hello from upstate ny

Re: hello from upstate ny

Postby haranka » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 pm

welcome tyler 8)
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi Tyler! :welcome:

Thatvwguy wrote: i also have 5 month old red nose/blue nose mix also female named jetta.

You'll soon fine that there really isn't such a thing as a red nose blue nose mix. I mean, I guess one parent could have had a red nose and the other parent a blue nose, but mostly people who don't know any better use this as a way to describe their dogs. And while yes, it does describe the color of the nose, it's really nothing more than that-there's plenty of info around here on that, I'm sure you'll come across it at some point. People will try to tell you it's a "line" of dog or a more specific type of breed...it really isn't. Way back in the day there was a line called Old Family Red Nose (OFRN) I don't know that there are many of those around, I'm not really into that sort of thing, but it's what I've picked up from being on here.

If you're not familiar with crate and rotate, I'd suggest looking into it. Do you leave your girls alone together when you leave the house? If so, you might want to reconsider. I'm sure you know the heritage of the "pit bull" and because of that it is always suggested that the dogs not be left alone unsupervised-if they were ever to get in a fight while you weren't they could really hurt each other, or worse! Also, because of their history it is possible that later on down the line your girls stop getting along. There's nothing wrong with them if that happens, but you should be prepared...and that's where the crate and rotate will come in. Plenty of us members do it and it's easy peasy :) Don't buy into that "it's all in how they're raised" hooey. Part of it IS how their raised, but you also have to consider their nature-you wouldn't be upset with a Collie herding or a Golden retrieving would you?

Good luck to you! I hope you like it here, and just so you know we LURV pictures :))

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Tyler, here are some links that you might find useful. The first couple are from here, and the other are BadRap.org and Drsophiayin.com

Dog park-I don't know if you guys go to the dog park, but just incase (you really only need to read the first post)

Dog aggressive

Two weeks-give’em a break-I can't remember how old your dog has to be to do this, but it says at the top of the first post in red (again, you really only need to read that first page to get the idea)

Introducing new dog to resident dog

Doggy body language

Breaking up a fight

Developmental stages of puppies

Bad rap website for training and resources

Dr. Sophia Yin’s website for training and resources-this lady is pretty freaking awesome, and recommended often here!

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:34 pm

:welcome: Please read the links Jamie posted, as well as all of the stickies at the tops of each section.

I'm going to move your other post about Dog Agression into the Behavior Section so that you will get more replies.

Return to Introductions