Opinionated in Minnesota

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Opinionated in Minnesota

Postby Fervious » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:13 am

Hi, my name is Gwen Sweeney. I like in South-east Minnesota, but I am relocating around Nashville, TN. I love game pit bulls, but I have yet to gain the experience needed to own one. As such, I've refrained from trying to obtain one until I'm more qualified.

My current dog is instead a rescued lab x tolling retriever mix named Lola. We currently are training towards either Narcotics detection or competition K9 Nosework. Right now we bikejore using some great equipment and frequent dog parks carefully. I often post reviews of dog parks.
My dog has some major behavioral issues that are part from lack of training. I've had her since she was one, but I was severely depressed from the death of a loved one and didn't train correctly. It's kicking me in hindside now.

I've been on a mission to correct all her issues. Going from completely untrained other than house training and such, in the last four months I've finally taught her how to walk properly on a leash, offleash recall, to mush, how to use a treadmill, to go bed, not to bed, and manners with guests. We also switched from entirely Purina to Purina in the morning, then frozen raw in the evening.
I'm very proud of my dog because I rehomed Lola because of several major "issues". One time while bikejorng, a dog ran out the yard (ignoring calls) and up Lola. When the boxer moved towards the bike, she clamped onto the boxer's leg and shook her head. I was startled and scared. I dealt with the owner afterwards. I showed them the wound, gave them my grandfather's number, and told them I'd be willing to pay the vet fee (stupid, I know).

In hindsight, I realized that my dog had been protecting me. For instance:
The dog had run up to her while she's high on adrenaline, greeted her for .2 seconds, then moved towards me.
She had latched onto the nearest part. Instead of trying to attack, she was quickly protect me from harm. After the dog was no longer in a path to harm me, there was no further biting.
She's also snarled at someone who tried to force their way into the house.
Since then, I have personally trusted my dog with my life and enjoy more freedom in life.

I knew about "pit bulls" at a young age, because I lived in the high crime city of Memphis. The place I resided in was a sheltered, strange, neighborhood in the midst of all the crime and gangs. I learned about pit bulls in more depth when I started getting on the internet. Over that last two years, I've come to love game pits. But when it comes to the public, I quote movies,
"With great power, comes great responsibility.
"

I'm starting to come out of my shell and attempt to be part community, as I have my eyes on a couple nice bitches and plan on handling dogs fulltime. I do have plans to purchase a puppy within one to ten years, but I am currently still deciding between two APBT bitches or a Beacuron.
My plans for this puppy would include competition french ring, bikejoring, pulling, and community education. In other words, a little bit of everything that's not showing related.

The reason I've become so interested in the ABPT is the sleek, elegant, yet strong appearance. They are powerhouses, and what can I say? I love the idea of learning new things and pushing my limits. I'm always looking for new challenges, no matter how intimidating they may be.
I look forward to living an interesting life, dwelling in the dog community.
Fervious
Newborn Bully

Re: Opinionated in Minnesota

Postby Poohs Dad » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:31 am

uff-da
Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Postby Fervious » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:48 am

Looking at the meaning of that phrase, I do admit I got wordy.
Fervious
Newborn Bully

Postby zafar500 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:01 am

That is interesting. http://pass4-sure.biz
good luck !!
zafar500
Newborn Bully

Return to Introductions