Hello from Missouri!

Re: Hello from Missouri!

Postby haranka » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:04 pm

welcome christy 8)
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:54 am

Hi Christy! While I'm not familiar with Akita's, it's common for PBs to not get along with other dogs, so lots of people here have some sort of crate and rotate situation going on in their house-myself included. We have two resident dogs, one foster and two cats. All of the dogs are separated by rooms or baby gates and the cats have a room (and a couple of tall towers) that the dogs are not allowed in. We keep their food and kitty litter in there as well. Originally we used a baby gate to keep the dogs out, but then they got used to and for the most part stay out of there...everyone once in a while someone will sneak in a get a "kitty treat" out of the cat box.

Each dog gets the same amount of time out, and the way our house is set up, they can always see us-even if they're not the ones hanging out in the living room with us. The two resident dogs take turns sleeping with us at night, and I don't think the foster ever will, but we switch him out at night between a bedroom (we call it the arts and crafts room) and the living room.

The only animals that are together when we leave the house are the cats, and they're in their room. The foster is in the A&C room, Trooper (male resident dog) is in the living room and Bailey (female resident dog) is in the master bedroom.

It might seem overwhelming at first to adjust to a C&R lifestyle, but I promise it becomes almost second nature :)

Good luck!

Postby Leslie H » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 pm

While typically Akitas are very different than APBT's temperamentally, there are many rules and ideas for managing multi-dog households that you may find useful. The search funtion can be very useful.
Leslie H

Return to Introductions