no longer pb owner but please read

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********

no longer pb owner but please read

Postby for cash's sake » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:18 pm

i began reading pitbull forum since last november. i adopted a 5 month old pit/lab mix sept 04. his name is cash and i only wish i had been better educated about "the breed" and sought help when i should have. cash is now back at the rescue because he became too agressive with my 10 1/2 yr old lab hershey and she could no longer go through it. at about 7 month i saw a change. cash was the puppy that was docile, playful, goofy and everything else you would want. maybe i was in denial, but i thought that since he was a "mix" it would all work out. i don't want others to go through the heartache i am going through, nor do i want other "pup's" to have to go through heartache either. alot of people come here with questions that maybe i can help answer. not just in the risk's of adopting a pit or pitmix. i miss him sovery much but as i told him the night before he left..we have to be strong.........
for cash's sake
Newborn Bully

Postby Cerise » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:47 pm

I'm really sorry to hear, hope things go better for you in the future.

Welcome to the forums. (:
Cerise

Postby Bowans_dad » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:31 pm

Sometimes you just don't know. We got Bowan knowing his mother was a bred fighter. We have 2 other dogs. Randa had to agree that if he was to get aggressive he'd be rehomed or put down depending on the circumstances. Hopefully it will never come to that. But you never KNOW. Never. You could have a dog with a 10 generation pedigree that have all shown no human aggression at all and have it attack someone for what we perceive as no good reason. A lot is genetics and a lot is socialization. Some say its all one and some say it's all the other. It's probably both BUT don't think that you can socialize aggression out of every dog that's got it in it's genes. Any dog can become dog aggressive, and while pit bulls have a bad rap, Some of the fights I've seen GSD's get into would turn your stomach. You never know. I'm sure you did everything you could. Don't let one bad dog make you think that all pits are like that. Spend a lot of time on this board reading and it'll help you next time.
Bowans_dad

Postby BullyBreedLover » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:50 am

That is a sad story....I am sorry. If you plan to adopt again i would definatly go for a grown dog so you know what the temperment will be. I had some issues with my pit at around 7 months also with my other dogs, i tried my hardest to get on top of things with training and watching. Now she is going to be a year and everyone is getting a long great. Of couse she is crated when i am away. But it all depends on the dog....Take your older dog to the shelter and ask for dogs that are friendly to other dogs.. Of course you still need to be careful with ANY dog....Good luck to you hope everything works out!
BullyBreedLover

Postby Bustersmama » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:04 am

Bowans_dad wrote:Sometimes you just don't know. We got Bowan knowing his mother was a bred fighter. We have 2 other dogs. Randa had to agree that if he was to get aggressive he'd be rehomed or put down depending on the circumstances. Hopefully it will never come to that. But you never KNOW. Never. You could have a dog with a 10 generation pedigree that have all shown no human aggression at all and have it attack someone for what we perceive as no good reason. A lot is genetics and a lot is socialization. Some say its all one and some say it's all the other. It's probably both BUT don't think that you can socialize aggression out of every dog that's got it in it's genes. Any dog can become dog aggressive, and while pit bulls have a bad rap, Some of the fights I've seen GSD's get into would turn your stomach. You never know. I'm sure you did everything you could. Don't let one bad dog make you think that all pits are like that. Spend a lot of time on this board reading and it'll help you next time.

Bowans dad, why would you get a pit bull knowing that it could turn out aggressive with the intention of rehoming it? Just curious...?

Thanks for coming to the forum, welcome and I am sorry it had to be under these circumstances!
Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby rednoseErnie » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:38 pm

Bowan's dad, you seem to be talking about human aggression, while the OP is talking about dog-dog aggression.

I hope you don't mean that if Bowan becomes dog-aggressive you'd put him down or rehome him?
rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby heather » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:23 pm

That is a sad story. Not all pitbulls exhibit aggression, some only in some circumstances and only with certain dogs, some every dog, some not unless provoked. One of mine (2 1/2) has shown none even when provoked the other only when repeatedly provoked after he tried to walk away.

