about me

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

about me

Postby Tabitha » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:52 pm

I'm a 25 year old stay at home mom of 2 skin kids, ages 8 and 2. I usually have a small scale zoo as far as pets go, at the moment I have a 11 month old citron cockatoo, a almost 2 year old great dane, 2 cats ages 3 years and 12 weeks and a red eared slider turtle.

I also have a "dumped" dog with me. She's a 3 year old pitty named Jiggs. I was contacted by a friend about a pitty near me that needed a home and since I do small scale rescue, she wanted to know if I knew of anyone who could take her. I found her a home, went and picked her up and found out she's heartworm positive....of course her new home bailed out on her. None of the non kill shelters near here will take her and of course none of them will help as far as her treatment goes. So here I am with a heartworm positive dog that I found out today could be pregnant as well.

I'm no stranger to the pittie breed, I've had them my entire life. What I am a stranger to is the prospect of a possiby pregnant one. All my pets have been spayed or neutered. I'm hoping to learn how to care for her babies and how to get her through this. (all the while hoping she's not pregnant.)
Tabitha

Postby ripley6 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:01 pm

:bowdown: Bless your big heart, hon, for taking her in! I don't know if an emergency spay is possible, but it seems it would be easier to fight the heartworms - ?

Oh, and :welcome:
ripley6
Forum Junky

Postby Tabitha » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:12 pm

I'm going to look into spay/abort, but after talking to my vet today, they won't be able to do a pregnancy test on her for at least another week. They said she's gotta be at least 4 weeks along for anything to show up.

Going by what I know...she had a litter of puppies aprox. 4-6 months ago and had been left with a male apbt in the backyard up untill 2 weeks before I got her, but had been left with a male puppy (hers) untill the day I got her. She's been here almost 2 weeks now, so going by the time she was with the grown male (more likely of the 2 to breed her) after next week the test should show either way...going by the least likely (pup was about 8 months old) I'm thinking in about 2-3 weeks that would show up.

I just want to bang my head on the walls and go beat the snot out of people who breed the crap outta their dogs cause they have blue puppies, brag about making 4 grand off of 4 litters (the mom just turned 3 in december) but at the same time won't put them on prevention. :po:
Tabitha

Postby Kaytlin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:07 pm

:welcome:
Kaytlin

Postby Phi » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:35 pm

welcome to the board andyoo're great for taking in the dog :thumbsup:
hope everything works out with the dog and the heartworms and pregnancy
Phi

Return to Introductions