New and considering pitbulls. Here for the information!!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New and considering pitbulls. Here for the information!!

Postby gladahmae » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 am

I'm 29, live in MI, and currently have a 9yo lab and 3 children (7, 5, and 1). And a husband of course. ;)

We've been talking about adding a second dog, and I'm attracted to the 'people-oriented' personality of pitbulls. Plus, there are a lot of them in the shelters and rescues in our area and I'd rather adopt a 'teenage' or adult dog than buy a puppy. We don't think our lab would adapt well to the go-go-go of a puppy, so we are trying to be patient and wait for the right dog to come along.

There is currently a 1/5-2yo (estimated age there) pit/am. staff that has been at our local shelter for quite a long time. She was surrendered when her family moved, and we went to meet her yesterday. Out of the 5 dogs we met, hers went the best by far. She was very laid back (the shelter worker also describes her as being very mellow), the least reactive to the kids and the grumbles from our set-in-his-ways lab. She basically looked at them, and then found something else to do. She was friendly, had a gentle mouth for taking treats, etc.

If a dog has been in a shelter for 6+ months, do you think you would be seeing their actual personality since they would likely have acclimated to living there?

After reading about the 2-week shut-down process I have some questions before we consider bringing her into our home, especially since this shelter does NOT have a trial-period for adoptions. How do you work a 2-week shut down with an adult dog that may not be crate trained? I am completely befuddled by this, and in all my searching I can't find an answer. We could make a 'dog-proof' area in our basement to keep a dog in, but I feel like it would be really mean to get a new dog, and then lock it in the basement.

I've got more questions, but I think I would get more thorough answers once I can post in the correct sub-forums. :)
gladahmae
Newborn Bully

Re: New and considering pitbulls. Here for the information!

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Ah!! I just wrote out a really long post and my phone ate it! I'm in class now and hopefully if someone else doesn't reply I'll be able to tonight. Welcome! You've come to a great forum to get answers (all of which are perfect). :)
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby gladahmae » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 pm

so, we kind of 'went for it' tonight, and volunteered to foster a mama while her milk dries up, she gets spayed and healed up for adoption. She's a pit mix, about 2 years old. We're going to do (to the best of our ability given our household and layout) the 2-week shutdown to give her a chance to adjust to a)not having her pups with her.....they're 6wks old and b) being in a new house. She IS crate trained, so that should help tremendously.

I talked for a long time with the kids tonight about how we're just going to take care of her until she can find a home, try to teach her how to be a good doggie, and be nice to her.

I'm a little familiar with NILIF, and I'm also a big fan of the kikopup youtube channel, and will probably use some of her tutorials for shaping good behaviors once she's adjusted to the house. I've got kongs and a petIQ treat ball ordered, and they should be here in a few days. If you think the petIQ ball won't hold up, I've got a much thicker plastic one somewhere in my basement that we could give a go first.

Trying not to have an anxiety attack about it now......
gladahmae
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:14 am

I'm going to approve you...please post your questions again in the threads addressing your concerns. You will get more answers there, as most members don't freaquent this section.

Oh!....and Thank you for fostering, and thinking about adopting!

:modwelcomeonly1:
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Introductions