It is hard when you have an elderly dog that can't really defend themselves. It is good that you are reading the forum, but I agree that the potential for dog aggression is always there with any breed but holds special social and practical concerns. I always warn people about the dog aggression, but I don't think it always is a detterent to owning the breed. I am fully prepared that one day maybe they don't get along-they are seperated when I am not here and I walk them seperate now anyways unless someone is with me to walk one of them.

Sorry about your situation, but glad you are continuing to educate yourself.
heather
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bowans_dad » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:24 pm

He will be put down if he gets human aggressive, he will be re homed to a single dog home if he gets dog aggressive. If we didnt rescue him, he'd be dead right now. We gave him a chance. That's how rescue works.....
Bowans_dad

Postby mayhem » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:35 pm

i was offered my pit , for doing a tattoo on a breeder, and before i did it
i did alot of research on pit's.
i had a polmeranian when i got mayhem, (5 weeks) old and my polm. was agressive to him so i got rid of the polm.
but now at 6 weeks mayhem growls and snaps at every dog he meets.
both of his parents are gental dogs but, looks like he might dog agressive.
don't really matter to me, i'm trying to socialize him with other dogs.
but it's not going very well.
mayhem

Postby Bowan's Momma » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:37 pm

Bustersmama wrote:Bowans dad, why would you get a pit bull knowing that it could turn out aggressive with the intention of rehoming it? Just curious...?

rednoseErnie--Bowan's dad, you seem to be talking about human aggression, while the OP is talking about dog-dog aggression.
I hope you don't mean that if Bowan becomes dog-aggressive you'd put him down or rehome him?

I have NO intentions of rehoming my dog...I have rescued it knowing that our dog's personality is not fully developed, I am aware that some dogs can become very dog aggressive, and if he becomes that way, God forbid, I will place him in a comparible home in which he would be the only dog. I have two other dogs, and I will not further ruin the reputation of pitties by knowingly keeping uncompatible dogs together. I am a responsible owner, provide Bowan all opportunities to socialize in a positive manner with people, AS WELL as dogs. I promised my husband that if Bowan was aggressive with humans, he would be pts, if dog aggressive, rehomed...

"Randa had to agree that if he was to get aggressive he'd be rehomed or put down depending on the circumstances."

That does not state...we have the intention of rehoming him...that is stating we adopted a 5 week old pittie, from a shelter, with unknown heritages, and we will try, to the best of our ability, to provide Bowan the tools he will need to be a well mannered as well as safe dog.

If Bowan becomes dog-aggressive we will be in the same boat as Cash.
Cash, Welcome to the board...sorry to distract from your intro...hope all works well for you in the future.
Bowan's Momma

Postby Bowans_dad » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:37 pm

Good luck, socializing a pit to other dogs can be an extremely hard thing to do. It can be with any dog don't get me wrong, But Pits, like GSD's are a handful anyway. I hope your successful.
Bowans_dad

Postby Bowans_dad » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:42 pm

Sorry my last post should have quoted what Mayhem said up there.
Bowans_dad

Postby Bowan's Momma » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:46 pm

mayhem wrote:i
i had a polmeranian when i got mayhem, (5 weeks) old and my polm. was agressive to him so i got rid of the polm.
but now at 6 weeks mayhem growls and snaps at every dog he meets.

Let him have time to adjust to new surroundings and try to let your dog have positive interactions with other dogs...it may also be a phase...Bowan growled about everything for the first week we had him home...he's chilled out in the past week.
Bowan's Momma

Postby mayhem » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:52 pm

well we got top $$ out of the polm. but the polm started acting up.
but mayhem (my pit) loved to play with the polm.
now everyother dog he meets he has to growl at.
i am working with him, but he's still very young so he might grow out of it.
mayhem

Postby Bowans_dad » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:56 pm

I should have paid better attention. But let me make sure I understand you first. Mayhem is 6 weeks old? And your worried about dog aggression? He should be growling and chewing and fighting with everything. Hell if just growling at 6 weeks is aggression, then hell Bowan is object aggressive, toe aggressive, finger aggressive, laptop aggressive, computer mouse aggressive, dog aggressive and at times, air aggressive. Let him be a puppy while he can.
Bowans_dad

Next

Return to Introductions