New to forum and looking for vaccination advice

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

New to forum and looking for vaccination advice

Postby jimbojones » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:05 am

Hi everyone, we just recently got a nice brindle pitty at 9 weeks old. I have pictures but not sur ehow to post them up yet. I am a little concerned about vaccinations though. She had a 5in1 shot i was originally told at 9weeks and now at 12 weeks she had a second shot. Coem to find out the orignal shot was done at 6 weeks old and now the second shot was done at 12, so thats 6 weeks apart. I was told these are the only 2 shots she needs beside rabies but the vet said she should have 4 combination shots spaced apart by 4 weeks. Kind of lost on how to approach this now.
jimbojones
Newborn Bully

Postby Daisysmom21 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:48 am

ohh thats a tough one. Sorry I'm not sure how to help. My vet always says that they can never be too vaccinated, but it turns out he's kind of an idiot. lol Well anyway, welcome! :welcome:
Daisysmom21

Postby melkissa » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:48 pm

I would consult another vet, or ask your current vet to clarify the procedures.
Welcome!
melkissa

Postby tjbsandy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:12 am

:welcome:

Just do all four sets of shots at the vet. A few extra dollars on shots is worth it when it means your pup is less likely to get sick. The treatment is far more expensive than the vaccinations.
tjbsandy

Postby J.N.O. Pits and Pix » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:24 am

Four boosters and a rabies? I don't think so...normally, they get their first booster between 4-6 wks (depending on the breeder and vet), next one at 12 wks, and a final booster at 16 wks and a Rabies (though I don't recommend doing the final booster and Rabies together in case of reaction). I'm not a vet, but I did just receive my Veterinary Assistant degree in November, and I've handled/vaccinated plenty of dogs to know this much. If you trust your vet, then go ahead and do what he/she recommends...but if the pup has already had two boosters and it can be proven by obtaining a copy of the records (including type of booster given/date given/person administering vaccine) then you can show it to your vet, and get by w/just one or two more boosters and the Rabies. If the person you got the pup from can't produce written records, then I would play it safe and do what the vet suggests b/c it's probably more likely than not that the pup didn't even receive a vaccine to begin with! While you're at it...have a general checkup done (have a stool sample collected to check for worms of any kind and de-worm if necessary), just to make sure the pup is overall healthy in general! Good luck w/your pup, and post pics! We love puppy pics!

Always,
Bev
J.N.O. Pits and Pix

Postby J.N.O. Pits and Pix » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:25 am

Correction to my previous post...I put the first booster at 4-6 wks...changing that to 8 wks of age (I was thinking of the first de-worming session)... :) Hey, nobody's perfect, right?!
J.N.O. Pits and Pix

Postby tjbsandy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:29 am

I'm not a vet, but we had the same issue with Lilith. The BYB that we got her from gave her one of the same type of shot, and the vet, now that I'm thinking about it, probably went back and did the course of three shots like normal. :aha:
Either way, I still say it's safer to let the vet handle it. :thumbsup:
tjbsandy

Return to Introductions