Introduction and of course....need advice

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
options1
Newborn Bully

Introduction and of course....need advice

Postby options1 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:10 am

Hi Everyone,

My rescue pit mix is now almost 15 months old. I adopted Riley when he was 7 months old. He had absolutely NO skill sets-was not potty trained, didn't know how to play and didn't come to any particular name. He was neglected a lot his first 6 months-locked in a basement for God only knows how many hours per day. Anyways, he's come a LONG ways since then. He's completely manners classes [was a star], comes to his name-Riley- plays and plays and plays, and is of course, house trained.

Riley is a handful. He's almost 60 lbs. My sister and I have spent a lot of time working with him, and he gets lots of exercise and socializing. While he's pretty good at home, when he is ANYWHERE else, he is A.D.D. dog and forgets everything! He's gotten better, but he tends to pull when walking. He does not come when called or listen to commands if there's another dog or person around. I need him to behave at all times, esp. "come" because it's a safety issue. He also barks/growls for a long time when someone comes to our house. He actually "nipped" at my elderly gentleman friend yesterday, which prompted this request for advise. He has no problem with dogs or cats. He is passive. He has no problem with people when we are out. Here-at home-he has an overactive protective stance. He is frightening actually. I NEVER want to lose him because he nipped somebody.

I'm considering e-collar training with a well known, reputable organization. I'm scared though. I do NOT want Riley to turn against us or others, feel pain or quite frankly, use negative reinforcement to train him, but I'm lost. This place will take him for 2 hours and states one command will be learned. PLEASE, share your thoughts on ecollars or ANY training. Would love suggestions. We love Riley so much, and I'd hoped to help him become a therapy dog. I really need him to listen though, and I feel like I'm screwing up all over the place.

Thanks so much.Oh, and how do you upload a picture? I see the link to insert, but how do you upload?Thanks.
Diana

Bullseye

Re: Introduction and of course....need advice

Postby Bullseye » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:21 pm

:modwelcomeonly2:

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Re: Introduction and of course....need advice

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:36 pm

welcome.

do NOT recommend that type of training where you are not there and e-collar is used.

you need in person positive behaviour shaping with you type training.

post in behaviour and note where you are - others may have suggestions/know good trainers.

Return to “Introductions”