Introducing Bruno!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Introducing Bruno!

Postby Das Disco » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Hello world!

My name is Will and i am the new proud owner of a PitBull/Boxer mix puppy.

About me:

I currently reside in West Los Angeles and have a nice big apartment with a huge patio. I live with my fiance Keely and we have been wanting a pup for a very long time. We have our own small business in Insurance & Asset Management (Auto, Home & Life insurance / Emergency funds, IRA's, Money Market & Mutual Funds) and I also work for a State Farm agent in Culver City. I am 27 years young and have been heavily involved in the dj community. I am a part of djforums.com and have been in the industry fover over 10 years. Its my passion and i have done many projects such as integration of MIDI from OSC (Using devices such as iPads to communicate with Dj and music production software) and currently host events in Downtown LA that are all Electronic Music oriented.

The Space:

Our apartment is about 800 square feet and very warm and cozy. We have a massive patio thats almost 500 Square feet in itself... Maybe a bit more. I have installed a 6 foot wide by 6 foot long pet turf space for Bruno to be able to have a little slice of the park at home. This is to help him with his potty training and a nice space to lay when he feels like going outside. I bought him a huge cage that came with a seperator so for now we have him in about a little less than half the space of the cage for sleeping and him living while we cant keep an eye on him. As he grows we will open up the cage space for him.

Bruno:

Bruno is about 9 weeks old and we start his first set of shots today. He was adopted this past Friday (01/18) and his mom was a pitbull and his father was a boxer. He is brindle with white on his chest, a black mask and a little white on his paws. He is such a lover! He loves running around and giving us kisses and playing. He was not really liking the cage at first and thought we might have to remove him. We did not want to let him out after he started to whine as we didnt want him thinking that behavior was to be rewarded. He calmed down and seems to be doing just fine. We have been socializing him with many of our good friends and we are just waiting for his shots to take him out and let him play with other dogs.

Special Notes:

We noticed that sometimes he is breathing very rapidly when he sleeps but only at various times. Not sure if its normal but he does not show any indication of being sick. He had a firm stool when we brought him home but it has became a bit loose. We think its the switch from whatever they were feeding the puppies to the stuff we feed him now which is higher quality puppy food. The stool seems to be hardening though, i think its just the initial shock and stress of rehoming and what not.

Today was his first time alone in his cage. Because of our schedules we cant be home with him 24/7 but my office is so close that i have a nice schedule worked out. I take him out in the morning and play with him and then he goes back into the cage. I leave at about 845 in the morning and i return at 11 am to let him out and play and do his business. I return at 1 PM and again at 3 PM to let him walk around and do his business.

When he has an accident in the home i give him a little tap on the butt and give a firm NO but i dont strike him and i dont yell at him. The pat is more of an attention getter as i heard boxers can be sort of air heads haha. I would never strike my pup. After that we put him outside on the fake grass for a bit and then bring him inside after about 5 - 10 minutes.

Also when he starts biting our carpet or something i do the same.

I currently feed him a half cup of kibble in the morning and one cup at 1 PM and one cup at around 5:30 when were both hime. For his size i found he should be fed around 2 1/2 cups a day. It says after 8 weeks to feed him only twice a day but i think the half cup in the morning is nice to get something in his belly for the early morning.

That is pretty much it! All comments and suggestions are welcome. Bruno is not our first dog so we have experience with pups before, although it was not the same breed. I hope we are taking the correct steps into raising our newst addition to the family.

Thank you guys for your time :)

-Will

Das Disco
Newborn Bully

Re: Introducing Bruno!

Postby Toycrusier » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm

I also have a pit boxer mix. Got her from animal rescue when she was 9 mos. old. And have had her for about 2 1/2 yrs. now. When we brought her home one of the first things she did was poop and pee on the floor. I knew she was scared so I wasn't upset. I just lighted scolded her and took her outside. She has never done it again. She learns very fast. I'm sure , you like me will just love her to death. It is a wonderful mix (boxer pit). She is smart , loves people including children and even gets along with our 2 cats , which were kittens when we brought her home. The only problem I have with her is she is a little aggresive toward other dog's. When I take her for walks and let her off leash, I have to keep a sharp eye out. When she see's another dog approaching she get's in a stalking position (like a lioness stalking it's prey) and walks toward the other dog. And I'm pretty sure that's what makes the other dog mad. She's only got in one scrap with another dog which was a golden retreiver. I had to pull them apart and all she had was a little nic on the back of her ear. The other dog was fine.
But the strangest thing happen last week. She saw a dog with it's owner off in the distance so I wasn't worried and let her walk a little farther without the leash. The next thing I knew she took off running toward the other dog. I just knew I was in trouble. But when she got there she didn't fight just sniffed the other dog while the owner put her dog in the car. Just makes me wonder wheather she is trying to protect me when I'm close to another dog. Anyway, all ended well.
Toycrusier
Newborn Bully

Postby Toycrusier » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:58 pm

Here's Roxy my pit boxer mix.
Bruno is a sweet looking dog. TakeImage care of him.
Toycrusier
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:35 pm

HI there and :welcome:

Just to touch on a few things you mentioned, I'm going to post some links below for your reading pleasure. Please take the time to read them, as they address most of what you are asking about. After you've read through these links, and all of the stickies at the tops of each seciton in this forum, please feel free to post any issues you may have. I hope we can help you, and that you enjoy it here!

Alpha/Dominance Theory Info: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=133680&p=1778024&hilit=Debunking+Alpha+Theory#p1778024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More Alpha Info: http://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And More Alpha Info: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... 416-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tons more links for you in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154755&p=2019970&hilit=Debunking+Alpha+Theory#p2019970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) Training: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:modwelcomeonly1:
Last edited by Curly_07 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Took out a link I posted for http://www.positivedogtraining.org/ as it seems they have turned to Alpha Theory and some physical training.
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Introductions