sad to be here... but hello!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

sad to be here... but hello!

Postby kacopan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi - I am kel, 31, mother to 2 boys (10, 7) + baby boy #3 due in october. we live in hawaii, on the island of oahu.
i run a craft business and am a full-time college student on break... so now i'm just a work-at-home-mom, especially since boy #3 is on the way in a few months.

we adopted two puppies from our local shelter in jan 2013. our older son chose Peace, a 5-mo old red pit mix, and our younger son chose Star, a 3-mo old brindle terrier mix. before that we had 2 purebred golden retrievers who got old and eventually passed on... so we went to go look at dogs one day and fell in love with Peace and Star!

we also have a kitty named KaHokuMakamae (means The Precious Star in Hawaiian) who is 14-yo, also adopted from the same shelter. she is my little princess!

i don't know how to add pictures in the thread itself so here are some recent pics:
Peace: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 23e96740f9
Star: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ff56d3ba0a
Makamae (cat): https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 2aa8e1b43c

i am actually here because i am looking for advice/information about bully breeds and homeowners insurance. our agent told us that pit mixes and certain types of terriers aren't covered... so as it stands, we need to give up Peace girl or lose our insurance. and to add to that, i need to send in a picture of Star so they can judge if they deem him a liability or not and we risk losing him too. this is completely devastating news to us as these dogs are family to me and my husband... and best friends to my kids, not to mention the first real pets that they are responsible for. i am looking for any way to keep them, be it paying more for insurance (although i hope not too much!) or changing insurance companies altogether but just trying to figure out what my options are.

so hi, sad to be here on these kinds of terms but glad to have found this forum and looking forward to getting to know some of you and crossing my fingers that i don't lose two of my furry children!!

kel
kacopan
Newborn Bully

Re: sad to be here... but hello!

Postby El_EmDubya » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Get your dog's DNA tested and I'll bet they won't be "pit bull".
This is the easiest... path of least resistance to insurance.

LMW
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby sunnygirl01 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:47 am

Look for other carriers that do not drop coverage for breed of dogs. State Farm is one of them I believe.

I hope you can find a solution that does not include giving up your dogs. I don't know what I would do if I was faced with that situation because I would not give up my dogs. They are family. Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum!
sunnygirl01
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Farmers is who we use - no breed questions. Won't cover dog bites, but don't care what breed it is - I drilled them to be sure!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Redeyejedi » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:44 pm

I had a friend who lost his apartment here in l.a. for similar dogscrimnation. I agree with DNA testing, possibly temperament certification if such exists, and perhaps switching carriers.
My friend ended up at another "dog-specific" friendly apt, where the manager fell in love with his "pure" bred red nose and made an exception.
Redeyejedi
Newborn Bully

Return to Introductions