Hi from central Texas

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hi from central Texas

Postby jblindy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Good evening PBF! My name is Jason, I am 42 and in the military. I am happily married to my wife, Sarah, who is 34, and we have 2 boys ages 17 and 7. I have always wanted a pit bull terrier but could never convince my wife to allow one into our home. So it became my mission to prove to her that pit bull terriers can make a great family pet. Well, since I'm here, you can see that I did indeed finally convince her and we are the happy new home of Max, our 9 week old pit bull. We adopted him from a gentleman that wanted to breed his two pit bulls. He was going to get them them fixed but wanted to breed them first for the purpose of keeping the pick of the litter and gave the rest away to good homes free of charge. My wife and I got the second pick and we immediately fell in love with Max. We brought him home at 6 weeks and he is doing very well and has been given a clean bill of health by his vet.
Currently we are working on his obedience. He has picked up potty training very quickly but still has his accidents when Sarah and I aren't paying attention. He has the "kennel" and "sit" commands down pat and we are working on "down", "stay", and "drop it".
In the future, I would like to get an AKC AST or a UKC APBT, but that will be a few years down the road.
Anyway, that's a little about my family and I'm glad to be a part of this group of APBT lovers.
jblindy
Newborn Bully

Re: Hi from central Texas

Postby jblindy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Here are a few pics for your pleasure. The thumbnails are clickable for larger pics. they were taken with an iphone so aren't really the best quality.:

Snoozing on the couch a few days after we brought him home

After bath snooze

Isn't sure about the camera

Chillin in the kitchen

I haven't got any recent pictures, he's in his kenell sleeping right now or I'd snap a few. He's 9 weeks and weighs 16 lbs.
jblindy
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:59 am

Hi Jason, are you aware that all AF/Army bases have a ban on PBs? I assume you don't like on base and are close to retirement-is that correct? Perhaps you're Navy or MC.

Here are some threads discussing it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148262&p=1947790&hilit=+military#p1947790
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146597&hilit=military

Do you guys have any plans for activities you'd like to do with Max? Agility, dock diving, tracking, nose work, weight pull, rally, etc? Or are you just looking for a companion for your family? Do you guys have other pets?

:welcome: to the forum. In the summer time the forum seems to slow down a bit, so you might not see much activity...but give it a month or two and it'll pick up :)
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby jblindy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:18 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Hi Jason, are you aware that all AF/Army bases have a ban on PBs? I assume you don't like on base and are close to retirement-is that correct? Perhaps you're Navy or MC.

Here are some threads discussing it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148262&p=1947790&hilit=+military#p1947790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146597&hilit=military" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you guys have any plans for activities you'd like to do with Max? Agility, dock diving, tracking, nose work, weight pull, rally, etc? Or are you just looking for a companion for your family? Do you guys have other pets?

:welcome: to the forum. In the summer time the forum seems to slow down a bit, so you might not see much activity...but give it a month or two and it'll pick up :)

Yes, I'm aware of that but I don't live on post. Never have and, if I can help it, never will. We have a house with an acre and a half of ground for Max to romp around in. As far as retirement, I did it opposite of most folk. I retired from the civilian sector when I was 37. I sat at home for a year and the retirement pay didn't measure up to the standard of living we were accustomed to once health and life insurance were paid. So after much contemplation and deliberation and talks with the family, I decided to join the Army. I am a Sergeant promotable right now and am going to be putting in my Warrant Officer packet here in a few months. I figure I can do the army thing till I'm 58, retire, and draw two retirement checks.

As far as our plans with Max, he is just going to be part of our family. Maybe we might attempt to work toward getting him certified as a service dog but that takes a huge commitment to training.

We had two cats, Sammy and Vedder. I had them both since they were kittens and they both passed away within a few months of each other a couple years back. I've always been an animal lover but my wife really doesn't like cats, she tolerated Sammy and Vedder because I had them before we met. When they died we discussed getting another pet, but that's as far as it went because I wanted an APBT and my wife would have nothing to do with it.

Growing up, I had a doberman and a shepherd and both were great dogs. Unfortunately we had to give Angel, our doberman, away when I was a teenager because she was overprotective of "her" house and thought that the road in front was her property too. Mind you, this was before there were leash laws, she would harrass the neighbors as they were out walking so dad had to get rid of her cause no dog of his was going to be tied up on a leash.
jblindy
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Backwards smackwards...before you're 60 you'll have two retirements-that's awesome! Well, from one vet to another (Army brat who served 4 yrs in the AF) thank you for your service.

When my husband and I first started talking about getting a dog I mentioned APBTs and he said-no, absolutely not-not if you want to have kids in the next ten years. We currently own two (and two cats). We've also fostered and really can't see our lives without some sort of PB companion. I have found that owning a PB type dog is more difficult than I expected...but it has caused me to be a more responsible owner and because of that-no matter what kind of dog (animal) I own I will now have a certain set of standards. If you're not familiar, you should look up dog aggression and animal aggression (commonly refered to as DA/AA). Lots of PBs have one or both and they shouldn't be faulted for it. If you're a fan of the dog park, you may want to reconsider after reading this thread (really the first post has the meat of the information): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50274" And if you ever decide to get another dog/animal you'll want to look into crate and rotate. Typically those are the very basic things that are advocated for on this forum to new members. If you're already familiar with them-you're one step ahead.

Something I always like to mention/talk about (and you'll see a lot of it around here) is your method of training. If it involves alpha/dominance styles/terminology, you're going to want to up your knowledge. You've said it's been a long time since you've had a dog, and back then those training methods were very common/popular. You might be surprised to know they're now not only frowned upon by the general (PB) community but also the main guy who promoted all of that has taken it all back, said it was a mistake, and advises against it.

Here are a couple of good websites to poke around on when you have more time. They all have really good information on them (and you'll find, they're not the only ones-there's a ton of info out there for you).

http://drsophiayin.com/ Look in the "resources" area
http://www.pbrc.net/
http://www.badrap.org/

Once again, welcome to the forum. Hopefully a mod will come through soon and approve you so you can post elsewhere.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby jblindy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Nope, not a fan of the alpha/dominance style of raising/training a pet. I feel as long as they are a happy member of the family there won't be any issues, and a tired pet is a happy pet. I love to run, hike, and walk as well as my wife. He has his regular play toys and his special play toys, though I'm sure he doesn't know the difference just yet, but he will learn; like his flirt pole is only used as a reward after training. We have regular playtimes and daily training sessions. So far all is well. I'm sure he will be a handful once he hits his adolesent stage, but with early training, I hope to mitigate some of the issues.
jblindy
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:53 pm

This is such an awesome intro! Welcome :) I'll approve you shortly once I get to my computer.

Thanks Jamie for all the info! Saved me a bunch of time looking it up and posting it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy using Tapatalk 2
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby jblindy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:36 am

Bump to the top for forum approval, por favor.
jblindy
Newborn Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:53 am

:modwelcomeonly1:
Curly_07
Regulator

Return to Introductions