate in both criminal law and social psychology. I work for an electronic cigarette company from home and have been with the company for 18 months, they are based in Hawaii and I am lucky to get to work for them from home.

Due to my disability I have been LUCKY enough to have the best helpy helper in the world. My AMPT Lady Bug is my service dog and was trained by me and a local professional trainer to rise to her success and she loves nothing more than having a job. She has been initially trained as a mobility service dog (and affectionately called my walker) and over time she is learning to slowly perform tasks I am slowing beginning to lose the ability to do. Without her I have no idea what I would do. She is not just a service dog but also a well loved family pet who has a strong bond with her furry siblings (even the rats) and she has also turned out to be a great asset to my 2 older dogs who have some anxiety problems with storms and fire works and other sounds of the like. She does an amazing dog helping to calm them and an incredible knack for ignoring her tiny big sister the Shih Tzu mix whom is the house hold drama queen. My dear sweet Trixie has a mean streak in her while also being a very possessive dog who must be forced to do anything, and I mean anything. To even get her to go outside to potty she MUST be carried or she refuses to go outside. She is also my only biter (despite never causing damage) she sure knows how to give hell to a pant leg like no ones business. She is really a piece of work sometimes.

We have been fortunate so far to not have to suffer from BSL yet. The only place we have had with active BSL was in Minot ND and at that time we lived on the AFB (one of the few that allow or did allow all breeds) so due to that and the fact that we did not own an APBT for the few years on that station, we did not have to endure it. We fear every time we move or we hear the cries of the fearful to have it enacted. By definition Lady Bug should be protected since she is a service dog, but we have seen it happen to others anyways. I come from a family where most of us own APBT's and always have and until my husband met me, he too was fearful of them. His family as well, but that goes for numerous breeds.

Anyways I talk too much LOL so I should probably stop myself or I may be here till the morning. Pleasure to meet you all.

Chelle :)
Shadow Rhelm
Newborn Bully

Re: Hello to all!

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:31 am

Welcome! Pleasure to have you! You have quite the full household! From my understanding, you should be protected if she is your actual service dog. I understand the issues with duty stations and the breed, as it was one of the many reasons I decided to separate and not reinlist. I think you will fit in great here, as well as be a good addition to PBF! See you around :)

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:26 am

Hi Chelle! :welcome: to PBF. I was stationed in Grand Forks for a couple of years, small world huh?

I agree with Curly, I think you're going to make a great addition to the board. If I were in your shoes, I'd always have the part of the ADA on me that showed you're allowed to have your dog. Additionally, if you don't live on base the Fair Housing Act protects you and your service dog. The only reason I know these things is because a friend was just talking about it on Facebook, that situation was a little different because the dog was still in training. I got out of the military in 2007, and we'd aquired our PB in 2006, I'm so happy (now) that I made that choice. I think it's very unfair to ask our service members to do what they do, and restrict them in this way.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby spammie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Welcome to PBF, Chelle. We'd love to pics of your crew.
:modwelcomeonly2:
spammie
Regulator

Return to Introductions