Hello From IN

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello From IN

Postby thekl0wn » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:06 pm

Hello all. Been looking for some form of a pit for a while, and as of yesterday found the one that seems like he'll fit our home perfectly. 2-year-old foster pup (APBT/mix). Been at the same foster home since he was a puppy, and trained by the same little girl. Should get to take him home Friday after a meet-and-greet with our other dog (toy fox terrier). The local Pet Smart had a foster day yesterday, and we pretty much knew he was going home with us soon as we saw him. It was very nice to get to play with him for 2 hours and see him interact with other dogs of different breed, age, and temperament, as well as with kids. He was pretty incredible in all cases... with the hyper pups, he was able to show his dominance and then just wrestle around with them. With the older/calmer dogs, he was just happy to have a buddy. The kids is where he shines though... So gentle. Even though we don't plan to have any kids, I have tons of friends/family with kids, so it was kind of a must.

Hope to learn more about the breed(s) here, and have another great dog that proves they're incredible dogs.

Anyway, here's a pic of the soon-to-be newest member of the family: Drogo. (his current name is Drago, but since the GF and I are big Game of Thrones fans, and he's a big boy, we decided Drogo will fit him better and won't be a stretch from his current name)

thekl0wn
Newborn Bully

Re: Hello From IN

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:28 am

Hello and :welcome: to the forum!

Here are some links that you might find useful:
http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.badrap.org/what-expect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You mentioned that Drogo was friendly with other dogs-that's why I shared that info. It may be that he's always this way, and it may be that you see a change in him. Please don't feel like there is anything wrong with him (or the way you've handled him) it is a very common trait in Pit Bull type dogs. All dogs ARE individuals but the general timeframe of when most owners (in my experience) see this change-is right around the 2 year mark.

Since Drogo will be new to you guys and your home, a two week shut down is recommended-were you given any information on that? Here's the info we have on the forum for it (you'll find almost the exact same thing in other places as well): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, the dog park thread might be interesting to you: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, I know, I'm throwing a ton at you...but it'll be good to have it all in one place. You'll be happy to know that dominance theory has been debunked. I know you mentioned it between two dogs versus between a dog and a person (and those are two totally different situation) but usually if someone mentions "dominance" in any way...they believe all of the Cesar Millan hype. If you don't know better-there's nothing wrong with that. I did-for sure! He was the reason I became interested in training and behavior. Tons of people on this board started that way. But the (majority of the) community has moved away from that sort of thought process. Why train in those ways when there is an easier more clear way to communicate with your dog that doesn't destroy your bond with them?

I have a ton of links on that if you'd like me to share them (or you can search my history-I share the same ones all the time). We really look forward to having you hear at PBF and can't wait to see more pictures-we LOVE pictures :)

:modwelcomeonly3:
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Return to Introductions