A little more than an introduction...no more 2 dog days???

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

A little more than an introduction...no more 2 dog days???

Postby pops76 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:29 am

Well, as I am a new member and all, I cannot yet post in the main forum...hopefully I will get some suggesstions over here.

If you are not in the mood for a long winded post/history with a not so great ending, leave now!

Last summer we somehow ended up with a pitbull. We were looking for a dog for our children (7 yr old boy, 5 year old girl) and ended up falling in love with a lame puppy at the shelter. He was only about 8 weeks old and had a limp. I did my research and soon came to found out the breed was not what I had been lead to believe by the media.

We picked up "Spike" and took him to the vet to see why he was limping. Well, his right elbow was in about 7 pieces. Of course we had surgery and they inserted a couple of pins but he still has a uniqe walk.

We came to find out he had quite a history in his short life. He was stolen from a breeder and then dumped from a car (we assume he was either then hit or just dumped from a high speed vehicle, hence the shattered elbow) once the cops were closing in on the theives. As soon as the shelter got him they neutered him. We actually met the original owner and he has no use for him wounded and nutless, thought we would provide him a good home and let us keep him.

Anyway, Spike quickly became a part of our family and his leg healed so well that there is only now a slightly noticable limp.

Spike had a sister that was stolen at the same time, but she was never recovered....until...

At the end of october, the local shelter director called and asked if we knew anyone who would be interested in a pit. I guess because we were about the only people who actually took one from them she figured that we must know someone. I told her I would look and asked for her to send me a picture of the dog. When I got it, my jaw hit the floor. It was a carbon copy of Spike. I went and looked at the dog and the resemblance was unbelieveable. I figured fate had to be playing a role in potentially reuniting these siblings so I said I would take the girl. We named her Kiko.

Now I still do not know for sure if she is actually Spike's sister but it the markings are almost identical, same color shading, same nose, eyes, etc, etc... and their stories place them about the same place at the same time. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. Regardless we now had a second pit.

Now I know you are not supposed to keep two pits, and if you do, be prepared. But Spike, with his injury was in no position to be Alpha and Kiko seemed to be a well manered bitch...plus they were essentially puppies so we figured to give it a go.

They were instant friends. It was impossible to keep them apart and from October 28th until today they have been nothing but inseparable.

Then, today it happened. What or why, we are not sure.

My wife was working in the yard and Spike came over for a pet..quick tap on the head and then back to work. Why Kiko did not like this, I do not know, but it was on like donkey kong. They were tearing at each other and would not stop. Now they have played in the past...in fact that is all they have done and they mouth and fake fight, but tales were ALWAYS wagging and one would always roll to the ground in a submissive position if it ever got anywhere near rough. Not today.

My wife called me at work hysterical...sobbing, not knowing what to do. I rushed home and there they were in the yard sitting by each other licking each others wounds. Each was a bloody mess though. I was really worried about Spike, figuring Kiko would have the advantage with four good legs.

I went to work on Kiko first, cleaning her up. Spike ripped the hell out of her. Several punctures on the face, head, ears, and a really bad one on her back leg. Luckily none were terribly deep and I could superglue them all shut.

Cleaned up Spike next and other than a sliced ear and a couple of punctures on the back of his neck and good leg, he was fine.

Being out there with them was weird. Both acted like nothing had happened. In fact right now, they are in their dog house together licking and cleaning each other.

So, I guess my question is whether this was D day and we either have to keep them apart for the rest of their lives (not really an option) or if it was merely a come to Jesus meeting and Spike was asserting his male role.

I guess deep down I know that I will probably have to find a new home for one of the dogs as this is absolutely not acceptable. Had my children been out back instead of my wife and tried to break them up, I hate to think of what would have happened. But it was so sudden and so out of character for either dog i don't know wheter to be scared stiff because they are now "on" and unpredictable or if it was just an anomoly that hopefully will be solved with a few cuts.

Any thoughts/ideas/advice?

Oh, and Hi again.

pops
pops76

Postby Wednesday » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:09 am

I am sure many others will pipe in soon with their thoughts on this. Mutiply pits in one home can work. I have two females which is a big "no-no" and I have made it work as have others. Some people have to keep their dogs seperated at all times, some people don't. It greatly depends on each dog as they are all different.
Both of your pups are now starting to reach maturity and it is quite possible that they were just trying to establish the "pecking order". It could be a sign of one or both becoming dog aggressive. It is too early to say though.
You say it would be impossible to keep them seperated, but it is not as hard as you may think. Are they both crate trained?
Now that there has been an incident, I would keep a careful eye on them when they are playing. Keep toys and other high value treats like bones away as it could easily spark a fight.
You should post these questions under the training section. I am sure that you will recieve a ton of help there, but don't give up on the idea of having two pits. It can work beautifully.
Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby satanscheerleader » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:54 am

I have 6 pits right now living together peaceable. I guess now is the time for you to re-evalutate how they are to interact with each other. Unlike other people with different breeds I do not "let my dogs work it out". I rule the roost and I am very strict as to how they interact. No play fighting without a toy and if there is even a hint of attitude the toy is removed and play time is over. No humping, no growling, no standing stiff over each other, no toy stealing, no weird looks or anything else that can be construde as bullying. When I am in doubt as to their intentions I err on the side of caution and end the behaviour. When I shower I kennel them so the kids aren't left to deal with them. They are kenneled when I leave. They still do have alot of fun but it is a controlled fun and they are actually quite a content crew as no one feels they are being bullied nor do they feel the need to prove themselves.
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby tjbsandy » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:22 am

Welcome to the board. You'll find lots of members here who have experience for you!
tjbsandy

Postby Jp » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:44 pm

I couldn't agree with Wednesday and satanscheerleader more. I live with two pitgirls, and they play fight and try to push it sometimes, but we interevene right away. I am a 110lbs. and I am not scared to get in the middle of them, I have a water spray bottle that I use sometimes. Never let them play fight anymore, always stop it right away. We never leave them home alone together, one is always crated, as the older one gets the run of the house. If you think about how to manage, then it could work out. Bully's are very loving dogs, and it is wonderful that you possibly have siblings together!! :)
Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby ToneCapone » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:54 pm

i know a person with a similar experience
ToneCapone

Postby satanscheerleader » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:44 pm

It's definitely do-able..... if you don't mind being a control freak! lol
satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Return to Introductions