A decade of bully breeds

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

A decade of bully breeds

Postby BULLYsADVOCATE » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:10 pm

Hello all, my name is McKenna. I am 23 years old and live in south Orange County, California. I have owned dogs all my life, being born into a household with a 110 lb black German shepherd-- I gained an affinity for large and powerful dogs (never been much of a little dog person). I am a certified positive dog trainer at my local Petco, and have worked there for about a year and a half. My first encounter with a bully breed was terrifying; I was probably 8 years old and catching frogs at a creek. Behind a chain link fence, a white dog came barreling down the hill in its yard and proceeded to bark and growl menacingly, and when I poked a stick through the fence, it grabbed it and chopped it to bits. So what did I do? I went home and got reinforcements-- tortillas! I can back and fed them to the 'savage' dog, and she immediately became my friend lol. After that, I brought some sort of treat whenever I went to catch frogs. Later I met the owner, and he told me the dogs name was chum. A few years passed and no other pitbulls (they were not common in my area).

Several years later, I rode my bike to HB main st. and came across a bunch of dogs in crates. I stopped to pet them, and asked the lady (who was showing dogs for adoption) of I could walk one. I was only 13, but she handed me the leash to a gorgeous brindle, and I was hooked. I had no idea what a "pitbull" was, or that there was any negative stigma to them. I rode my bike there every weekend after, and quickly became involved in pitbull rescue. I helped out at adoption events, fostered dogs, and went up to Los Angeles for week long trips to the kennel/home where they stayed. I was a very troubled teen, and these dogs saved my life. I began to rescue and rehome pitbulls of my own, personally finding homes for 22 dogs.

However, two of the dogs I got were unadoptable and they continue to live with me. Tanya is my baby; she's a 10 year old blue nose, who I have had since she was a year and a half (she hates anything with fur). Abby is a 6-7year old lab/shep mix (I think; her and her brother came to me as 'pitbull mixes' but there is definitely no pit in her). There is something very off about her, and even at 3 months of age she was trying to bite. The only people she does like are me and my parents. Both were placed a couple times (Tanya before her animal aggression really started to develope, and Abby when she was still young) but always got returned. I am happy that Tanya stuck with us, she is the best dog in the world (at least in my eyes).

I have owned just about every other animal out there, and currently own 3 leopard geckos, 4 ball pythons, 3 hermit crabs, and a 20 gal fish tank. I have had a ferret, bearded dragons, a hamster, praying mantis, turtles, birds, etc in the past.
BULLYsADVOCATE
Newborn Bully

Re: A decade of bully breeds

Postby haranka » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:56 pm

Hello McKenna 8)
haranka
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BULLYsADVOCATE » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:36 am

Hi!!!
BULLYsADVOCATE
Newborn Bully

Postby BULLYsADVOCATE » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:57 am

Tanya getting frozen yogurt after a vet visit.

Tanya back in her glory days!
BULLYsADVOCATE
Newborn Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:50 pm

Welcome McKenna!

:modwelcomeonly1:
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Return to Introductions