Hello all!!

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
Jsandoval0884
Newborn Bully

Hello all!!

Postby Jsandoval0884 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:53 pm

My name is Juan. I am 32 years old and live in Florida with my wife and 2 children. I have been an avid fan of the APBT since I was a child and fell in love with the breed after fostering a few bully's from my local shelter when I was single and living in MT. I am a restaurant manager and my wife is a stay at home mom. We moved to Florida after economic turmoil upturned our lives in our home state of Montana.
Florida offered a new start for us and we quickly got back on our feet and moved into our own home after a brief stint with relatives. Upon moving into our new home we felt something was missing and decided out family needed a K9 companion. I of course suggested an APBT my wife disagreed buying into the negative stereotype and a bad child hood experience with the breed. After much debated I lost and we ended up adopting a lab/ border collie x who we named Lola. Within a few weeks Lola threw up some serious red flags. For starters she was food aggressive which was concerning but not a big deal as I had some experience rehabilitating this behavior in dogs. The most concerning was that Lola did not seem to like our two year old son. She would shy away from him and would even at times growl at him if he came near her. We did not want to give up on Lola and hired a trainer to help us correct the behavior. The trainer worked with Lola but quickly told us that it would be best for us to surrender her back to the shelter because she was a bite waiting to happen. We decided that we would keep Lola and continue to work with her anxiety towards our son. We made sure to walk her daily sometimes twice a day and continue to work with her. Hoping that a steady dose of excercise, training and lots of love would correct the behavior. For a while it seemed to be a success and Lola's behavior got better. Then last night our greatest fear became reality. Lola bit our two year old on the foot while he was trying to pet her. We knew we had to make the most difficult decision and this morning I surrendered Lola back to the shelter she came from through my tears I begged and pleaded that they not immidiaetly put her down but give her an opportunity to go to a home without children. They agreed and this evening I saw her posted on their website available for adoption. Despite my knowledge of the shelter system I hold out hope and pray Lola will find a forever home.
Now that I have depressed everyone with my opening onto why I have come here. My wife and I decided that although our family is heartbroken after losing Lola that our family benefited from having a K9 companion. I once again suggested an APBT. My wife agreed saying she would trust me and welcome a Bully into our family.
I was a member of this forum when I was fostering dogs and found it extremely helpful ten and that is why I am here today. Although our hearts out heavy we must move on. I intend to rescue an APBT and want to also be part of a community that will help us in this next chapter of our lives. We would use PBF as a resource in helping train our new dog and also as a place where we could share our families journey in welcoming a new member to our family.
I am not sure how I did on my intro but please feel free to ask questions if more info is needed. I am a big fan of the forum and look forward to sharing our journey with everyone. Please forgive spelling and punctuation.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Re: Hello all!!

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:05 pm

I am sorry to hear about Lola.

best in finding a nice bully companion.

Chilly

Postby Chilly » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi Juan,

big read you gave us :) , I think you did what was best; protecting your child!

I'm a big APBT lover myself, had several of them and they where all DA so that's a thing to think of.

Maybe look at the American Bully they are mostly not DA because they are not bred out of game lines and if you take an American Bully with a Razors Edge Pedigree they are out of only APBT's x Am staffs so that line dogs are real Pitbulls but with a less drive.

A real APBT you have to work out if you don't they will be house racking dogs.

Good luck with your search for a nice Pitbull. 8)

:modwelcomeonly1:

This is an Razors Edge dog (Debeerbull's Buddy ABKC)

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:40 pm

you may also consider if adopting a more adult dog as personality /DA more or less more see-able, especially if have been in a foster home and from a good rescue group.

Jsandoval0884
Newborn Bully

Postby Jsandoval0884 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:43 pm

Thank you everyone for the feedback. We are looking at a young female APBTx about 7 months old. We will be fostering with possibility of adoption. I will put pics up shortly. As soon as I figure out how.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:00 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29762

handy link above :)

love forward to pics.

foster to adopt a great plan.

haranka
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby haranka » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:10 pm