hello from a new pittie mom!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

hello from a new pittie mom!

Postby Porkchop » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Hello all :) My name is Tara, I'm a vet tech from Washington state. Having worked in the veterinary field for the last 8 years I've fallen in love with pits and was always pretty sure I'd have one at some point in my life. My husband and I just bought our first house last year and decided it was time to add a dog to the family. Last weekend we came across a beautiful girl puppy on Craigslist (I know, I know) and while I'm generally extremely against backyard breeders this guy seemed interested in my offer to spay the mother and vaccinate her three pits in exchange for the puppy, and went we went to look at her yesterday we couldn't resist bringing her home. We have several other pets including cats and a 7# weenie dog who is still not sure she's super thrilled with the new addition but thinking about trying to like her. Here comes the embarrassing part....I find myself worrying a lot about her behavior and being very hyper sensitive to every twitch and grumble. I am ashamed to admit that the stereotypes that I've been so against my whole career are nagging at me and I worry about her being aggressive towards or hurting my tiny dog as she grows. I guess I have a lot to learn and am just not very comfortable in my dog training abilities and knowledge of reading body language so that's why I'm here. Hoping to gain some confidence so I can stop overreacting to everything and learn to be a good responsible dog owner. Its been ten or fifteen years since I've had a puppy and I've never had more than one dog at once. so..
there's my intro. I'm hoping to pick some brains and ask a lot of stupid questions and put my mind at ease :) looking very forward to getting to know you all and thank you for adding me to your group :)
Porkchop
Newborn Bully

Re: hello from a new pittie mom!

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:31 am

Welcome! I hope the guy follows through on spaying the mom!

As for the puppy behavior, I recommend watching the puppy series of videos on kikopup's YouTube channel :)
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Porkchop » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:52 am

He has an appointment for this Tuesday, I think he will. They seemed like good people, just very oblivious to the pitbull overpopulation problem apparently lol thanks for the reply,I spent several hours reading the forum and am realizing my biggest immediate issue will be teaching her bite inhibition, I'm afraid we've done her a big disservice taking her from the litter at 6 weeks. They told me she was 7-8 weeks but according to her birthdate she was 6 on Tuesday. The rest of the litter left around 4 weeks!! :o I hope I get posting privilege soon I have sooo many questions!
Porkchop
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Curly or one of the other admins will hopefully be along soon to okay your post :)
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:46 pm

AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Porkchop » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Thank you!!!
Porkchop
Newborn Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:36 pm

welcome!!

a link about multi dog homes - with more great links within...

http://www.badrap.org/node/96
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Porkchop » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Thank you! That article makes me a little nervous about their size difference but a very good article! Ok mods ...getting just a smidgen impatient here! ;)
Porkchop
Newborn Bully

Postby Porkchop » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Only joking ^ there is so much to research and read here I wouldn't get bored for weeks!
Porkchop
Newborn Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Porkchop wrote:Thank you! That article makes me a little nervous about their size difference but a very good article! Ok mods ...getting just a smidgen impatient here! ;)

I can understand that .... but there are a lot of pit bull/ lil dog "parents" on here who do very well.

if you dig deeper in the article the links within give good tips on "keeping the peace" - of course it is good to be aware of the potential of things but a lil management goes a long way....

p.s. posting pictures is a good way to pass the time while waiting to get approved ;)
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Porkchop » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:21 am

I can understand that .... but there are a lot of pit bull / lil dog "parents" on here who do very well

That makes me breath a sigh of relief. I know many people who have big dogs and littles but not potties. Just have to brag on my girl for a min..we've had her three nights now and crate her at night and when were at work. The first night she cried for about 45 min, last night around ten and tonight not a peep! Just laid down and went to sleep like a good girl <3 so smart, this one! And she has yet to have an accident in her crate, although the Max we leave her in for is 4-5 hours at a time when were sleeping. Still...I'm impressed!
Porkchop
Newborn Bully

Postby Porkchop » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:22 am

*pitties not potties!
Porkchop
Newborn Bully

Postby Porkchop » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:28 am

Oh, and one more thing. As soon as I figure out how to use photobucket on my phone you're gonna wish you never asked for pics! Heh heh :inlove:
Porkchop
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:40 am

If you are posting from your phone you should download Tapatalk forum host if you don't already have it. You can upload pics and post to the forum from your phone with Tapatalk. It makes posting much easier to me :) Photobucket is what most of us use from a computer to post pics.

As for your approval, I will let you in as soon as I can get to my laptop! Welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy using Tapatalk 2
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Porkchop » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks curly!! :) I will get onto to app store and look for it. Really dying to post some pics! :)
Porkchop
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Introductions