Passes all temper tests but bites at my face when teething

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Passes all temper tests but bites at my face when teething

Postby chson » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:31 am

My 11 week old passes all temperment tests that I've found on this forum. However, he'll exhibit extreme aggression when he's in the mood to chew. He leaps in snapping at my face, ears, hands, arms, chest, anything. After I tell him "NO!", he barks sharply and continues lunging at me. The only surefire way to stop him is by sticking and holding a chew bone in his mouth. If I continue to hold the bone he'll chew on it for 5-10 minutes which regresses his chewing urges and causes him to return to his relatively docile state.

What do you guys think of his behavior? He displays absolutely no aggression when I grab his food, water, toys, etc. but his urge to chew on my face is quite bothersome.
chson
Newborn Bully

Postby XtacyOD » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:41 am

Ive been having the same issues with my dog. What ive found is that after i say NO and he trys again i just turn my back to him and ignore him for a about a minute then he seems to get the idea.
XtacyOD

Postby tjbsandy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:01 am

He is trying to play. He is still a tiny baby and does not know what is and is not acceptable. Try yelping, like a hurt puppy would, then go into another room and close the door for a few minutes. This way the pup learns that biting will only take away the attention that he wants, and he will learn to stop biting. It takes a while, but he is just being a puppy. It's up to you to teach him how to act. :thumbsup:

Do a search in the training section fro play biting/mouthing. There are a ton of threads on this subject, because everybody (myself included) goes through it.
tjbsandy

Postby chson » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:23 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy to know that the behavior is normal.
chson
Newborn Bully

Return to Introductions