Rescued pit pup

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Rescued pit pup

Postby acollins22 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi my name is Angela. I rescued a pit bull puppy last Sunday running across a busy street. I posted flyers that night and haven't received any calls. Her foster is no longer able to take care of her and I have to find a new foster or permanent home TODAY. I would gladly take her in but I live in an apartment and this pup definitely needs a yard. She is about 8 months old, she gets along with kids, cats and other dogs. I have contacted every organization that I know about in Louisiana and they are either full or low on funds. Can anybody help me?
acollins22
Newborn Bully

Re: Rescued pit pup

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Did you contact Sula? I imagine you have but it is the only pit bull rescue I know of (I live in Minnesota) in LA.

Is there any way that you can keep him until a rescue can put another foster/adopter in place? I know he doesn't stand much of a chance anywhere else in LA.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby acollins22 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:23 pm

yes, i have, they have not responded yet. I have a friend of a friend that said i could bring her by at 5:30 and if she gets along with the other dogs then he can keep her for a few days. I am really hoping that this works out because I am out of options at this point. But even if she does get to stay with him, I still have to find something more permanent for her. I had no idea that pits were so hard to get adopted. She is such a sweet, smart, loving pup.
acollins22
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:27 pm

It will take some time to get a response from any rescue. They are generally run by volunteers who have regular jobs as well and the time they have to do their rescue work is "extra".

I hope your friend is able to take this pup. Would he/she be able to keep the pup separate from his own dogs? This would be for the best as you have no idea if the pup might have some illness and this could keep the peace for a long enough time for the pup to get into a reputable rescue. If he has anyplace separate to keep the pup that would be ideal for now. I'm going to go find a thread about it and post again.

Also there used to be a member of this forum that did some rescue work in New Orleans. I'm going to see if I can find them and send them a message about your situation.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby acollins22 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:31 pm

I will pass the information on to the new foster. Thank you so much for your help. It's good to know that somebody cares!
acollins22
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Ok Angela. I sent a private message to the new orleans member. I'm not sure if she reads much here anymore though.
Maybe someone that knows her on facebook will see this post and help too.

Here is a thread about getting a new dog and introducing them to your household (for your friend). I know a lot of people just throw all their dogs together and hope things work out but this works better:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654

Good luck! Maybe you will get posting rights and can post in the Rescue thread about this pup in a day or so.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Welcome! Have you had the pup scanned for a chip? Please follow the advice given above. The "2 weeks Give em a Break!" thread is very valuable in these situations.
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby acollins22 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:05 pm

I have not scanned her for a chip yet. It's hard to find a place that is open past 5 for me to bring her. I printed out the 2 week post and will give to the new foster. Thank you for your help.
acollins22
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm

It's possible she has a chip. Hope your new foster will check! Wriggly pups can get out of a collar quite easily. Hoping for a good new update on this pup.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby acollins22 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:38 pm

well she didn't exactly have a collar on. It was a choke collar with a padlock which our lovely firemen were able to get off with bolt cutters. Yes, I will definitely update :)
acollins22
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:29 am

acollins22 wrote:well she didn't exactly have a collar on. It was a choke collar with a padlock which our lovely firemen were able to get off with bolt cutters. Yes, I will definitely update :)

Oh that is sad! I wouldn't want her back with her original owners then anyway! It is very nice the firemen were willing and able to get it off her.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby acollins22 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:32 am

I was able to find her a new foster but the foster's 2 kittens are not liking their new roommate. I don't know what to do with her :(
acollins22
Newborn Bully

Postby Enigma » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:09 am

Why do you think this puppy NEEDS a yard? If you're able to take her she will do just fine in an apartment, you will just have to walk her more. Many of us don't have yards and our dogs do great, I've fostered many dogs without having a yard, there are other ways of exercising a dog than letting him loose in a yard.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby acollins22 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 am

I have a cat that was viciously attacked by a dog in 2008. He is completely terrified of dogs now and is not allowed to go outside anymore due to his injuries. That's why. Please ONLY reply to this post if you can help, thank you.
acollins22
Newborn Bully

Postby Enigma » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:47 am

You don't need to get rude, I was just asking a question. And FYI I've fostered an EXTREMELY cat agressive pitbull for FIVE MONTHS in an APARTMENT with 8 CATS. So please, don't give me excuses, if there's a will, there's a way. :thumbsup:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Next

Return to Introductions