Hello from Maine

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

Hello from Maine

Postby Jen in Maine » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:58 am

Hi,
My name is Jen. I'm a homemaker and homeschooling Mother of four. I have two daughters, ages 10 and 4, and two sons, ages 7 and 6.
We have two cats and an aquarium. :)

I joined this forum to do more reading and maybe post a question or two.

Right now we are making the decision between taking in a one year old, female pitbull or taking in a puppy from a woman who has sixteen of them that need good homes.

We're going to meet the female dog on Saturday and may spend the weekend with her. I don't know when we will go look at the puppies. We just have to decide if we will do well with this older dog. She is dog aggressive but is okay with puppies and some dogs. She is food motivated and trainable and learning to live with cats and doing okay with that. Her foster mom will give me free training classes and a clicker and all the stuff I need and she's already spayed and all that.

I guess there is just that temptation to pick out the free puppy and mold it, you know? Like I would know the puppy's whole life but this other dog has an unknown history. But I also know that any puppy - even well brought up, well trained ones can develop dog aggression and that it is normal for the breed. I also know that either way I go, lots of training and work with the dog will be in order (maybe I'm thinking the puppy will be easier in a way? like training is easier than untraining?).

Luckily - my husband is making the decision with me so that helps me feel better!

I really got on here too see if anyone would share stories about loving life with their dog-aggressive dog. :)
Should I start a thread on that somewhere else?
Nice to meet all of you - I've already read so many posts!
Sincerely,
Jen in Maine
Married to Hawk
Mom to Naomi, Elijah, Jonas, and Tamra Jane
loving life in our new Habitat for Humanity home on 3.9 acres of LAND!
Jen in Maine

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:05 am

Welcome to the forums.

There are pros and cons to taking either. Both will require work and training, though the adult may have already gone through some which would make your life easier.

Good luck in your decision either way!
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby moochesmama » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:28 am

Welcome! If the woman is the breeder of the 16 pups I would not reward her unethical behavior by taking a pup. Find a rescue. It also concerns me that someone would give away a pup...most reputable rescues will charge to recoup costs as well as to guage the seriousness of the adopters. If I were you I would go with the known quantity....
moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sivart » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:42 am

From the expierience my wife and I have had, I would recommend going with the older dog. You're getting a dog with a much better idea what it's temperment will be.

As far as living with a dog-agressive dog, it's not as difficult as it would seem initially. We've been working to socialize Brujha as best we can, and she's getting better, but still has her moments. :) As long as I've got a good hold on her leash, and pay attention (usually I'll notice other dogs before she will) she's easily controlable.
Sivart
Newborn Bully

Postby Darlazmum » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:16 am

Hi Jen,
I am also a homeschool mom, of 3 :) My husband and I faced the same decision just a month ago....because of our children and our 3 cats we decided on a litter of rescue pups. I did go that route because of the cats, I know there is a likelihood as a 1 or 2 year old she may not like these cats, but she loves them right now. I just want to forwarn you, this Board is very opinionated :) so take everyone's thoughts and see where the Lord is guiding your family. Also keep in the back of your head this is not a breed to mess around with, you may have to put your dog down if it did show agressions issues of the human nature (but coming from chihuahua's, that's almost any breed. The difference is the amount of damage this dog can inflict.) I have to tell you this is the most loving breed I have come across and is definitely a breed in need. And be prepared to have a dog that literally will not leave your side! :peace:
Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Return to Introductions