First Time Pit Bull Owner- Meet BlackJack

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
kimandblackjack
Newborn Bully

First Time Pit Bull Owner- Meet BlackJack

Postby kimandblackjack » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:29 pm

This is BlackJack- a 5 year old Pit Bull Terrier mix currently living at a Los Angeles animal shelter. He was born on 2/11/2011 and his owner (who had also adopted him from a different shelter) surrendered him on 2/17/2016 because he was "hyper".

I originally went to see an 8 year old mastiff because I have a soft spot for senior dogs. There just wasn't a connection between us so I began walking the aisles of the pound and seeing hundreds of Pit Bulls, most too aggressive for me to even consider having never owned a Pit Bull. Then there was BlackJack who I watched ignore everyone who had stopped and showed interest in him. I walked up to his kennel and he looked up at me...I squatted down to his level and he instantly perked up. He was a completely different dog, tail waggin', kisses and showing off how he can sit on command (here's the video!) Love at first sight!

https://youtu.be/envWRFbEYt4

I am now in the preparation stage of bringing him home. He needs a dog run for when I am at work and the many other things that he needs. I've never had a pit bull, and am researching all I can about what to expect and I'm confident that this forum can help me with that. This weekend I will be going back to the shelter and spending time with him in their interaction room. If all goes well, I should be able to take him home the following weekend, 11 days!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Re: First Time Pit Bull Owner- Meet BlackJack

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:04 am

he's a doll. I like how he's paying attention/connecting to you even though he's excited and really wants out - and then a sit. sweet. what does the shelter say about him?

bad rap always has great stuff to read see http://badrap.org/what-expect for some things about the breed- also think about where you rent or own, your home insurance etc.- what are the rules about "pitbulls" if any...

http://badrap.org/dog-owner-bible - more good stuff here

he's gonna need some decompression time but think he just may be the one :inlove:

my dog (adopted, since passed) was a similar quick connection back in the day...

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:07 am

Chilly

Postby Chilly » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:23 am

Welcome Kim and Blackjack,

BJ looks like a very clever dog, I like him already. 8)

:modwelcomeonly1:

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:16 am

:welcome:

Return to “Introductions”