Hi Everyone! We're new here!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hi Everyone! We're new here!

Postby withlovejP » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:18 am

Hey everyone,

I'll start off and introduce myself. My name is Jessica and I'm from New Orleans, LA. Today, my boyfriend and I decided to adopt the sweetest and cutest puppy from the Jefferson Feed Pet & Garden Center. Her name was Tootsie there, but she never responded to it, and I didn't feel as if she liked it, so we renamed her to Paisley. Well, at the Jefferson Feed Pet & Garden Center, they said that Paisley is a Lab/Hound Mix and they also said that she is 8 months old. My boyfriend and I believe otherwise. We both think that she is a Mountain Cur/Pitbull Mix and we believe that she's about 6 months old AT MOST. I wanted to ask what everyone on here thinks!

Thanks for reading! =)
withlovejP
Newborn Bully

Re: Hi Everyone! We're new here!

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:29 am

Hi! and :welcome: I'm not sure what she is...but I'd lean more towards what you and your boyfriend have guessed rather than the rescue. Unfortunately, sometimes they'll say things like that so the dogs are "more adoptable". I think it's bad business. If people believe them and the dog does have PB in it, they're going to be less likely to be accepting of certain traits-such as dog aggression. Some people think-all dogs should be treated the same. And while I understand that from a responsibility point of view (I should be just as responsible with my PB as I am with my poodle) I think each breed of dog should be dealt with sort of differently. A herding dog is going to exhibit certain behaviors that other nonherding dogs don't. And that shouldn't be viewed as a fault for that dog. Just like, PBs that demonstrate dog aggression, animal aggression, strong prey drive or an intense interest in digging should not be faulted.

With all of that said. What do you and your boyfriend know about different types of aggression? If your dog becomes unfriendly with her Husky friend, what's your plan? When you leave the house, are the two dogs left alone? Are they crated or separated? Do you guys visit dog parks?

Those are some of the biggest concerns I have when someone is a new dog owner. I want to arm as many new owners with GOOD information as I can.

Are you guys interested in doing any sort of activities with Paisley? Agility? Lure coursing? Obedience? Fly ball? Hiking? Swimming? Long walks on the beach and intimate conversations? What are you looking for in your relationship with her?
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:02 am

Your guess looks more accurate to me too! Curr and Pit Bull mixes are pretty common down there too. Please take in what Jamie said, im not going to be redundant and repeat it :) Welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby withlovejP » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi! and :welcome: I'm not sure what she is...but I'd lean more towards what you and your boyfriend have guessed rather than the rescue. Unfortunately, sometimes they'll say things like that so the dogs are "more adoptable". I think it's bad business. If people believe them and the dog does have PB in it, they're going to be less likely to be accepting of certain traits-such as dog aggression. Some people think-all dogs should be treated the same. And while I understand that from a responsibility point of view (I should be just as responsible with my PB as I am with my poodle) I think each breed of dog should be dealt with sort of differently. A herding dog is going to exhibit certain behaviors that other nonherding dogs don't. And that shouldn't be viewed as a fault for that dog. Just like, PBs that demonstrate dog aggression, animal aggression, strong prey drive or an intense interest in digging should not be faulted.

With all of that said. What do you and your boyfriend know about different types of aggression? If your dog becomes unfriendly with her Husky friend, what's your plan? When you leave the house, are the two dogs left alone? Are they crated or separated? Do you guys visit dog parks?
-----------------
Hi @jamielvsaustin!,
Thank you so much for your reply. I love PBs! I don’t see why anyone would go with the sterotypical thought that PBs are naturally“aggressive”. Any breed can be considered aggressive within their own self, and not so much because of their breed. Just like how my Siberian Husky, Ruby can have her little fiesty moments.
My boyfriend and I don’t know so much with the different types of aggression exactly, but having Ruby for a year now, we’ve paid plenty attention to her behavior. For example, yesterday I was becoming paranoid of Ruby & Paisley being around each other because it started to sound like Ruby was becoming angry with her, but come to notice, they were just playing around and getting to know each other. How I knew? Their tails were wagging and they both weren’t exactly snapping at each other. We’re both hoping that Paisley remains friendly with Ruby, but in the scenario that she isn’t… we’ll try our best to train her. For now, when I leave the house for work or school, my boyfriend takes care of her as he’s out of a job for now. But when he does pick up a job, we’ll put them in separate kennels. We’re both currently taking our dogs for walks around the neighborhood as Paisley isn’t the greatest on a leash yet, but once she is, we’ll take her out to the dog parks. We plan to sign up for a membership at a local park near home. We’re also definitely interested in taking them out for activities as well. I love Paisley already! She’s adapting well. In the future, my boyfriend and I of course plan to have a family with children and we can both already imagine Paisley being a part of it with us. =)

Those are some of the biggest concerns I have when someone is a new dog owner. I want to arm as many new owners with GOOD information as I can.

Are you guys interested in doing any sort of activities with Paisley? Agility? Lure coursing? Obedience? Fly ball? Hiking? Swimming? Long walks on the beach and intimate conversations? What are you looking for in your relationship with her?
withlovejP
Newborn Bully

Postby withlovejP » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:41 pm

by Curly_07 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:02 am
Your guess looks more accurate to me too! Curr and Pit Bull mixes are pretty common down there too. Please take in what Jamie said, im not going to be redundant and repeat it Welcome!

Hi @Curly_07,
Thanks for your reply and for the warm welcome!
withlovejP
Newborn Bully

Postby withlovejP » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:41 pm

withlovejP wrote:

-----------------

Hi @jamielvsaustin!,
Thank you so much for your reply. I love PBs! I don’t see why anyone would go with the sterotypical thought that PBs are naturally“aggressive”. Any breed can be considered aggressive within their own self, and not so much because of their breed. Just like how my Siberian Husky, Ruby can have her little fiesty moments.
My boyfriend and I don’t know so much with the different types of aggression exactly, but having Ruby for a year now, we’ve paid plenty attention to her behavior. For example, yesterday I was becoming paranoid of Ruby & Paisley being around each other because it started to sound like Ruby was becoming angry with her, but come to notice, they were just playing around and getting to know each other. How I knew? Their tails were wagging and they both weren’t exactly snapping at each other. We’re both hoping that Paisley remains friendly with Ruby, but in the scenario that she isn’t… we’ll try our best to train her. For now, when I leave the house for work or school, my boyfriend takes care of her as he’s out of a job for now. But when he does pick up a job, we’ll put them in separate kennels. We’re both currently taking our dogs for walks around the neighborhood as Paisley isn’t the greatest on a leash yet, but once she is, we’ll take her out to the dog parks. We plan to sign up for a membership at a local park near home. We’re also definitely interested in taking them out for activities as well. I love Paisley already! She’s adapting well. In the future, my boyfriend and I of course plan to have a family with children and we can both already imagine Paisley being a part of it with us. =)
withlovejP
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:34 am

:modwelcomeonly1:
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Introductions